VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 25, 2018, 02:27 AM

Default Remove sticker glue from jewel case WITHOUT leaving any residue

Going crazy with this.

They said I could use turpentine. Works great on plastic seals with no residue afterward. But then I tried on jewel cases and it leaves a HORRIBLE residue like fog, like it has melted the plastic. This won't go away, so I basically have to throw away the cases, they look absolute crap now.

Then they said lighter fluid would work, but hey I tried on an expendable case and it's the same as turpentine.

Do you guys know what will actually work without destroying the surface of the case? Goo gone? It's not sold anywhere where I live so I'd have to order it online.

I ended up damaging an old Winning Run case with turpentine and I feel real sad about it, it was in fantastic condition with no scratches. Now I don't even want to keep it.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 04:01 AM
Trusted Editor

I use something called "Waschbenzin" to clean jewel cases and also discs. Removes grease and also glue residue. I know the fog effect from using ethanol or acetone e.g., where the latter heavily reacts with most kinds of plastic. Waschbenzin is much milder, and I haven't yet noticed any effect on the transparency of the plastic

I'm not sure how to properly translate Waschbenzin, but here's the Wikipedia entry.

And here's an image of the back side of the can, shows the ingredients:
Old Feb 25, 2018, 04:30 AM

perso, in case of glue residue, I use the freest tool I have aka finger =)
or shammy
Old Feb 25, 2018, 05:12 AM

Goo Gone works fantastically on standard jewel cases.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 07:42 PM

Thanks, I'll try goo gone when I find a shop that ships internationally. Or can you help send me 2/3 small bottles?

Waschbenzin looks to be similar to lighter fluid...? Well I have to say the fog after using lighter fluid have gotten better after 1/2 days. I just don't know... I'll have to check it more carefully under strong light again to see if it's really gone.

The fog from using turpentine certainly isn't gone, so I won't use it anymore.

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Feb 25, 2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 03:06 AM

My tried and true method is 99% isopropyl, applied gently with cotton buds to remove most of the problem, then buffed with microfibre cloth.

[/first world support group]
Old Mar 1, 2018, 08:54 PM

Really? Because my understanding is that alcohol has little effect on glue stuff. I'll try that first then, I can certainly find that more easily than goo gone. Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 05:01 PM

I used to leave my half-label ripped NES game cases in a tupperware tub of Goo Gone overnight (with the board taken out). And it worked well at removing those labels. But I'm not sure if it'll stain the clear plastic, though.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 01:07 PM

Acetone is another solvent worth trying.

"Solvents List: Acetone
ACETONE – This is a colourless and highly flammable solvent and can be found as an ingredient in products or used on its own. It also has a rapid evaporation rate from the atmosphere, water and soil. As a solvent it is used in the manufacture of most plastics, added as a volatile component to certain paint production, a thinning agent in fibreglass resin, polyester resin, vinyl, adhesives and nail polish remover. On its own it is primarily used as a cleaning agent when preparing metal, dissolves two-part epoxies and superglue before hardening, clean tools and removes dirt and residue from glass and porcelain without discolouring the item. It is also used widely in the artist industry for transfers of prints and photocopies. Acetone is also produced and disposed of by our own bodies and has certain medicinal qualities when used correctly."
Old Mar 10, 2018, 01:11 PM
Trusted Editor

No, acetone acts highly corrosive on plastic. Don't use it!

Acetone in action

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Mar 10, 2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:00 AM

Scotch + time is the best method I found.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
No, acetone acts highly corrosive on plastic. Don't use it!

Acetone in action
Whoa. I know to stay away from that stuff.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:43 PM

Agree that fast-touch with a piece of tape + patience works well, at least to remove the bulk of it. I somehow always forget about this technique, thanks for reminding.
I see the guys working at the smartphone repair booths, they do this all the time to carefully remove any glue/tape resiude from screens and bodies.

Now, I've seen this 'plastic scratch remover' which seems to work very well, see here
http://bordersdown.net/threads/12248...me-jewel-cases

Is there any chance this will actually remove the foggy residue that's on my cases, after I used turpentine and/or lighter fluid on them?

I guess I'll have to try to find out, but maybe someone can give some advice.

thanks and be well
Old Mar 26, 2018, 05:54 PM

Well I got a super fast reply from the guys at NOVUS POLISH:

"Thank you for your inquiry from our website. Normally, any type of solvent will soak into the pores of acrylic and polycarbonates. When this happens I still recommend NOVUS #2 but this will only take off what is on the surface. It won’t remove any damage that has gotten into the pores. Please let me know if you have any questions."

Live and learn I guess. I will still buy their kit, it will certainly come in handy for "normal" scratches later on.