VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:31 PM

"Harem Beat" undoubtedly derives inspiration from T-Square's "Bad Moon".

The credits are a tad frustrating but a pair of good ears can pick up on some of Hosoe and crew's regular players on guitar, bass. I'm guessing Hiroshi Kabori handled most of the acoustic and jazzier guitar rhythms and leads (Move, Coolman Rosso, BIRI BIRI) while Katsumi Yoshihara has most signature sound (Ancient Zone, Matador). Historically, Keiichi Shirashi, who plays a lot of slap (bass) has played with Yoshihara, they likely play on the same tracks.

Not surprising, the EX series has always had a tinge of jazz-fusion that's leaked into the series sound from the beginning.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:27 AM

Oh yeah, I'd love to see some research into how much T-Square influenced game music in the '90s and '00s, Gran Turismo and 2 notwithstanding...

Hosoe and the gang were about jazz-fusion all through the '90s and early '00s especially, heh. It's all over the Troubadour albums, all over their Namco and Arika works, etc. I kinda like the hard rave stuff they do these days, and Hosoe's cool synth guitar stuff, but I don't think I'm alone in saying we need more Strange Sunsets!

Somewhat related but definitely the wrong topic, I kinda liked Yousuke Yasui's older style from Rockman EXE Transmission as much as his current, and I wish he would pay tribute to that older work somehow. Of course, I already feel like Bust a Move! (especially Zero G) from Ginga Force (Yasui) is related to the Ura Net theme (Hosoe) or Transmission in general, so I don't know. Going a bit further, I feel like Excavation Express from Ginga Force (from an obscure composer named Kazuhiro Kobayashi) evokes Transmission and the like pretty hardcore; would make a very good Rockman theme for many of the subseries.

Last edited by Despatche; Jul 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 06:40 PM

Despatche, if you like this kind of music, you should get into Jap Jazz/Prog Rock. There are hundred of Albums played by the same people who worked on the SF EX series and the SNK fighting game series.