VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > Game Remixes Forum Archive 2009-2012
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:03 PM

Default Promotions now available

It's now possible to promote your songs, by spending experience points as was previously discussed. I'm not going to bother here with a long post, as you can read about how to spend experience points in the help section of the site under "promotions."

For now, I posted the promoted songs front and center on the homepage, and moved everything else down. When the site is redesigned, the grids may contain less data or may be shuffled around or removed from the front page. Feel free to offer comments, and make some bids to get your song listed!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:00 PM

If promotions are we, we need the retroactive XP from before the XP system was implemented to have points to promote anything. :P
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Cabbage View Post
If promotions are we, we need the retroactive XP from before the XP system was implemented to have points to promote anything. :P
Yep. I'm getting on it.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:24 PM

FYI, Google sent me an E-Mail out of the blue saying that they would give me a $50 AdWords credit because I had stopped advertising with them when news of the salary cuts hit. I'm not sure why they give away free advertising like that, but I'm not going to argue.

It has to be used by March 15, so it will start tomorrow and run through the weekend. You can expect 200 new absolute unique visitors based on past trends. This is an excellent opportunity to promote your songs. Remember, you get 3 points just for uploading a song, so you should have enough points to place bids just by uploading a few more songs.

Also, beginning tonight, you can place non-integer bids. It seemed pointless to require people like Kidd Cabbage to bid one point when there were no other bids.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:30 PM

So, just throwing this out there, but I really think "Things promoted by RemixSite users" should be changed to something like "Featured content" or something equally less retarded.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:37 PM

Featured Content is kind of misleading....
How about Promoted Songs or Hyped Up Music.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
fea·tured   [fee-cherd]
–adjective
made a feature or highlight; given prominence

I don't see how that's misleading. Aren't people using experience points to promote their songs - thus giving their songs prominence? I think that "featured" perfectly fits the description.

Also, wondering about the max number of promoted songs... it'd be kind of silly to have all the songs on the site in the promoted window. I figure that maybe have like three to six songs every week or something and have people bid for those set amounts of slots. Or maybe there is a maximum that I just didn't know about.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:07 PM

Nice definition steal, but "featured" to most people means "this site wants you to hear this!" Which also means, "this site endorses this"... which also means, "if this is shit, we take full responsibility" or another "this is what this site is totally about. This exact track." and that's not really gonna get people interested. Composers like yourself or just people dropping by for a listen don't want that sort've linear attraction. So Warp kind've has a point... not that I care, I'm just saying.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:43 PM

You ever see Youtube's featured videos section? Same deal. They obviously don't drive people away. If there is a better word, great, but "promoted" just sounds so soulless and unfriendly. And "hyped up" just sounds dumb.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:04 PM

Fair point....

I dunno, I think people are looking for a different word in general. If it goes your way, that's cool. Doesn't really matter either way.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:59 AM

YouTube is different because people expect to see terrible videos; much of the culture that is built around YouTube is one that thrives on, shall I say, "easy" or foolish humor.

I agree with 'nomnom's point. It'd be a shame if someone promoted something terrible and a visitor judged the site based on that tune. How about "Composer's Choice" or something of that nature?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
If there is a better word, great, but "promoted" just sounds so soulless and unfriendly. And "hyped up" just sounds dumb.
Maybe it's because you don't want the promoted section to sound like what it really is...artists hyping their own works.

Anyone can upload songs and then promote them with their XP. It doesn't make it feature material, just hyped.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpToken View Post
Anyone can upload songs and then promote them with their XP. It doesn't make it feature material, just hyped.

It makes the song *both* because they mean the exact same damn thing in this context. The only difference is that the world "hyped" sounds absolutely retarded - like it belongs on the front of a teenage girl hip-hop website.

Do I need to consult the dictionary again? How about the thesaurus?
Quote:
Main Entry: featured
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: promoted
Synonyms:
advertised, displayed, highlighted, recommended

"Featured" means exactly the same as any of these other words - it just doesn't sound like something only a jackass would say. The site isn't in any omgdanger of the "Featured songs" taking over RemixSite and dominating all the other poor entries on the site any more than a "Promoted song" would.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:43 PM

You want it to sound better than it is. I'm not saying your music isn't good, but come on.

Since you're the only one doing it, maybe we should call it Kidd Cabbage's Garden of Hot Hits.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:06 PM

Synonyms of words often slightly differ in meaning according to context. But if I'm wrong and they don't, why don't we just use a different word every week? Oh, right, because if we use the synonym "recommended," per your list, people would derive a automatically assume that the site is recommending the song, which it's not.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpToken View Post
You want it to sound better than it is. I'm not saying your music isn't good, but come on.

Since you're the only one doing it, maybe we should call it Kidd Cabbage's Garden of Hot Hits.

Jesus - is that why you're against it? You think I just want *my music* to seem like it's way better than everyone else's? You realize that EVERYONE can promote their songs, right? And you know that I have LESS THAN TWO experience points to work with for promotions.

This isn't about me and my music being better than everyone else's, and it's not about anyone else having their music "sounding better" than yours, or whatever other out-to-get-you ideas you always seem to have in your head. It has to do with picking a name that actually sounds catchy and not retarded, but either way, it's Quintin's choice, and I really didn't think "Stuff that's being promoted right now" or whatever the hell it said was the best choice of words.

And Muurg, if you'll take a look at the thesaurus entry... "promoted" wasn't a synonym for "featured," it was the damned definition of it.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:41 PM

The concern is that anyone can promote their songs, and "featured" makes it seem like the site is promoting the songs; so in turn, if those promoted songs aren't really quality and people are promoting them as being "featured," and someone comes, listens, and hates what they hear, they're not going to explore the site more. It's more likely that use of a better word would quell that threat a bit.

Sure, if you use a dictionary that offers non-descriptive definitions it is.

How about something to the effect of "On Display"?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:53 PM

hahaha... I have nothing against you or your music and I don't feel like you're "out to get" me. Silly Kidd.

Since the site is using experience points and has a game/RPG theme, see if you can come up with something in that vein.

Stat Boost
Powered Up
Attack Mode
Bonus Level Music
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:42 PM

Murg: If "featured" has connotation that the site is featuring the songs instead of the user, then "promoted," "on display," or "showcase" or whatever you want to call it carry with them the same connotation. There's no real difference there, and "featured" is just as ambiguous as "promoted" as to who is backing it or displaying it.

Warp: If it wasn't about me, then why include the snide remark about "Kidd Cabbage's Garden of Hot Hits," seeing as how it is available to *everyone* and I have far less resources than others to do so right now? In fact, why include anything about my music at all? 'You're not saying *my* music isn't good, but come on.'
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:00 PM

Whatever you say, Kidd.

Anyway, I like "Powered Up."
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Warp: If it wasn't about me, then why include the snide remark about "Kidd Cabbage's Garden of Hot Hits," seeing as how it is available to *everyone* and I have far less resources than others to do so right now? In fact, why include anything about my music at all? 'You're not saying *my* music isn't good, but come on.'
Dude... I was simply saying that "featured" would sound Site Sponsored and that might not look good if anyone just promoted some junk track. I was clarifying that I didn't think your tracks were junk tracks.

The other thing was just a funny observation! You're the only one participating in the promotions so far and you're the one screaming the loudest to make the section sound cooler.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:02 PM

Why don't we just place it on the site in a really obvious place and not have any word at all? Seems logical to any site design as well as advantageous to everyone participating. Just.... don't have a word.... I'm fairly confident that would be a good idea.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
Why don't we just place it on the site in a really obvious place and not have any word at all? Seems logical to any site design as well as advantageous to everyone participating. Just.... don't have a word.... I'm fairly confident that would be a good idea.
Well, we do need a title, because it is required for the title of the box. I don't really care what it is; I'll let people come to a consensus in this thread and do whatever is decided.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:07 PM

Why don't you post your thoughts? It is your site and all, and we're not really coming to a consensus.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:34 AM

I don't have any thoughts about this issue. That's why I think it should be left as is unless people come to a consensus about how it should be changed.

Quote:
Why don't you post your thoughts? It is your site and all, and we're not really coming to a consensus.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:50 PM

Fine, we'll keep it legible for everyone by keeping a title. I'd prefer none... I mean, even with compliance for viewing inhibited people, we still have readers... and those readers read things that come up first, in which case, putting "promoted" or "featured" or "suck up" songs or w/e first will still come up first for them... so not really a problem. I did it for a living. (not a reader, a developer)

But okay.

If we want to reach a consensus we should first look at what's being said so that everyone read without misunderstanding each-other. I think "promoted" gives a wrong impression, because it says the word "promotion". That's not a good thing. That's very corporate. Like you're selling someone something they don't want. The word "featured" could be even worse though. It says "I'm what this site is about"... so, a bad song, implies a bad site. That's too risky for anyone right now, given the circumstances of late. "Promoted" sounds bad, "Featured" sounds bad and "Self-Featured" sounds even worse (which is something I just thought up)

Let's stop arguing about those words and try for new ones. No more dictionary references because no one who comes to the site will really care. They'll see the track, then the header, so we just gotta give them the right invite in text. There's gotta be the right word out there. (just my opinion of course, feel free to kick my ass on it)