VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 30, 2013, 01:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Emi Evans confirmed her presence on this soundtrack on Facebook a few days ago.

*Thumbs up*
Old Dec 1, 2013, 06:05 AM
Trusted Editor

If we can expect more of those Nier-style vocals by Evans, then consider me highly interested!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 09:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah, though I'd like something fresh too.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:44 AM

Excellent song. Looped it a dozen times.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:25 PM

For those interested, a second sample is up on the OST page.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 06:36 AM

Second sample isn't doing anything for me.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:18 PM

Here's me hoping this is as good as the Nier OST.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 07:54 AM

Hi. I wonder if the English tracklist translation taken from my translation from my blog or playlist. I'm not the one who posted it here. Just want a confirmation though, because it is not an official translation but I did my best to translate it. Please let me now if there're something wrong about it. Thank you.

Last edited by rologeass; Jan 11, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rologeass View Post
Hi. I wonder if the English tracklist translation taken from my translation from my blog or playlist. I'm not the one who posted it here. Just want a confirmation though, because it is not an official translation but I did my best to translate it. Please let me now if there're something wrong about it. Thank you.
Oh no, I got it from a playlist in Youtube, if it's yours okay I'll credit it. Sorry my Japanese is not too good either.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:09 AM

I've also uploaded my translation on my blog at the following site, if anyone is interested:

drakengard-3.com

Many of the Japanese titles are not true words found in any dictionary, so translations will probably vary greatly. I like to be a little more creative with translations, carefully selecting words that best capture the feeling of the music or aspect of the story, while staying true to the overall meaning of the original title.

Last edited by Rekka Alexiel; Jan 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ina-chan012 View Post
Oh no, I got it from a playlist in Youtube, if it's yours okay I'll credit it. Sorry my Japanese is not too good either.
yeah that was mine. I made some little revision on my blog. Well it's okay to use any translation, but please make some notes somewhere on the page that it's not an official ones. The official translation usually come along with CD jacket. Just an advice though, thank's
Old Jan 14, 2014, 03:49 AM

Btw, I recently asked composer Okabe Keiichi via Twitter whether or not he knew if there were any official titles to the soundtrack. He said it was possible but he didn't recall there ever being any English titles. If there will be any official titles to the tracks, we may have to wait until the CD is actually released. It sounds like the composers might not actually be the ones in charge of that. :P

https://twitter.com/RekkaAlexiel/sta...43157581148160
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Direct links to the samples from the website:
Code:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_02.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_03.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_04.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_05.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_06.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_07.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_09.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_10.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_11.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_12.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_13.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_14.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_15.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_16.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_18.mp3
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/mp3/D1_19.mp3
Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:45 PM

No English track titles on the album this time.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 01:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Could you please give details for the addition of these names as performers: [Nami Nakagawa, YORUHA, Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi, Takanori Goto]
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Could you please give details for the addition of these names as performers: [Nami Nakagawa, YORUHA, Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi, Takanori Goto]
Ok...

Nami Nakagawa (singer/choir) :On Disc 1 track 4, 6, 14
YORUHA (singer) :On Disc 2 track 2-11
Keiichi Okabe (choir): On Disc 1 track 2
Keigo Hoashi on Piano (the tracks isn't specified)
Takanori Goto on Guitar (the tracks isn't specified)

Source: a little CD details and their official personal social media account. If those aren't reliable I'm really sorry but that's what I really got so far. Thank you.

Last edited by rologeass; Jan 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:02 PM

Ran this review today:

http://www.scarletmoonproductions.co...dragoon-3-ost/

Very different from NieR, but I guess I wasn't really expecting a repeat. Just hoping.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:06 AM

Pretty much agreed with reviewer. DOD3 ost doesn't quite make an impact as NieR did, though it has some excellent compositions throughout. And yes it's different, yet some pieces are reminiscent of NieR. And there are little bonuses like DLC NieR rearranged tracks DOD Chips Music CD, so it's not like they completely leave us out in the cold ^_^
Old Jan 22, 2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLO View Post
Pretty much agreed with reviewer. DOD3 ost doesn't quite make an impact as NieR did, though it has some excellent compositions throughout. And yes it's different, yet some pieces are reminiscent of NieR. And there are little bonuses like DLC NieR rearranged tracks DOD Chips Music CD, so it's not like they completely leave us out in the cold ^_^
Also, it's interesting that this was brought up, because this was *exactly* what both Yoko Taro & Okabe Keiichi discussed in their brief and rather round about commentary on the Soundtrack page:

From drakengard-3.com:
Quote:
Well, please introduce yourselves.

Okabe (O): Hello. I’m Okabe Keiichi, acting as musical director for DOD3.
Yoko (Y): I’m Yoko Taro. I worked as the creative director.
O: You know, we just kinda came here without anyone calling us in……

Yes, actually……

Y: Ah, would you like us to make a comment for the sountrack?
O: Why the formal language? haha
Y: There’s a time for everything……right?
O: No. Not at all.

Um……

Y: So, how’s the soundtrack?
O: What do you mean, how?
Y: No, how about, “We really made an awesome product with this one, so be sure to buy it” or something like that?
O: I can’t say that!
Y: Huh? Why not?
O: Because, you kept telling me, “Make it sound different from Nier, different from Nier” so much, like a curse, that I ended up making something with a completely different pattern…

Uhhh…….

Y: But it’s not interesting to only do the same thing, right?
O: Yeah but, to have written this many different sounding songs…
Y: Like the boss themes?
O: Yes, yes. I made them as I was told but I kept wondering “Is this okay?” until the very end.
Y: Hey, that’s it. Like a challenging, avant-garde style? That’s what it feels like.
O: I have no clue.

Avant-garde……?

Y: Like an overindulging feeling, perhaps?
O: C’mon, this has nothing to do with music. What is that, “overindulging feeling”?
Y: Even so, if you’re professional, you must have thought, “I tried to make new ground. That is more than enough.” right?
O: I told you, I can’t say such portentous things!
Y: Tisk.
O: Did you just ’tisk’ me?
Y: I did not.
O: ……okay then.

……Umm— Well, finally could you say something to your fans…

Y: Okabe-san has worked very hard to burn this CD, so everyone please relax and wait for its release.
O: A lot of work went into the making of this CD, so I would be extremely pleased if you give it a listen.
Y: As long as you buy it, it won’t matter if you don’t listen to it.
O: That’s so wrong!

…………Thank you very much.
So, I really don't think you can compare this soundtrack with Nier. The two games were very different and therefore require a different type of soundtrack. Since DOD3 is less character-based compared to Nier and much more action-based, there needed to be more ACTION in the music as well--I mean, just check out those boss themes, for example. Plus, Okabe did exactly what Yoko Taro told him to do--to do something DIFFERENT from Nier. This soundtrack is exactly that.

It's difficult for me to say one is better than the other, but for me, I still like Nier better because of its style and extensive character development and emotional soundtrack. There are still some great things coming out of the DOD3 soundtrack, though. <3 .........and I also have a difficult time listening to some of those boss themes simply because it brings me back to those fights...which sucked...completely. Ugh.

Last edited by Rekka Alexiel; Jan 22, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 09:10 PM

Excuse me.. Any info on the string / violin players? Seems I can't find the info. Did they went with DAISENSEI string again? Because some tracks seems have a bit strange string sounds that I don't recognize on all of his works.

But I'm pretty much in love the string works in this OST even though not as powerful as Nier's Gods Bound by Rules.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Excuse me.. Any info on the string / violin players? Seems I can't find the info. Did they went with DAISENSEI string again? Because some tracks seems have a bit strange string sounds that I don't recognize on all of his works.

But I'm pretty much in love the string works in this OST even though not as powerful as Nier's Gods Bound by Rules.
Yes, they went with Daisensei Muroya Strings (how it is listed in the booklet)
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:55 AM

Contrary to Jayson, this soundtrack did not disappoint me. It recaptures that haunting, chaotic beauty the series' music has become known for while taking things to the next level with its modernist orchestrations and vocal parts. A wonderful soundtrack in its own right and also a very worthy follow-up to Nier, Drakengard, and Drakengard 2.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekka Alexiel View Post
So, I really don't think you can compare this soundtrack with Nier. The two games were very different and therefore require a different type of soundtrack. Since DOD3 is less character-based compared to Nier and much more action-based, there needed to be more ACTION in the music as well--I mean, just check out those boss themes, for example. Plus, Okabe did exactly what Yoko Taro told him to do--to do something DIFFERENT from Nier. This soundtrack is exactly that.
Well that makes sense. I think a DOD soundtrack isn't suppose to sound like Nier in the first place even if it's done by the same people as Nier.
The games have different tones, or different driving forces if you will.
Like you said DOD3 is more action based. Nier stays with the person for its emotianl value, there's something about that music that I can't put my finger on it, but it's like something simple and basic yet very important.
That music is easy to listen to, and then eventually it kinda makes you think about what's important... think about things on a larger scale and on personal scale. Or at least that's how it worked for me.

Quote:
.........and I also have a difficult time listening to some of those boss themes simply because it brings me back to those fights...which sucked...completely. Ugh.
Did they really? Well they better fix that shit for North American release or it aint gonna be good!

Btw someting just hit me - those lyrics during boss batlles are actual lyrics (Japanese) or it's gibberish?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Yes, they went with Daisensei Muroya Strings (how it is listed in the booklet)
Ah.. nice.. Let's add him to performers list

Quote:
Btw someting just hit me - those lyrics during boss batlles are actual lyrics (Japanese) or it's gibberish?
The main lyrics written on the booklet is all on a chaos Katakana without a space. But if you read it on different way, it's actually becoming a clear japanese word but still doesn't make sense.
The singer seems sang it in such gibberish way so it doesn't feels like japanese words.
There're also translation under the main lyrics that pretty much a complete version of the lyrics which actually translate the lyrics into a proper japanese sentences.

Oh btw.. About the singer on boss music... who is she? Is she using a pseudonym?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Did they really? Well they better fix that shit for North American release or it aint gonna be good!
haha Well, it was probably my fault anyway. I'm not the best action based gamer. :P But simply the higher difficulty level (you can't change the difficulty!!), it made the whole game all that more TENSE to go through. Especially the very end. I don't remember the last game that literally had me shaking and that emotional to finish. Geesh!

Quote:
Actually, although it's difficult to read full katakana like that, there is still meaning in there, although it is very basic. Just imagine English without any articles or direction words, only leaving nouns and a few verbs... That's what it's like. It takes a lot of imagination to get the meaning, but even so, it's not impossible. Having the meaning completely spelled out after it, of course, helps. xP

Anyway, I have the lyrics in the crazy full katakana, romaji, Japanese interpretation, as well as my Japanese interpretation on my page below. It also includes the hilarious discussion between Yoko Taro and Zero, as well as Okabe Keiichi's liner notes.

http://drakengard-3.com/blog/2014/01...es-and-lyrics/

Quote:
Oh btw.. About the singer on boss music... who is she? Is she using a pseudonym?
I believe that's Nakagawa Nami...but I suppose it could be YoRHa, too. I did some research last night and I remember listening to some vocal samples, and it sounded like Nakagawa Nami; I'll have to check again.

Edit: I asked her via twitter and she responded that she didn't have the CD around to check, but she credited herself with these three tracks:

04 侵贖 / Raid of Redemption - Battle Stage
Composition: Takahashi Kuniyuki & Okabe Keiichi
Arrangement: Takahashi Kuniyuki
Sung by: Nakagawa Nami
Lyrics: Kikuchi Hana

06 不情 / Merciless - Battle Stage
Composition & Arrangement: Hoashi Keigo

14 転歩 / Altered Steps
Composition & Arrangement: Ishihama Kakeru

I'll try to get more info from her, but if you're just judging on voice alone, she has the more operatic voice... so maybe she was featured more in the non-boss battles? I'd have to research YoRHa further to distinguish their voices apart.

Last edited by Rekka Alexiel; Jan 23, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
ドラッグ・オン・ドラグーン3というゲームのサントラCDを買ってみたら、2枚目のCDで10曲も歌唱して いるヨルハがすごくいい。
It confirmed to be YoRHA but what maters is her profile is still unknown. I searched it on the whole internet but still no catch. Maybe she's someone who's familiar in VGM world then using pseudonym for the OST (Like Nobuyoshi Sano > Denji Sano > sanodg)
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
ドラッグ・オン・ドラグーン3というゲームのサントラCDを買ってみたら、2枚目のCDで10曲も歌唱して いるヨルハがすごくいい。
Quote:
It confirmed to be YoRHA but what maters is her profile is still unknown. I searched it on the whole internet but still no catch. Maybe she's someone who's familiar in VGM world then using pseudonym for the OST (Like Nobuyoshi Sano > Denji Sano > sanodg)
Any idea who said that? ^^;; Actually, wait a minute. lol It clearly lists everyone in the CD insert. *runs away*

So the question isn't about who sung on what track but rather who *is* this "YoRHa" person, yeah? Sorry, I totally missed that. I think I found someone interesting, but I won't know if it's accurate until later.

Last edited by Rekka Alexiel; Jan 23, 2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
The main lyrics written on the booklet is all on a chaos Katakana without a space. But if you read it on different way, it's actually becoming a clear japanese word but still doesn't make sense.
The singer seems sang it in such gibberish way so it doesn't feels like japanese words.
There're also translation under the main lyrics that pretty much a complete version of the lyrics which actually translate the lyrics into a proper japanese sentences.
Quote:
Actually, although it's difficult to read full katakana like that, there is still meaning in there, although it is very basic. Just imagine English without any articles or direction words, only leaving nouns and a few verbs... That's what it's like. It takes a lot of imagination to get the meaning, but even so, it's not impossible. Having the meaning completely spelled out after it, of course, helps. xP

Anyway, I have the lyrics in the crazy full katakana, romaji, Japanese interpretation, as well as my Japanese interpretation on my page below. It also includes the hilarious discussion between Yoko Taro and Zero, as well as Okabe Keiichi's liner notes.

http://drakengard-3.com/blog/2014/01...es-and-lyrics/
This is pretty interesting! I totally like the idea of what they did there. Not normal language but not completely gibberish. And it's cool that the lyrics and interpretation are provided for it. If they didn't include interpretation it could be a little too hardcore, it'd be like - here, decypher THIS.
>_<

So thanks for translation. This is good stuff. And maybe it'll make more sense after playing the game in English.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Any idea who said that? ^^;; Actually, wait a minute. lol It clearly lists everyone in the CD insert. *runs away*

So the question isn't about who sung on what track but rather who *is* this "YoRHa" person, yeah? Sorry, I totally missed that. I think I found someone interesting, but I won't know if it's accurate until later.
It's from her producer's tweet or something..

Btw I got it. YoRHA apparently is not a person, it's a group consisting girls under Moe Japan Production.

Last edited by rologeass; Jan 24, 2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Btw I got it. YoRHA apparently is not a person, it's a group consisting girls under Moe Japan Production.
Yes, this is what I have gathered, although there is very little known about them besides their shows at a shop called "Dear Stage" in Akihabara. They seem to be an Indies music group that has previous released a CD, I guess, but any details on that I don't know.

As you can see from this page, there seems to be 6 of them:

http://yorha.moejapan.jp/

YoRHa No2: Healer (Re-Assessing)
YoRHa No4: Executer (Seriously Injured)
YoRHa No9: Scanner (Deported)

YoRHa No11: Defender (Deployed)
YoRHa No12: Sniper (Deployed)
YoRHa No13: Attacker (Deployed)

I could be completely wrong, but I have a feeling from the statuses of No2, 4, and 9 that they are out and the next batch of girls are in, No11, 12, and 13. The Twitter accounts below are all followed by MONACA members, Aoi Eir, Yoko Taro, and others.

Here are some other related links:

YoRHa's CD for sale for 2,000yen
http://dearstage.shop-pro.jp/?pid=61434197

Aino Eri
https://twitter.com/ainoeri
http://ainoeri.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/ariashachou -the boss

Sakurai Tamaki
https://twitter.com/tamaki03
http://ameblo.jp/tmk0408/entry-11563712839.html

MOE Japan Home Page
http://moejapan.jp/unit/yorha/

Sho Yamashita & YoRHa
!!! This sound is SO DOD3 !!!
Sound Cloud Sample audio track of Normandy: https://soundcloud.com/syouyamashita...medium=twitter

Last edited by Rekka Alexiel; Jan 24, 2014 at 09:31 AM.