VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 14, 2018, 09:22 PM

Default CD Cases Breaking

Is it just me or are CD cases more fragile than they used to be?

I've had quite a few (sealed) CDs shipped recently with really good packaging but still ended up with cracked cases.

I've had a couple CD cases just sitting on my drawer (with maybe a couple other CD cases stacked on top of them) which ended up getting cracked just from that.

So now I'm looking into finding replacement cases and trays. Are there any you'd recommend or stay away from?

Also what's the best way to ship CDs? I've read that shipping cases disassembled works (but then the CD and artwork are exposed). So would shoving bubblewrap inbetween the CD and booklet be the best idea?

Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster; Feb 14, 2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 02:17 AM

I think that being plastic, all CD cases will eventually start to lose strength and flexibility and will crack and break. I notice this especially with yellowed cases, whether it's the transparent part of the case or the black/white disc holder; when they are yellowed due to bad storage (humidity, sunlight, etc.), they break more easily, as this process basically "speeds up" time.

But regarding new albums (meaning recently produced stuff), I've only had very few broken cases and those weren't due to the final shipping to me, but since they are shipped several times before (from production plant to distributor, from distributor to shop, from shop to purchase agent, etc.), I think it happened in one of those shipments and it's not related to flimsier or lower-quality material.

Generally though, I do agree that recent jewel cases are definitely flimsier and some are total crap. Just look at the SRIN or WaveMaster releases! Then compare them to the old D2 releases (G.S.M. Namco, Capcom...). There's no doubt the old ones are sturdier and heavier. I have a Winning Run jewel case in my hands right now, it feels real sturdy.

I wouldn't separate the case from the discs and paperwork. This is how my friend threw away a MIDI Power Pro6 spinecard, since it was packed separately and he didn't see it.
I pack each jewel case in some bubble wrap, or sometimes 2 jewel cases together, and then use a box, the sturdier the better. If the box is not very sturdy, make sure the jewel cases aren't too close to the edges of the box, fill up the edges with more bubble wrap and/or plastic chips or newspaper. That's what I do.

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Feb 25, 2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

As for replacement cases, I found some here: http://www.sleevecityusa.com/cd-cases-s/1553.htm

And here: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/catego...-disc-supplies (this place has white CD trays)

Unfortunately, for the black trays, neither place has the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo in them (even though the image shows it). The white trays have the logo, though; but they're whiter than the off-white trays that are often seen in the Bakumatsu soundtracks as well as the Solid Snake: Metal Gear 2 soundtrack.

Also, I bought some resealable sleeves here, because why not?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 09:02 PM

Yeah life's hard, I've been cleaning up some old soundtracks and the mix-and-match nightmare began, as in 'How to swap cases and trays that sort of match the original ones, but upgrading the nicest albums with the nicest condition'. Ended up with a huge mess but some anime albums of the wife helped to replace some horribly sunburned and scratched white trays.

It is really hard to be sure that you have the original case/tray for a certain album, especially when it might have come with different versions from the manufacturer itself, so you're always left wondering 'did the seller replace it or is this a different model from the factory?'.
note: this problem only happens if you like buying multiples of the same album.

Thanks for the links, I think I'll need reseable sleeves, but here are my problems:
- hate the little triangles sticking out from the 4 egdes. There are some sleeves I've seen in Japan that have holes at the edges, look much nicer when you store your albums vertically, but you gotta be careful as those edges are not protected anymore.
- hate sleeves that are too hard, but the soft ones tend to rip easily at the top joints, if you're not careful when inserting the case.
- sticky part must be at the back of the sleeve, not on the part that flips. ever had spinecards get stuck on the glue? usually the glue isn't powerful enough to damage them, but it happened once or twice in the past.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 05:18 PM

Sound Source CDs has the sleeves without the corners: http://store.soundsourcecds.com/inde...roducts_id=206 (but they don't have a seal)

The resealable sleeves also have the adhesive strip on the body of the bag (not the flap).

Do you know of any common albums that have the white tray that I'm talking about? Something that no one would care if it got replaced?

I read that lots of Japanese CDs of the '80s/early '90s use white trays. At least all the Dirty Pair soundtracks that I just bought use it.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 01:53 AM

The anime albums I stole the white trays from were pretty white, not sure they will match the KICA style of the 90s, although if damaged and/or faded enough, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it anyway.

If you were in Japan I'm sure you could buy shopping carts full of cheap crappy albums in good condition with white trays that have a nice "Compact Disc Digital Audio" double logo and no one would notice the swap

But are you sure they are of a different white? The few KICA-10XX I have right here seem to be pretty white, as in white

Oh and yeah, that's why black trays are better... they can't really sunfade... although there are zillion different models.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 06:15 AM

It's also challenging to get the weight right. Plastic jewel cases were heavier back in the day. You can find the right color replacements, but the weight will be off. In addition to the weight issue is the "flimsy" issue. Plastic is just cheap crap these days, especially in the toy market.