VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't have this yet, but it does apparently contain bonus tracks, so the tracklist and notes will probably have to be updated at some point by whoever around here gets it first.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:24 PM

I bought it just before and have updated the - or rather added a new - tracklist. I guess the older one can be deleted as I've noted in the notes section which tracks are the bonus items. Also feel free to correct any information I put down in the notes section regarding the new tracks.

Also this album, oh man. Fantastic stuff. Every VGM fan should buy it.

Last edited by Muzza; Jan 10, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:00 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I noticed that tracklist you added (now titled just "English") has a few differences from both what's on the cover and what's on Bandcamp. Does it come from the tags or liner notes?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:22 AM

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. Yeah there are some differences; I took the track titles from the tags. Looking at the liner notes, there are still some inconsistencies (eg. it's "Pacing Energy" in the liner notes but "Paced Energy" in the tags). I have no idea which tracklist to set as the default so I'll leave it to you.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:49 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

You guys should not base yourself on the current scans, i guess they are coming from the digital version.

Also, CD entries should never have digital scans.
But since you are still debating over the tracklist, they are still available here:
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
You guys should not base yourself on the current scans, i guess they are coming from the digital version.

Also, CD entries should never have digital scans.
It's the exact same artwork that appears on the album: http://kunaki.com/accounting/Showpro...PID=PX00IDLJKY. What's the problem with using it?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Well, in general digital covers are not exactly like the available physical ones.
It lacks copyrights, publishing infos, barcode, catalog number..etc..
A disc label is not a disc scan, seriously.

edit: did not see the other pictures, tell me this is not the disc.. what about the ugly photo manipulation to make it look like it's a real disc, these are not photos, just more digital covers with a fake digital jewel case around.

Last edited by Myrkul; Jan 11, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:09 PM
Trusted Editor

Aren't all these arguments moot points anyway? Shouldn't the digital versions be a child of the cd version (or vice versa, depending on which came first?)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Doing a reprint for the digital version is also a solution, yes.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Well, in general digital covers are not exactly like the available physical ones.
It lacks copyrights, publishing infos, barcode, catalog number..etc..
A disc label is not a disc scan, seriously.
Okay, I see where you're coming from. Even if there are differences like that I still don't have a problem with adding digital covers, but I definitely think that should be noted: "Disc Label" instead of "Disc," "Back Artwork" instead of "Back," something like that.

What if there aren't any changes, though? I don't have a physical copy of this yet so I can't verify it aside from those crude webstore mockups, but the digital covers provided for SoulEye's PPPPPP arrange album are exactly what ended up printed on the physical.

As an aside, would you feel the same way if there were only a physical release and SoulEye provided these covers? Or is it just because there's a digital release too? (This is just out of curiosity. I'm not going to try to turn this around on you or anything.)

Quote:
edit: did not see the other pictures, tell me this is not the disc.. what about the ugly photo manipulation to make it look like it's a real disc, these are not photos, just more digital covers with a fake digital jewel case around.
Yeah, that's why I didn't add them here. If you want, I can wait until I get this in the mail and let you know, but it seems like they generate those silly things with the real artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
Aren't all these arguments moot points anyway? Shouldn't the digital versions be a child of the cd version (or vice versa, depending on which came first?)
Simultaneous release.

There's no separate entry for the digital version yet, as I tend to be pretty lazy about adding them when they're exactly the same as physical releases. We apparently even have a policy about doing this when they're released at the same time, but we still haven't really figured out how to handle the digital mess.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:00 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
As an aside, would you feel the same way if there were only a physical release and SoulEye provided these covers? Or is it just because there's a digital release too? (This is just out of curiosity. I'm not going to try to turn this around on you or anything.)
This thread is going off-topic now.
But to answer your question, yes i would feel the same way if the release would only be physical. We've been keeping cover-less lots of digital albums because they did not have any cover, and we'r not accepting fan-made covers either.
By the way, if it's a physical release only, there's at least the disc to scan, even if it's a cd-r.
Other solutions are:
Label the digital pictures differently like you suggested, to clearly state the entry is lacking real scans.
Post the digital pictures in the board thread as informations (for example if you'r not wanting to make a reprint).

Last edited by Myrkul; Jan 11, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I figured it'd be faster if I just asked Souleye about the covers instead of waiting for my copy to get here!

Quote:
<+CHz> The digital version comes with a few JPEG of the cover and disc and such. Are they what's exactly printed on the physical album, or are there any changes?
<+CHz> Like a barcode or copyright info or something like that.
<+Souleye> Right now, they're exactly like that. I'm going to change some of those though, minor things I noticed after crowdsourcing it (ie having people download it)
<+Souleye> what did you find?
<+CHz> Oh haha, no typos or anything.
<+Souleye> I found typos
So those initial files should be what was printed for the physical, but at some point they'll be updated with fixes.