VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:23 AM

Where does Shiro Hamaguchi's orchestration credit for FITHOS LUSEC WECOS VINOSEC come from? It's not in this booklet or the limited edition's.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:36 AM

Interesting and seemingly legitimate spot. I've long seen Hamaguchi credited as orchestrator for this track, since the days I used to read Squaremusic, but maybe it's not accurate after all.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I can't say I am the source of this mistake (I don't remember where this comes from) but the credits here are obviously wrong. The notes field should be updated with accurate credits.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:11 AM

I've got a theory: he's probably credited as orchestrator for the chorus.

And the reason he's not credited for, say, "Succession of Witches", is because the voice sample is probably just that--a sample of the soprano recording which Uematsu added.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:28 PM

Whoops, disregard. A very helpful third post for me.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I've got a theory: he's probably credited as orchestrator for the chorus.
I don't think I understand... I'm asking where this credit, whatever it is for, comes from. Not really what it is for. Okay, so he may be credited for orchestrating the chorus, but where? I don't see it in the booklet. Is it a website?

EDIT: Okay, I've just tried to make the notes section look like what's found in the booklet... if someone knows of a trustworthy site with more credits or something, go ahead and add those. Adding a link to the site in references or in a post here would be nice if so.

Last edited by Medina; Aug 28, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 05:49 PM

If it helps, I seem to remember this credit being in the staff roll. Off to youtube I go~

EDIT: OK, just kidding. He's specifically credited for Liberi Fatali, Eyes on Me, and the Ending Theme... but while the section for Fithos does indeed credit the vocalists, no arranger is credited.

@ about 1:00:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPmWx...eature=related

(But logically, since he arranged the chorus elsewhere, it's safe to assume he arranged it here...)

Last edited by Jormungand; Aug 28, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:29 AM

Maybe so, but this also corresponds with the booklet not crediting him. Maybe these different sources exist independently or as a result of each other, but I still think this could mean that nobody did orchestration for Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec. Maybe Hamaguchi is only credited for orchestration in places he actually did it. And by the way it's orchestration, not vocals, so that particular track doesn't necessarily have any orchestra arrangement at all.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
And by the way it's orchestration, not vocals, so that particular track doesn't necessarily have any orchestra arrangement at all.
I was originally trying to suggest why the term "orchestration" or "orchestrator" might have been used in the first place, regardless of the what the source may have been.

I was working off the assumption that Hamaguchi is indeed supposed to be credited for FLWV. It makes the most sense that on a track with a synthesized orchestra and live chorus, and with a credited person who only has worked on live orchestral adaptations, the intention was that he arranged the live parts--the chorus.

Just playing devil's advocate in the event that the original credit was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
Maybe so, but this also corresponds with the booklet not crediting him. Maybe these different sources exist independently or as a result of each other, but I still think this could mean that nobody did orchestration for Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec.
Well, someone had to prepare the music for the vocalists. I mean, it's not like they were dictated note-by-note and lyric-by-lyric by someone and recorded.

But I agree it's doubtful FLWV was "orchestrated" by someone other than Uematsu. Then again, the track is adapted quite faithfully on the orchestra album, so I guess it's possible (but not probable) that it was Hamaguchi's work to begin with. After all, the track was originally set to a choreographed dance, something Hamaguchi is likely to have far more experience with.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:12 AM

Yeah, the booklet credits are not necessarily definitive and Hamaguchi may have been involved, whether in a direct or derivative way. I also believe he was involved in the event themes featured in the FFIX OST (like he was on those on FFIX OST Plus) but I don't remember him being directly credited on the booklet either.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yeah, the booklet credits are not necessarily definitive and Hamaguchi may have been involved, whether in a direct or derivative way. I also believe he was involved in the event themes featured in the FFIX OST (like he was on those on FFIX OST Plus) but I don't remember him being directly credited on the booklet either.
On the back of the FFIX booklet there's a general credit for him.

Orchestration: Shiro Hamaguchi

On the issue of Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec, I'd assume that the arrangement was (at least primarily) Uematsu's. Many of the details sound like his work to me. If Hamaguchi were credited, it would more likely be for "arrangement".
Old Oct 7, 2011, 03:18 PM

Unrelated to previous discussion, but I found a webpage where all the credits for Liberi Fatali, FITHOS LUSEC WECOS VINOSEC, Eyes On Me, and Ending Theme are given in Japanese, and it seemed trustable (haven't spotted anything blatantly suspicious on it, at least), so I added all the related artist profiles that were missing a page and Japanese name accordingly.

I guess that it would usually be better posted on an artist discussion thread to make the job easier for those who review and approve/deny new submissions, but given the sheer number of artists without profiles, I figured I'd just post on the related album thread (not even sure they're credited on other albums).

I also edited two artist names typos, after having verified them in the booklets.
Jun Tsunoda seems more like a mistranslation (角田 can both be read as Sumida or Tsunoda), since he's referred as Jun Sumida on all other places I looked for his name, but I left it as is (staying true to the booklet given credits), and added Tsunoda as a variation to Sumida's profile.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Dunno about the rest, but we already have an entry for Sumida: http://vgmdb.net/artist/5265
Old Oct 7, 2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meudeujeu View Post
I guess that it would usually be better posted on an artist discussion thread to make the job easier for those who review and approve/deny new submissions, but given the sheer number of artists without profiles, I figured I'd just post on the related album thread (not even sure they're credited on other albums).
Yeah, when normal editors post a new artist entry, we definitely appreciate they specify on what albums the artist is credited. Something everybody else should do.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Dunno about the rest, but we already have an entry for Sumida: http://vgmdb.net/artist/5265
Added the Jun Tsunoda variation on this entry, and edited the new one into another artist who didn't have an entry yet.

The other artists I added from the FFVIII OST didn't already have an entry. I checked for every of them, but since I typed Jun Tsunoda in the search field instead of Jun Sumida, his profile page didn't show up.
Old May 1, 2014, 06:32 AM

after a little listening of songs and seeing the tracklist, I was wondering what that N's Telecaster was

so, a Telecaster is an electric guitar
I guess N's Telecaster could be Nobuo's Electric Guitar (not in the performer field)
Old May 1, 2014, 07:04 AM
Trusted Editor

Why it should be Nobuo's Electric Guitar when Telecaster is a well known guitar brand/make, how ever the guitar people call those things.

And funnily enough, on the Digicube liners do tell that he did buy a Telecaster recently. So, would that mean that Uematsu himself should be put as performer if he did play guitar himself?
Old May 1, 2014, 07:40 AM

man you don't get it, I just say that instrument could be his and used for the song
if nobuo performed the theme with that guitar so his name should be in the performer field since it's generally the case with tracks like that (it's "featuring")
Old May 1, 2014, 07:05 PM

We guitar people would call a Telecaster a type, model, or just kind of guitar. "What kind of guitar do you play?" "A Fender Telecaster." Fender is the brand.

I don't really think he should be put as a performer. Everything in that track is sequenced, so the sound staff probably recorded him playing his Telecaster to make the guitar sample that was used. There is no more live performance than with any other instrument sample made from recording a real instrument. Although I can think of "At Zanarkand" and "Jecht's Theme" from FFX and "Selbina" from XI as counter-examples where they are all sequenced but credit performers. Hmm. But those do sound somewhat more like performances. The guitar part in "Mods de Chocobo" sounds rather obviously synthesized, whereas the violin of "Selbina" is quite natural, even in the game, it wasn't enhanced for the OST or anything like that.

P.S. The Telecaster is my favorite type of guitar. Obviously, great minds think alike!
Old May 2, 2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
Although I can think of "At Zanarkand" and "Jecht's Theme" from FFX and "Selbina" from XI as counter-examples where they are all sequenced but credit performers. Hmm. But those do sound somewhat more like performances.
Well, remember that they don't always put the sequenced version of the music on the soundtrack. This is especially true with Sakimoto's stuff; listen to a PSF of anything from Final Fantasy XII and then listen to the soundtrack version. BIG difference. I remember Jecht's Theme actually having a recording hum in it - a very high-pitched one - so it may be the original take.

At any rate, even with the technicalities of what makes a performer credit aside, a performer credit here would only be an assumption given what information we have, which is pretty much none.