VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 24, 2016, 09:41 PM
Trusted Editor

Default to whom i should get permission before uploading cover images?

i saw the notice for uploading cd cover images.

Ownership
Be respectful of the original owners of the images.
If the image comes from another site, please obtain permission to upload it, or ask a VGMdb administrator to work out an arrangement.

i don't understand this article because no one can exactly define who is the original/final owners of images.
for a cd cover art, the painter/designer/cd maker/product distributor can be the owners.
strictly speaking, almost all of images on this website are actually not allowed to use and infringes the right of using images.
then, to whom i should obtain permission before uploading?
all of them above? the first person who took photos of cd or scanned it?
according to that article, all vgmdb users must get permission to upload so long as they are not the cover painters.

i guess the manager put it to circumvent any conflicts or claims about ownership and the right of use, but i wonder how many 'owners' have actually been claiming to remove their images which were pirated without permission.

tons of product images are circulated through the internet, even for-profit merchandisers are using them without permission.
but apparently vgmdb has no purpose of any profits with its data.
i bet, for this reason, that article is pointless and just makes members hesitate to update and enhance info.

i am a newbie on this site. i want to know whether other members are strictly keeping the article or feel free to upload any images got from other websites without concerning about it.

Last edited by whatkind; May 24, 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:39 PM
VGMdb Staff

The trend on this site is actually getting bigger and better scans all the time.

Strictly speaking, all of the artwork and printed lyrics fall under the copyright but there were no problems with the high-quality scans hosting in general (for now).

There's no real control on either the fair use or resolution limit for instance and if the problems do arise sometime in the future, other databases (Musicbrainz, Discogs) should be affected too.
Old May 25, 2016, 01:58 AM
Trusted Editor

thank you for your informative answer.
then, am i actually allowed to upload any images got from unknown sites and scanned by unknown persons?
i don't remember where i picked up the images that i'd like to upload soon.
Old May 25, 2016, 03:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The ownership guidelines arose early on before VGMdb was even called VGMdb, and there were problems when some scans from another similar fan-site (but without open submission) ended up on here.

I doubt it is much of a problem anymore now that VGMdb is so central.
Old May 25, 2016, 04:45 AM
Trusted Editor

ok, i'll try uploading some.
if you receive any claims later on, kindly judge and decide whether to remove or not. and warn me with a message.
i don't think, however, any claim would be made, as i'll upload just old well-known anime covers of high resolution.

Last edited by whatkind; May 25, 2016 at 10:16 PM.