VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 25, 2017, 01:15 PM

Anyone have any idea as to who composed what in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games? To be honest for spin-offs like them I was amazed at the quality of the soundtrack, not the soundfont so much as the composition.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 09:34 AM

To begin, as far as I know, there is no detailed information regarding composers credits of any Dungeon games.

I can only speculate by comparing the tracks to Arata's compositions as S.S.D.FANTASICA, and the tracks from the second game I think very likely were composed by him are:
- Pokemon Exploration Team Theme
- Treasure Town
- Dialga's Fight to the Finish! (literally an S.S.D.FANTASICA song but with poorer sound)
- Time Gear... and its various arrangements? Honestly not sure if Arata composed and arranged all of them himself or if another composer(s) had a hand(s) in the other tracks with the same motif.
It has been a long while since I last listened to the first game's soundtrack, so I can't make any comment about that now.

Thank you for bringing this up, by the way! It has always intrigued me to figure out who did what in Dungeon games, but unfortunately I'm not very familiar with other composers in the series and it seems there isn't much (if any) discussion about this topic online. I know this is not a lot either, but I hope we can learn more from this thread.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 09:57 AM

I'm not too familiar with the composers either. I have heard that regarding the Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky trio that all the new dungeon tracks in Sky were composed by Keisuke Ito and listed on his website at some point.

I just checked Ito's website and here's the quote on his Portfolio page, as Google Translated from Japanese to English.

Quote:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sky Expedition Corp. Pokemon Official Site Nintendo DS ( Composing all newly added dungeon BGM, all songs implemented
)
So there's that, at least.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 06:59 AM

Ah, yes, looking at his portfolio, that's correct about Sky. On top of my mind that would be Spinda's Cafe, Shaymin Village, and all Sky Peak BGM.

For Time/Darkness, let me see...

Quote:
ポケモン不思議のダンジョン 時の探検隊・闇の探検隊
ニンテンドーDS (数十曲を作曲、全曲を実装)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness
Nintendo DS (Composed dozens of songs, implemented all songs)

...I suppose the latter means he was also in charge of putting them in the cart? The soundfont? This goes to Sky too, interesting to know.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silurica View Post
Ah, yes, looking at his portfolio, that's correct about Sky. On top of my mind that would be Spinda's Cafe, Shaymin Village, and all Sky Peak BGM.

For Time/Darkness, let me see...

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness
Nintendo DS (Composed dozens of songs, implemented all songs)

...I suppose the latter means he was also in charge of putting them in the cart? The soundfont? This goes to Sky too, interesting to know.
Do "Spinda's Cafe" and "Shaymin Village" count as dungeon BGM? I'm also not sure about one of the "Sky Peak" ones as I believe a couple tracks were imported from Red/Blue Rescue Team - indeed, "Sky Peak Cave" is just "Buried Relic" from those two games and "Murky Forest" is "Tiny Woods"! "Spacial Cliffs" and "Icicle Forest" are also Ito's.

(This convo. has become more about Ito then Iiyoshi, so I'm moving my findings regarding Sky to his thread.)

Last edited by GDPR_delete_03; Feb 28, 2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:59 PM

Arata Iiyoshi seems to have released a whole new album yesterday, it's called "Ethnoplex":
https://linkco.re/f3v5dmtV?lang=en

I've listened to the tracks, and oh man, he hasn't lost his touch over the years...
Old May 9, 2020, 12:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

Thanks for the heads up. I added it here: https://vgmdb.net/album/98683

Also, I missed these posts by him...

August 27, 2018 - https://twitter.com/arata_ssdesign/s...73475675029505
Quote:
Thank you for asking about "Mystery Dungeon" soundtrack.
I've received many requests from my contact form.
At the urging of many massage,I'm negotiating with companies.
Thanks for your cheering!
September 4, 2018 - https://twitter.com/arata_ssdesign/s...02329150484481
Quote:
Some people say "official soundtrack",but I can't make "official"soundtrack.
Other musicians also wrote the "Mystery Dungeon" musics.
I can only propose using musics "composed by myself" to company.
So if my offer will be allowed,I can make non-official.
May 1, 2019 - https://blog.ssd-studio.com/137/
Quote:
[Announcement] About PMD musics, I can’t support,sorry.

*My English is poor…sorry.

Sometimes I’ve received messages about PMD music.

I can’t use PMD music,because of licence agreement.
(( For example,sell,remake,remaster,and so on.))

In Japan,company has Game Sound’s licences by cultural practice.
I can’t use,sell,and support these musics,and I can’t reply to questions about these musics.

I hope you will understand my situation.

About PMD music and PMD sound track,please contact associated company.

* I contacted company but I’ve not replied,sorry. And I could not search who has these licences.
Why do Japanese game developers have to make it so difficult to release soundtracks? He reached out to them about a release and they either turned him down or didn't respond at all. I guess we're never going to see a PMD soundtrack...
Old May 19, 2020, 01:03 PM

If he has no rights to any of it but Ito is a part of Noisycroak, could this mean there's a chance of a soundtrack release for DX, though?

Ito seemed to do a startling amount of the material for Explorers (like more than half), though I'm not quite confident enough to make the detailed post I want to about that just yet...hearing Iiyoshi's new solo album will help clarify it some more. Thanks for the heads-up on that, Hexagon.

Last edited by Sherkel; Oct 17, 2021 at 07:09 AM.