VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:47 PM
Trusted Editor

Default [REQUEST] Automatic scan resizing, page centering

I think I've requested this somewhere before but I'll put it in a formal thread. Can you script the scan pages to automatically resize the scan to a reasonable width percentage of your browser real estate? Some of these really high quality scans are so big that you have to constantly zoom out or scroll left / right / up / down to see the image in it's entirety. I run my main monitor at 1920x1200 so if the image is too big to fit in even that window then that's a bit of a problem. I think it wouldn't be too much difficulty to identify the total width of your current browser and scale the image to a default percentage of that, say 95%, and for people who want to zoom in to read kanji they can always zoom in using the standard functionality.

It's really frustrating trying to open up a scan to look for credits and then having a gigantic scan where i can only see a quarter of the scan come up, and then have to CLICK scroll (because if i mousewheel scroll it zooms in / out) down and then scroll left/right, and to do this for multiple covers.

You should also really center the browser window to the image if it's scaled appropriately, or scale both x and y so that it fits in one (non scrollable) window. If I open a scan to a scan that's enormous, I can scroll mousewheel down once to get most of the notes, then probably scroll one more time before my entire window is covered with the scan and i can no longer mousewheel scroll up and down and have to manually click or page up/down.

I think the ideal solution would be to default scale any image > your screen real estate to fit exactly within your screen real estate without scrolling in any direction, and if you need finer detail, allow the user to zoom in accordingly.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

+1

A trick I use to avoid this with Firefox (other browsers may work too) is, click the "gallery" tab in the album page and then middle-click the scans. This way the image alone is opened and the browser auto-resizes it.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, i agree that this would be nice. We are using some pre-packaged library to handle image processing, so it's a matter of determining if it can be configured that way, or whether another better library can be found.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 05:16 AM

Does our scan zooming suppot touchpad? I can zoom in a scan only on the upper left corner (It doesn't help I'm a Macbook user of 2 weeks).
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:35 AM

is it possible to add a [_] in preferences about scans
instead of clicking each time on the scan link in the scan page to show the list of available scans
I'd like an option to show it by default (unchecked = not showed, checked = showed by default)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:30 PM

If Phonograph means to have either Gallery or List for the album art as default according to a check box for preferences then I agree with it.

Small other benefits I think would be good is a forward/backward button to scroll through scans on the album page (not the cover view area), a way to rotate scans to help with reading text. Maybe a slightly better way to zoom in and out.

Last edited by Fearin; Jul 21, 2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:06 PM

my first attempt of a post was to ask for prev/next links on scan page, but I discovered by clicking the name of the scan a list of icons appear so I changed my post to the one existing