VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 5, 2013, 08:24 AM

The original composers from Suikoden IV, Masahiko Kimura and Michiru Yamane, should be added in blue. While uncredited, most of the songs are from Suikoden IV, with arrangement by Norikazu Miura. Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 06:43 PM

Isn't there a data track at the end of disc 2 containing icons and wallpapers? I'm just wondering if we're supposed to add those to the tracklist or not.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 08:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor

My inclination is ... no, don't add a data track to the tracklist. Just mention that there's icons and wallpapers on disc 2 in the notes section.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 08:48 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Disc 2 is a CD Extra disc, so don't add a data track. Data tracks are only needed for mixed mode CDs because the data track info needs to be there for CDDB lookups to work properly.

Just add a description about the CD Extra contents to the liner notes.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 08:49 PM

Okay, I'm just thinking about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Note that the freedb protocol finds CDs based on a combination of the total number of tracks and total playtime, so if the track times of a particular tracklist aren't correct, you may not get a match. This would be a good opportunity to fix missing or inaccurate info in our tracklists.\
Does this no longer apply? It would seem like we'd need to add data tracks for that functionality. CHz ninja'd me, haha. Also, it seems weird not to add a track to a CD when that CD does have that track. Those are just my thoughts though.

CHz: I don't quite understand the reasoning, disc 2 is a mixed mode CD, isn't it? It has 31 audio tracks, and then track 32 is a data track. It's not just an extra disc with only data on it. Or am I not understanding a distinction you're making?

Last edited by Mortavia; Dec 1, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 08:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Is it? I don't own this album, but the disc 2 scan has the CD Extra logo on it and it has 10 successful CDDB lookups without the data track.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 09:00 PM

Oh... hmm. Well, that's odd about the freedb lookups, then. But disc 2 has a full tracklist of music, and CDJapan also lists 72 tracks in total on their page. That's the 71 audio tracks we have listed plus the data track at the end. Track 72 is described as (エンハンスド)デスクトップアクセサリー集収録 (壁紙&アイコン集), which is (Enhanced) Desktop Accessories Collection (Wallpaper & Icon Collection). I'm as certain as I can be without having the CD physically in my possession that this is a multi-session CD, as I don't own a copy of the soundtrack either. I really don't know what to say about the freedb lookups though.

Last edited by Mortavia; Dec 1, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Sorry, it looks like I was confused about how CD Extra discs work with CDDB. For some reason I thought the disc ID calculation ignored the extra session data track for CD Extra discs, but it turns out that behavior's not standardized; some databases intentionally ignore it and some programs don't include it because of the way they read the disc, but other programs do include the data track with the audio tracks. I looked up some CD Extra discs on freedbtest and found more than one example of it having two different tracklists for the same CD: one submitted with the data track and one without.

It looks like most CD Extra submissions we have here don't include the data track, but I'd have to check with Secret Squirrel to verify we're doing about those.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:37 PM

Okay, thanks for looking into it. I've noticed that we included it on a few occasions and remembered what Blah said about how it the freedb finds CDs, so I'm very curious as to what the standard is. It looks like the data track isn't needed, since 10 people successfully looked this CD up, but something else could be at work there (I dunno really).
Old Dec 2, 2013, 08:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Luckilly for cases like this, you can enter the exact DiscID on the media tab, and the freedb server will find the album. It's probably the safest way, and it makes it irrelevant whether or not you enter a time for the data track. I haven't had much luck with freedb lookup when there's a data track (unless I had the discID).