VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 25, 2014, 08:51 PM

Default If you could make any game, which composers/composers/sound team would you choose?

There's a lot I would consider, but I would like to choose Masanori Hikichi and Miyoko Kobayashi, and maybe even with Miyoko's brother Masayuki (both brother and sister composed together in Atelier Judie: Alchemist of Gramnad).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 06:44 AM

Uematsu, Mitsuda, Kikuta and Shimomura, all in their 16-bit prime. So my game would sound like a combination of FFVI/CT/SD3/Mario RPG. Maybe throw in a guest appearance from Ryuji Sasai on a final dungeon or battle theme.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:59 PM
Trusted Editor

What GoldfishX said :P
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:14 PM

I'd like to see Ryuji Sasai do Bravely Default 2. If fantasy rock was their goal, Sasai would do better than Revo.

If I had the reins for any imaginary RPG, I would probably hire one or (maybe) two-person teams. I prefer soundtracks to be the work of mostly one person, as that's when a composer is really challenged to put their absolute best effort in. You might think being able to focus on just a handful of tracks would lead to greater focus on those tracks, but with a larger role composers must work harder to sustain interest.

Maybe it's just because I haven't been very impressed with the sorts of teams that have been assembled in the past. When I think about RPGs in particular, it ends up being one or two composers that I like, and the rest I don't care for.

Then again, games like Monolith Soft's X could only benefit from having additional composers, because heaven knows that game's lead composer doesn't have the chops to handle a major console RPG. Such a waste...

Anyway, I'd make more turn-based RPGs with composers like Saori Kobayashi, Yoshino Aoki, Motoaki Takenouchi, Tsuneo Imahori, and Hiroki Kikuta. All solo, naturally.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 06:05 PM

When I was playing Skyrim and hearing Jeremy Soule's unspeakably bland music (on Xbox 360 so I couldn't swap it out for something better ), I was frequently imagining how much better it could be. I'm with Jormungand generally, but for a game so big on which you spend so many hours, I think it could be a good thing to have many composers to minimize repetition and monotony. That's the kind of project for which I'd assemble my dream team.

Indeed, Miyoko Kobayashi and Masanori Hikichi were in my thoughts as I think their capabilities for icy/mystical/melancholy sounds would have been a good fit. Saori Kobayashi too would definitely have a place as she's brilliant. Masashi Hamauzu's FFXIII-style lushness would be a great fit. Of course, my favorite composer, Hitoshi Sakimoto would be there, and Hayato Matsuo would contribute his own music and do any orchestral arrangements since he is the greatest at that. Although I'd have Yoshihisa Hirano if I could and he could totally orchestrate his own stuff.

Also, I really want John Pee from Treasure Hunter G doing music again. His stuff there was awesome.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:24 AM

Yasuhisa Watanabe, Hayato Matsuo and Hirokazu Ando gangbang on a predominantly electronic soundtrack.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:49 AM

Michiko Naruke (Wild Arms 2nd Ignition), Hajime Wakai (Star Fox 64), and Hiroshi Fujioka (Growlanser II + III). A mixture of those three composers and styles used in those games would produce a very nostalgic and exciting soundtrack.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:05 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This seems ideal.

Old Mar 2, 2014, 06:05 AM

Koji Kondo, Zun, David Wise, Grant Kirkope, Takashi Tateishi, Nobuo Uematsu, Kenta Nagata, Junichi Masuda and Motoi Sakuraba
Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:03 AM

Keishi Yonao, Barbarian on the Groove, bassy, Elememts Garden, Naotashi Nishino, Tomohisa Ishikawa, Takayuki Negishi, Kazunori Miyake.
It would be some amazing groovy score for band and orchestra with killer bass lines.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 08:01 AM

Watanabe, Junya Nakano and U2 Akiyama for an awesome RPG soundtrack (although I have my doubts about U2 Akiyama).

Yuko Takehara and Yousuke Yasui for other kind of games (and of course Koji Kondo).

THERE ARE TOO MANY GREAT COMPOSERS IN THE VGM BUSINESS.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 09:33 AM

I would like to do an arcade game using the YM2151 sound chip, so I would call some experts on that field: Hosoe, Namiki, Yonao and Tsukumo.

Last edited by KAI; Mar 6, 2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:55 AM

Miki Higashino. Because Suikoden II wasn't enough Higashino.