VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 8, 2010, 06:34 AM

Default Super CD-Rom releases: The Game/Soundtrack Hybrid

All right sooooo does this database have any of these "Super CD-Rom" soundtracks?

http://www.tohokingdom.com/cd/godzil...ends_turbo.htm

http://www.digitpress.com/archives/d..._listening.htm

The second link really seems to open up a world of possibilities. If many game CDs can double as the game's soundtrack shouldn't those game CDs be included in the database?

Now I've already found several Koei titles on the FM Towns Marty that are both the game cd and they also have the soundtrack on them. They actually have the SoundWare logo on them AND the soundtrack's liner notes in the jewel case.

When I checked out the "Submit Album" feature I didn't see a category that came really close enough to this unique publication type, the game/soundtrack hybrid.

Or am I missing something?

Macintosh also got into the hybrid business.

Some more.......

I've summarized all of my findings here:
http://ykdb.monkey-pirate.com/index.php?topic=1016.0

That's my regular stomping grounds. As you can see I'll I've hunted down is Yoko Kanno vgm stuff but you can see that there's potentially a lot out there.

Last edited by Ed in the Desert; Feb 8, 2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 06:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

These are actually game CDs that just happen to double as a soundtrack. They don't belong in the album database, but they do belong in a database that catalogs games and their music. This is planned for the future when we've got the product table finished.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
These are actually game CDs that just happen to double as a soundtrack. They don't belong in the album database, but they do belong in a database that catalogs games and their music. This is planned for the future when we've got the product table finished.
Cool! So this planned site will just be for these game/soundtrack hybrids?

Because there's plenty of video game databases.....and this video game music database here at vgmdb.net covers video game music....so what do you mean by "games and their music?"
Old Feb 8, 2010, 07:32 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, the main purpose of the product (game) entries would be to serve as the landing page for discovering the albums that cover that game. There is a lot of interest in covering redbooks as well. We have no intention of building our own Mobygames, and would only hold the bare minimum of music-related info.

It's interesting that these CDs are the most obvious example of an attempt to present a hybrid. They are still predominately game CDs. We have seen the opposite, mostly soundtrack CDs that also contain a small game or demo. Those made it into the album database because they were marketed as soundtracks first.

Also, ultimately every game has a playable soundtrack, not just the CDs with redbook. They just require different players or sometimes an extraction.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:55 PM

Hmmm...I think I get it. So this site is a database of products that are marketed first as being for audio enjoyment. When in doubt of how a product should be categorized look to its primary marketing.

So "game CDs with redbook" is a more accurate way of describing what I presented here in this thread? These are game cds that you can also pop into any cd player and listen to?

(I apologize, by the way, if this has already been discussed elsewhere or is just common knowledge amongst true vgm fans. My true passion lies in the hunt and cataloging things so they don't get lost and YJA provides the perfect outlet for my obsessive personality. I literally get addicted to hunting and collecting and preserving.)