VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:21 PM

Default Arrange Album or Original Soundtrack?

I notice that a lot of Japanese games have an original soundtrack album and an arrange album (and now also a drama album). If you can only choose one or the other, which one do you pick?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:23 PM

Generally the original soundtrack, because arrange albums tend to be hit or miss.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:50 PM

Seconded. Definitely the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
Generally the original soundtrack, because arrange albums tend to be hit or miss.
That's a quite good reason; sometimes the interprations the arrangers could take, could very much differ from what you envisioned for the song/album.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 03:52 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Although not much of a risk taker, I tend to prefer the arrange albums. For many that I've heard, the one's that are a hit hit hard and in every way surpass the original soundtrack.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:47 AM

Original, for reasons already listed by others.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:51 AM

Original. Nothing causes pain like finding out the arranged album you just got has... vocals.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:28 PM

I prefer the originals, even though I have to admit that some arrangements can sometimes be superior.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:04 AM

Hmmm. I almost always prefer the arranged album over the originals, except when the arranged version is a piano collection. Especially when I've played the game before, I often find the originals boring compared to arranged versions.

I think that composers have more time to devote all their focus on making music for the best listening experience possible when an arranged version is being composed. For original versions, the focus is on getting the music done in time for the game, and there may be other considerations than making music that's beautiful to listen to when standing alone.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 02:53 PM

For me, arranged > original more often than not. There are a couple exceptions (Ys ~ The Oath in Felghana, for instance), but for the most part, this holds true.

If I were to take a chance on listening to the music to a game I had not played, I would be much more likely to try an arranged album if one was available.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
VGMdb Staff

For me it depends a lot on whether I've played the game or not. If I have, I'll tend to prefer the original. Otherwise I don't have a strong preference either way since I have no attachment to the music anyway.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 05:05 PM

For the most part I also prefer original albums, at least you know what to expect. Besides the "hit or miss" it also happens that arrange albums are usually shorter and maybe even don't feature your favourite track of the game.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 09:28 PM

Sometimes, a good arrange collection may make me check out the game itself, or at least the OST. In casual listening though, I tend to go more for arrangements.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintin3265 View Post
I think that composers have more time to devote all their focus on making music for the best listening experience possible when an arranged version is being composed. For original versions, the focus is on getting the music done in time for the game, and there may be other considerations than making music that's beautiful to listen to when standing alone.
That's a good point there. Makes alot of sense. I think I appreciate the arrangements a bit more now than the original music. And now that I think about it, I tend to casually listen to the arrangements most of the time anyway.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 02:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Overall, I prefer the originals. One reason being that many arrange albums don't even include all of the tracks. There can be some great arrange albums that render the originals mostly obsolete (e.g. Remastered Tracks Rockman Zero series), but these are rare cases. The other reason being that I generally just prefer to hear new compositions rather the same old ones revisited.

Tags
arrange soundtrack, original soundtrack