VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 5, 2014, 05:08 PM

Default Question regarding creating product pages

I'm looking for some input on the product section of VGMdb. I recently made two for Princess Witches and Witch on the Holy Night, but I didn't label them as franchises. I'm not all that familiar with visual novels, so I used already established product pages as a reference when creating these pages.

Here are the pages: Witch on the Holy Night and Princess Witches

For example, Witch on the Holy Night has relations to Fate/stay night, fate/extra and Tsukihime. They only share characters and settings, but other than that should Witch on the Holy Night be classified as its own franchise?

Princess Witches also has the same idea applied to it. I just forgot to make it into a franchise and I don't see an option to make it into a franchise other than to redo the page again.

Let me know if there's anything you guys can suggest or if there's any mistakes on the pages. Thank you!

Last edited by eternal_tsukasa; Mar 5, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 06:29 PM

a franchise is just a way to group several products together
if you create one product, you don't need to make a franchise just for that

for example, the FF franchise has FF games
but rudra only has product since it's the one of its kind, so no need for a franchise

also, if you create a product that must be linked to a franchise, there is a "Link Title to this Franchise" > "Title ID" in the franchise edit option

if there was a "type-moon" franchise/company, linking fate, tsukihime and mahoyo would make sense
however, I don't think you can link mahoyo to fate franchise simply because there are some relations
if you check the wiki page of the game, you'll see it's not the fate series or any other fate relations (same for tsukihime)

as for princess witches, I don't see what franchise it could be, just let it as it is

edit: btw, you can't change a franchise into a product page, or reversely

Last edited by Phonograph; Mar 5, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:41 PM

Thank you for the response! I haven't been active for a few years and I'm just starting to get reacquainted with this site. I can't remember if product linking was implemented when I first registered on here, but I'm happy to see it in effect finally. I wasn't so sure how it functioned when it came to creating and editing a product, so I'm glad you explained it for me.

It would make much more sense to use the franchise class only for products that have a series of sequels/spinoffs/anime/etc. in its history.

I had the same thought in mind when I was creating the page for Mahoyo since it was a TYPE-MOON game, but there's no actual franchise page for the game companies themselves. For Princess Witches, I thought Princess Witches EXCELLENT was a spinoff or something, but I think it's the same game except with an additional scenario according to the VNdb I referenced it from.

In that case, I'll go ahead and leave them the way they are.

Last edited by eternal_tsukasa; Mar 5, 2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 01:13 AM
VGMdb Staff

Only make sure the English title(s) you add to the product pages are always official, either because the game/animation was localized or because it already has an English title even when it's not localized. Any titles that are given by fan community don't count.