VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:59 AM
VGMdb Staff

Default PCCG-00595: HOKUTO-NO-KEN PREMIUM BEST

I need help from all Fist North Star expert about this question:
The original SILENT SURVIVOR song is well known and known are his performers; well I find a strange thing about the BGM version of this song.
According to the booklet I've (not still scanned) Tsuyoshi Ujiki is the composer of all version (Full, Tv size, BGM), but looking this official Pony Canyon page, it credits the BGM version to the classic composer Ralph Vaughan Williams.
I've always ask me a question during years: why the Silent Survivor BGM which usually play during the anime, plays different compared to the background music of the vocal song?
Yeah arrangement are different (like other BGM of vocal songs) by Aoki, but composition in this case is different.
Who knows?
SILENT SURVIVOR BGM vs SILENT SURVIVOR original song
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:14 AM

they maybe forgot to credit that ralph guy in the booklet and added to the site (it wouldn't be the first time a publisher forgets credits)
afterwards, why two different tracks have the same name, no idea (it's maybe a sort of leitmotiv describing a "silent survivor" at certain key moments -honestly I never liked Hokuto no Ken so I can't really help)

edit: actually, it's not exactly the same name -theme is SILENT SURVIVOR and bgm is サイレント・サバイバー (-> Silent Survivor)

Last edited by Phonograph; Apr 22, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

the booket itself call the tracks SILENT SURVIVOR BGM in western characters while the pony canyon site list it in japanese.

Since info appers on an official page it would be genuine; it would be also interesting to know which old composer's song represent.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 03:22 PM

I see that this albulm is listed as a remaster, does anyone know if the audio quality is overall superior to that of the Hokuto no Ken Original Songs?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 09:32 PM
VGMdb Staff

I really prefer old releases. Equalization is more balanced and details preserved.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
I really prefer old releases. Equalization is more balanced and details preserved.
Just to clarify, are you referring to the older releases for the Fist of the North Star albums specifically or just in general? I do sometimes see remasters that are notable improvements to that of prior releases while other times they end up being notably inferior, often times due to tampering with the equalization like you mentioned. I was curious if there was anything like that on this albulm since I wanted to know if it was better or worse then the 1987 release quality-wise.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:19 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'm talking about the Fist of North Star, I own all releases. It's common opinion by lot of HnK (First of North Star) collectors here in Italy that old releases sounds really better on old media, this happen both for BGM and songs.
In my opinion looking at the Original Song album is very very good, I can only say few songs have issues when recorded on original master tapes, maybe they haven't much details by starting materials when recorded at Studio, so remaster edition has in my opinion emphasized those problems and sound "worst" that before.
Also since the Premium album have for the first time on CD, BGM from first series recorded on two Vinyl relases, I really don't like how they sound compared uncompressed vinyl rip I have of original LPs. In my opinion they didn't do a good remaster job.
The only bad old release is the movie one (D30G-0024), compared its vinyl counterpart, some tracks have sometimes equalisation problems which good ears can recognize.
I always hope they will release a complete version with missing materials like some BGM still unrecorded and karaoke stuff.

Last edited by depa; Apr 17, 2020 at 02:15 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor

BGM-wise, the only Japanese release we got on CD before that was the Music Collection III. I wouldn't say it sounds better, though.

Surprisingly enough, the most complete releases we got on CD so far are the 2002 French CDs:

https://vgmdb.net/album/32642
https://vgmdb.net/album/31072

But I personally like the sound of this "Premium Best" better.

Still hoping for an actually complete release of ALL BGMs one day, but losing hope ...
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Did a full comparison run of every CD available so far.

Here are the tracks on the French CDs that are NOT on Premium Best:

Ken Le Survivant Volume 2 - track 18 dry your tears instrumental (also on Music Collection 3 1986 CD)

Ken Le Survivant Volume 2 - track 21 La tranquilité retrouvée ("Ishun no yasuragi" on Music Collection 3 1986 CD)

Ken Le Survivant Volume 2 - track 22 Un géant calme et immobile ("Shizukanaru Kyojin Fudo" on Music Collection 3 CD)

Ken Le Survivant Volume 2 - track 25 Derniers instants ("Saigo No Honou" on Music Collection 3 CD)

On the other hand, those tracks from Premium Best are not on the French OSTs:

Disc 1 - Track 36 Shijou no ai

Disc 1 - Track 40 Chikai