VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 5, 2012, 03:15 AM

cedille: other best albums are limited, that's why I hesitate whether I should put limited or not
Old Mar 5, 2012, 03:40 AM

If there isn't a regular edition announced, then it means a limited run, so we should fix the past entries as well.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 03:42 AM

(actually, I still think that "if no regular edition available, any limited stuff mustn't be tagged as limited" policy is dumb, sorry if I awakened a sleeping monster)
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
(actually, I still think that "if no regular edition available, any limited stuff mustn't be tagged as limited" policy is dumb, sorry if I awakened a sleeping monster)
My rationale is that there must be a difference between "限定盤" and "限定生産盤", the former can be translated as a limited edition and normally accompanies with a regular edition, but the latter would be more like "a limited-production disc", and is called as such by record companies to tell customers "please buy it until it's sold out! come on!", rather than "we publish another edition that might interest you".

There are a number of albums that are somewhat limited in production ("1000 copy only" or such), but we don't call them as limited editions. So, even though some companies dare to call limited run products as such, I don't find it so logical to classify things based on how publishers are advertising stuff.

Also, everyone is given a place and opportunity to express their opinions and we'd always try to respect and listen to them, especially it's civil. There might have been some decisions that didn't make me the happiest, but I still don't call it dumb.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post

There are a number of albums that are somewhat limited in production ("1000 copy only" or such), but we don't call them as limited editions...

limited numbers of copies isn't limited? so why using "limited" if it's not limited (speaking about companies, supposed to be professional in music industry unlike vgmdb staff -no offense btw)
contradictory, no? but I think I've already spoken about it in an old post so whatever (I still think it's dumb and I won't change my mind whatever people can say to try to convince me)

edit: there is the Gintama BEST if you want an example why it shouldn't be used

let me guess, that idea of not using limited edition for unique albums is yours?

Last edited by Phonograph; Mar 5, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
limited numbers of copies isn't limited? so why using "limited" if it's not limited (speaking about companies, supposed to be professional in music industry unlike vgmdb staff -no offense btw)
This album was also manufactured by professionals but apparently was not called as an limited editions by them just because it was limited in numbers. If companies don't make things consistent, then it's our task to do so.

Quote:
edit: there is the Gintama BEST if you want an example why it shouldn't be used
Gintama Best seems to have a regular edition release, so there is no problem with labeling the other one as a limited edition. That's not the case with these Bleach albums, right?

All that being said, I'm okay that we're going to classify every limited-run album as limited editions if that makes people more convinced. Most of VGM albums are actually sort limited though...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:20 AM

my bad, I need to add info about that gintama best I'm speaking of
if I speak about this album in particular that's because for months (maybe some years), best 1 limited was the only album available making this album not "limited edition" in vgmdb till a regular edition finally appeared some months ago
with that info, can you be sure limited run albums will never get a regular edition? (no need for answering that)

on another note, I think I've proposed to have a "Limited Run" option for that sort of albums, not as the "Limited Edition" vgmdb option but still "Limited" for those albums
I don't remember if it has been discussed or/and ignored (too lazy to check the forums and posts about it)
Old Mar 6, 2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
my bad, I need to add info about that gintama best I'm speaking of
if I speak about this album in particular that's because for months (maybe some years), best 1 limited was the only album available making this album not "limited edition" in vgmdb till a regular edition finally appeared some months ago
with that info, can you be sure limited run albums will never get a regular edition? (no need for answering that)
I know you don't need an answer, but I once brought this subject to discuss about how to deal with Frontier Works drama albums, plenty of which were initially released as a first press limited edition (literally) with a bonus track featuring talks from voices actors. Not really many members were interested in the discussion, but I think we didn't take a later printing for granted, since nobody knows, at the stage of only knowing a 'supposedly preceding' release, if it would eventually come.

Meanwhile, it's more than fine to add info on limited production in the note field, unless it ever hurts quality of your entries.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Secret Squirrel, where did you get the credits from? I just want to know if the Aki Minegumi credit is accurate, because his full name is usually Aki Mimegumi.