VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:19 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Someone must have gotten this wrong, John Baker isn't dead. Vince Littleton, the drummer on the Sega Tunes confirmed over a phone call to MAGFest official Nick Mayonaise that John is alive and well, and Jamie Brewer, the bassist on same said album, sent a Facebook message saying the BBC guy is an entirely different guy. The brother of the BBC employee also noted that he had never heard of him working on any video games, and the name Toe Jam and Earl didn't ring any bell either.

Even more evidence of the info here being wrong, Mustin of the The OneUps had a phone conversation with him 2-3 years ago, so unless his phone is connected to Purgatory, it's safe to assume that the John Baker who passed away isn't this man.

Last edited by Akumu; Apr 15, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Very interesting. For now, I've removed all the information that was in the biography. I would be very interested in having more information about the ToeJam's composer, as we have no more information about what he did besides this soundtrack.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't think there's a whole lot of information about the VGM composer John Baker around, but I can help a little bit.

He was a part of Mark Miller's music production company Nu Romantic Productions, along with a few other guys, like Jim Hedges and Kurt Harland. There isn't a whole lot of information about NRP around the internet either; the Last.fm artist page for NRP has a short paragraph of info (I have no idea how accurate any of it is). They were responsible for some absolutely wonderful soundtracks.

Besides the two TJ&E games, Baker himself seems to have also worked on Slam City with Scottie Pippen and Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour, according to the VGM Rush archives. The latter game was released in 2000, and the BBC musician Baker died in 1997, so that may be more evidence that they're not the same person.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks for this additional info. Also, there are a lot of games credited in MobyGames with this name, but could be other(s) person(s).

Last edited by Revoc; Apr 17, 2010 at 03:34 PM.