VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 9, 2009, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Wish List

When users put albums on their wish list, are they aware that they can be solicited by sellers who are trying to sell the same albums that those users want to buy?

After all, when I list my albums for sale, I get notifications like [User] is looking for [Album I'm Selling].

But, then, I try to contact said user, they don't respond!

My question is, what's the purpose of said function, if the user isn't interested in purchasing said album from other users/sellers on this site?

What's the purpose of putting something up on your wish list here, unless you're looking for someone to sell that album to you?
Old May 9, 2009, 11:14 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It's entirely possible that the user(s) in question haven't been active for a while. I think having additional indicators for when they added the albums to their wishlist -- and when they were last active on the site -- would help?
Old May 9, 2009, 11:27 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

This is another thing you can't control on vgmdb, like collections.

How can you know someone's wish list are "legitimate" ? (buying a physical copy)
Don't they want it in another format..?
Maybe they want it but they can't buy it at the moment.
Or it's just a reminder for albums they are planning to buy one day..
And finaly, a wish list on vgmdb doesn't obligatory means "i want to deal with vgmdb users".

I know, wish list should be only to request "buyable" albums and nothing else..
But you can't be sure about what's happening here.

Last edited by Myrkul; May 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Happens to me often... People will have it marked on their Wishlists so I PM and say I have it for sale so they can buy it from me, and they're like "oh I don't have money, sorry"

I think most people just use it as a 'bookmark' reminder for themselves to look for it later.

Last edited by Carl; May 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

There are already several warning messages that indicate when that a user hasn't logged into the site in a while, and that the album might no longer be for sale.

Collection page
Sell page

There are a few more spots that I can add the warning. It never occured to me that wantlists would experience the same problem, but I can add this feature to those too.

EDIT
-------

Ok, done.

Also, if a user hasn't been logged into the site for more than 2 weeks, the notifications aren't displayed when you view the Collection page.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
I think most people just use it as a 'bookmark' reminder for themselves to look for it later.
Sorta kinda. I definitely plan to purchase everything on my Wish List eventually but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy the first copy I see for sale. It's basically a filter for me of the albums I don't currently own but plan to own some day. I'd guess most users who have a Wish List use it in the same way? There's no way I'm going to remember the names of all the albums I still want to purchase, though you'd think owning 270 of them would be enough for me by now.

-Mike
Old May 9, 2009, 09:04 PM

Well, as far as my wish list is concerned, I just have a paper copy stuck away, as opposed to having that data here, and I avoid possibly misleading users/sellers into thinking I might want to purchase their copies.

Might just want to put a notice that says some of the sort, "Use wish list to help get in contact with sellers who have the albums you're looking for."
Old May 9, 2009, 09:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Do you think having a "private" setting for wishlists (much like collections) would help? As in, you could specify entries as private and they won't show up to other people.
Old May 10, 2009, 04:24 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Oops, I forgot to remove the notification for buyers that haven't logged into VGMdb in more than 2 weeks, so I just fixed that.

If someone wants a private wishlist, it would be simpler for them to just make a folder called "Wish List" in their collection, and then add albums to it. It can even be private if they want, but it doesn't have to be. That way, there's no integration with any of the tools that are meant to connect buyers and sellers.

The rest of it is just human dynamics. People put up albums that they really don't want to sell unless the right offer comes along. (Note that actually filling out the price field indicates that you are a serious seller, and let's people know what you want for the album.) People also put up wishlists that they may buy when the circumstances are right, but I don't view those as an obligation to buy or even as an indication of how serious a buyer they may be.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 07:51 PM

I believe there should be separate lists for Wish List and Want-to-Buy List, as in,

(1) Wish List that's just a list to remind myself of what albums I'd like to buy when I have money,

and

(2) A Want-to-Buy list, as in, an open call to sellers on the board to make offers to the person who wants to buy.

Sound feasible? Logical?

After all, if taken as it's supposed to be used, VGMdb really offers the opportunity to really help buyers and sellers meet and form transactions, since the system is designed to help you find people who want to buy, and people who want to sell.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:42 AM

To make a reminder list just add an extra folder marked as private to your collection and put albums in that. That's what I do.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I suppose we could have a "private" setting for wishlist entries. I'm thinking we could make things even simpler and have the wish list / sale list as special folders in My Collection. (This would entail changing the interface of My Collection to optionally list albums as a table)
Old Jan 4, 2010, 03:07 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I got a suggestion about the "Wish List" feature.

Could it be possible to add directories..? Like what you can do on "My Collection" ?

I also like the idea to be able to differentiate in a way "Wish List that you are really ready to pay for asap" and "Wish List that you might want to buy someday"..
(of course only the first one will show up on album pages/marketplace)

Maybe 2 default directories could be created, and ask which one the user want when he adds an album to his wishlist.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 05:11 AM

I think that if you put a price that you are willing to pay for an album on your wish list, you've indicated that you are really ready to buy it. If an album is listed as "Negotiable", it's less clear what your intentions are, but you could put a note in the comments of your wish list indicating a strong desire to purchase it right away.