VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 14, 2020, 01:19 PM

Default Favorite Unused Songs

One thing that's always fascinated me are unused songs in video games. A lot of those are really good songs that got left out and many times not unearthed until decades later. What are your favorite unused songs? Reasons they were unused? Personally I always liked the unused song "Strange Memories of Death" from Gimmick!
Old May 14, 2020, 05:10 PM

Great thread idea. I have a lot of favorites but I can only guess at why they went unused.

There's some great unused arrangements from Castlevania, notably the Rondo of Blood version of "Cross Your Heart" and the Rebirth version of "Battle of the Holy." I believe you can unlock the former in Dracula X Chronicles and assign it to whatever stage you want, but I have no idea which stage it was originally meant for.

FFV also has a really good unused version of "Matoya's Cave" from FFI. Pretty triumphant sounding so I don't think it would have been a dungeon theme. The unused tracks from FFVI suck, but "Sea of Silence" from FFIV is great. I'm guessing the area it would have played got cut rather than the music being unsuitable because it fits perfectly with the style of the rest of the soundtrack. Or maybe it was going to be for sailing?

While I'm not a huge fan of the Actraiser soundtrack, I like some of the original FM versions and the unused "Space Fight" is the crown jewel. It being so different from the rest of the soundtrack is probably why I like it so much and also why it was cut.

"Prison House" went unused in every version of Ys IV as far as I know, maybe cause it was too upbeat for a jail scene. Makes for good listening though.

Last edited by Aifread; May 14, 2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old May 14, 2020, 09:15 PM

Dunno how I forgot this one. One of the best from one of the best. That link is Dean Evans's own channel and he explains the origin of it in the video description.

Last edited by Aifread; May 14, 2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old May 15, 2020, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
The unused tracks from FFVI suck,
Hmm, I think the two town themes are great--some of Uematsu's best work, actually.
Old May 15, 2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Hmm, I think the two town themes are great--some of Uematsu's best work, actually.
I could never get into them. To me they're just more filler on an OST that's already the most filler-heavy of the SNES trilogy. FFIV by contrast was a shorter, more polished OST so the bar to make it in was higher and some good tracks had to be cut.
Old May 15, 2020, 04:26 AM

it's good that those town themes aren't in final product, it doesn't fit the game at all
Old May 15, 2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I could never get into them. To me they're just more filler on an OST that's already the most filler-heavy of the SNES trilogy. FFIV by contrast was a shorter, more polished OST so the bar to make it in was higher and some good tracks had to be cut.
I'll be honest... this is the first time in my life I have ever heard this assessment of the FF6 OST.
Old May 15, 2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I'll be honest... this is the first time in my life I have ever heard this assessment of the FF6 OST.
You're not alone. That's literally the first thing I thought when I read that. In fact in my experience, what is generally most often said about FFVI OST is it's remarkable lack of "filler", and how pretty much perfect a JRPG soundtrack it is. But hey, each to their own.

I also agree that the unused town themes from it are great, Town 2 especially - the vocal version being just a tad too sentimental (no pun intended ) for my liking but enjoyable enough.

I do love how discovering unused tracks, at their best, can be a pretty novel way of authentically reliving a particular soundtrack, if you've pretty much exhausted musical enjoyment of the main material and spend your days yearning for [insert composer] to go back to [insert musical style they have since matured past and would find it difficult to emulate]. I'm not even kidding, I would pay a lot of money if someone like Mitsuda released an album of unused pieces written throughout his career...

Quote:
While I'm not a huge fan of the Actraiser soundtrack, I like some of the original FM versions and the unused "Space Fight" is the crown jewel. It being so different from the rest of the soundtrack is probably why I like it so much and also why it was cut.
Thanks for this - I'd never heard that before. Excellent UnYuzo-ed material!
Old May 27, 2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Great thread idea. I have a lot of favorites but I can only guess at why they went unused.

There's some great unused arrangements from Castlevania, notably the Rondo of Blood version of "Cross Your Heart" and the Rebirth version of "Battle of the Holy." I believe you can unlock the former in Dracula X Chronicles and assign it to whatever stage you want, but I have no idea which stage it was originally meant for.

FFV also has a really good unused version of "Matoya's Cave" from FFI. Pretty triumphant sounding so I don't think it would have been a dungeon theme. The unused tracks from FFVI suck, but "Sea of Silence" from FFIV is great. I'm guessing the area it would have played got cut rather than the music being unsuitable because it fits perfectly with the style of the rest of the soundtrack. Or maybe it was going to be for sailing?

"Prison House" went unused in every version of Ys IV as far as I know, maybe cause it was too upbeat for a jail scene. Makes for good listening though.
That's good. I didn't know about Matoya's Cave being there or the unused Actraiser song.

Speaking of Ys IV, I also really liked the unused Temple song. It gives me the same uplifting feeling The Legend Begins From Legend of Xanadu gives me.

I also really enjoyed the very catchy intro to Theme of Douglas from the Unpublished Legend of Heroes IV tracks.

Though short but sweet, I liked the unused Rockman X Stage? Theme (first track)
Old May 27, 2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I have always felt that way about Final Fantasy VI. It has a few tracks that are very iconic but I never liked the majority of it's filler like tracks. But the type of people that review this game are all about Final Fantasy and praise it to no end as perfect, but many have probably never really looked at the lesser known RPG's like Terranigma and Rudra no Hihou that I prefer much more over it. It's like if you say anything bad about Final Fantasy VI's soundtrack you get banished.
Old May 27, 2020, 01:54 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Resident Evil has some good ones.

biohazard 0 (Trial Edition)

Resident Evil (GameCube)

Last edited by Nisto; May 27, 2020 at 02:02 PM.