VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 4, 2012, 01:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm not 100% sure what the deal with this album is. The SuperSweep catalog calls it a "self arrange album" in the product list, but the full blurb seems to indicate it's a concept album in the style of a fictional sequel to Star Cruiser? The press release on 4Gamer.net and other sites specifically call it an "original solo album" so I'm not really sure what the contents are, aside from the fact that Yack is providing a remix of something
Old Sep 4, 2012, 02:11 AM

It's a solo album that uses the Star Cruiser world / atmosphere as a base, as far as I understand. The track "neo-nineteen" has an obvious connection to the Star Cruiser games' original soundtracks, but I suspect most of the other songs are brand new compositions. Can't wait until I can hear it.

Last edited by zinger; Sep 4, 2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:32 PM

Here are the liner notes. Perhaps they help "clear up the mystery" revolving around how to classify the album. If there is anything of interest, please let me know!

http://i.imgur.com/UzQzG.jpg
Old Oct 5, 2012, 03:15 PM

I just skimmed through it, but he mentions that neo-nineteen is indeed based on a song he made during the Arsys days just like I said (which makes at least that one song an arrange). I don't know if the rest of the songs are completely original, but I'd assume some of them are. Once I get to listen to the album I'll give you my full analysis.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:09 AM

Here's a PV for the album, zinger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwpwy14qIU
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:24 PM

"Sail again to far voyage" -- wow, really nice. These clips sound great, as is to be expected from Toshiya Yamanaka.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:58 AM

Thanks Don. neo-nineteen is the only obvious arrange from what I can hear. Track 1, 7 and the end of the sample of track 5 sound nice, the rest... not as good as I expected. Looking forward to hear the full release anyway.

Last edited by zinger; Oct 10, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:37 PM

Hi everybody!

I'm glad Toshiya Yamanaka is composing new material, this is good news for me, I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

I hope he can get the exposure he deserves, one of the most original composers out there in my opinion. I think the next logical step is the release of a Sin and Punishment official album, don't you think? :P

Last edited by Lavis; Oct 13, 2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:19 PM

The album has already a review on Square Enix Music:

http://www.squareenixmusic.com/revie...rcruiser.shtml
Old Oct 27, 2013, 08:14 AM

Finally got my (signed!) copy.

Good stuff. In addition to neo-nineteen, Yack's track also contains obvious references to the original Star Cruiser.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 02:30 AM

I also would like to own this album. I live in the US and I can't seem to find a way to legally obtain it. You guys seem to be experts at these kind of things, any tips on how I'd be able to own this album? I've even contacted Hosoe-san and Supersweep. Any info would help, thank you!
Old Nov 8, 2013, 01:29 PM

Well, my copy was a personal gift from Yamanaka himself. There are online services that can get you items from Japanese stores though, if you can stomach their fees. I think I've used Rinkya for a few items in the past, which I guess is the most famous one, but there are others as well. From what I remember you had to pay for shipping from the seller to their offices in Japan, then the shipping fee from their Japanese offices to their US ones, and then finally for them to ship it to your own address -- in addition to what they charge you for the trouble.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:30 PM

It has been quite the adventure trying to obtain this album. I'm just gonna have to keep on searching, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I am insanely jealous, by the way. Haha
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:55 AM

I finally obtained my copy. Although it isn't signed, haha. Thanks, Zinger, for pointing me in the right direction!

Last edited by Gieflos; Dec 23, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 08:52 AM

I translated an interview with Toshiya Yamanaka last week about this cd (and his career in general). It's pretty in-depth, check it out here: http://shmuplations.com/toshiyayamanaka
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoak View Post
I translated an interview with Toshiya Yamanaka last week about this cd (and his career in general). It's pretty in-depth, check it out here: http://shmuplations.com/toshiyayamanaka
A great read and a pro-click. Thanks for the work you do!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoak View Post
Heh, I actually wrote a few of those questsions! Thank you for your great work blackoak!
Old May 22, 2022, 05:43 AM

it's not a real game so? maybe artist disco should be selected?