VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 22, 2020, 01:19 PM

Shouldn't "Tal Tal Heights" been renamed to "Tal Tal Mountain Range"? I know it's just a small suggestion on the English tracklist, but I think Tal Tal Heights is a different area which is below the mountain, while this track plays on the mountain range itself.

As the the composer breakdown, the different "versions" can be attributed to the original composer, as it's just a slightly different instrumentation.

"Rapid's Ride (Time Attack)" is an original track by Ryo Nagamatsu I think, so are "Shadow Battle - Final Form" (albeit the melody sounds familiar) and "The Windfish Appears". "Enter Name - Hidden BGM "Marin"" is another BotW Version, so Hamano can be credited I guess.

Btw currently playing the game and it's amazing! It was my first game back then on the original Game Boy!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 08:05 PM

Yeah, and this remixed soundtrack sounds spectacular. (Although to be honest, I think the Trials of Mana remixed score just edges this out, although only slightly.)
Old Mar 25, 2020, 08:45 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Yeah, and this remixed soundtrack sounds spectacular. (Although to be honest, I think the Trials of Mana remixed score just edges this out, although only slightly.)
Funny enough, for me the Nagamatsu's arranged version sounds god awful, something about those live instruments and how they're played just sounds bad. I don't know if it's me or my ears, or did they want this to sound like some kindergarten kids are playing or what.

Edit. Have to backtrack a bit, tracks without flutes (piccolo especially I think, or oboe) being the major instrument, are damn good. Why they had to overdo those so much on some tracks.

Last edited by razakin; Mar 25, 2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 03:52 PM

The original Game Boy soundtrack also had a toybox-like feel to it. I believe the goal was to predominantly feature the 8 instruments of the Sirens and I think Nagamatsu did a great job. Even with more traditional arrangements like Sword Search it's kept to a small ensemble and works well. And I can't even begin to tell how much I adore his version of Face Shrine. The original was one of the best tracks in the game and Nagamatsu elevates it to one of the best in the series. He knew to respect the original GB sound while adding those strings to really punch up the emotional impact of that point in the story. I almost dread listening to it because of the implications it has to Link's quest.

Last edited by Aifread; Mar 25, 2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 04:22 PM
Trusted Editor

Maybe it was just the beginning tracks on first disc that did annoy me, but after Tal Tal Mountain Range, I started noticing shift into a better stuff at least for me. Guess it kinda follows that the game is going into more and more towards ends, thus the 'toyboxness' starts to fade out.

Also, could be that I just love the original Game Boy soundtrack so much, so many good memories playing it as a kid.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 04:49 PM

I have a lot of memories and love for the original as well, but the infancy of GB music programming often produced a lot of these odd and sometimes abrasive sounds, and I think Nagamatsu captured that weirdness well if that makes sense. Stuff like the steel drum(?) he employs in the house theme somehow feels right and faithful to the feeling of the original and not just because of the island setting.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
The original Game Boy soundtrack also had a toybox-like feel to it. I believe the goal was to predominantly feature the 8 instruments of the Sirens and I think Nagamatsu did a great job. Even with more traditional arrangements like Sword Search it's kept to a small ensemble and works well. And I can't even begin to tell how much I adore his version of Face Shrine. The original was one of the best tracks in the game and Nagamatsu elevates it to one of the best in the series. He knew to respect the original GB sound while adding those strings to really punch up the emotional impact of that point in the story. I almost dread listening to it because of the implications it has to Link's quest.
Absolutely true. I think Nagamatsu did a great job with his arrangements here! The addition of some 8-bit sounds to the live instruments on some of the tracks really make the music feel special. I can't say enough how I love Tal Tal Heights and his arrangements (especially the second version) are absolutely stunning! And I agree, "Face Shrine" is one of the best arrangements on this soundtrack. While the original was quite mysterious but rather mundane, Nagamatsu brings up some real emotion here with this string arrangement (which is fitting as Link previously learned the fateful truth of his journey and this track kinda is a line from the unknown towards the doom).

I really wish they would remake A Link to the Past (yeah, again I know) with this visuals, as it's graphically identical as LA. Or maybe the Oracle games. I'm surprised Nintendo still comes up with fresh ideas for their franchise!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 09:47 AM

Does anyone have a better scan of the front of the box? The one image floating around on every site is relatively low quality with a nasty vertical line.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 04:46 AM

Check out the scan titled "Box Front".
Old Apr 29, 2020, 05:20 AM

Why does it look like it was scanned through a wet glass? In fact, all of the scans by Sireef come out like this. I'ma ask him some questions.
Old May 4, 2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Why does it look like it was scanned through a wet glass? In fact, all of the scans by Sireef come out like this. I'ma ask him some questions.
I think I finally know what you are talking about now, although I can only see it when I scan things which have a "shine" to them, like the front of the Nintendo Super Famicom game music album and the front of this Link's Awakening album. I personally can't see the problem on things that don't shine like that, but I suppose that doesn't mean the problem isn't there. I am red and green colour blind, so I see those colours differently to others so that may well be a factor. Not sure if there's a specific way to get scanners to scan things which have a shine to them. I'm still not sure how I would go about scanning things while keeping the gold tints.

Last edited by Sireef; May 4, 2020 at 01:26 AM.
Old May 4, 2020, 02:07 AM

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Aifread; May 4, 2020 at 02:11 AM.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Why does it look like it was scanned through a wet glass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sireef View Post
I think I finally know what you are talking about now, although I can only see it when I scan things which have a "shine" to them
Colors look fine if not great actually. What I notice compared to other scans is that at original resolution much of the halftone patterns seem to be blurred away, like with a selective blur. If not done afterward this may have been introduced by the scanner.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:14 PM
Trusted Editor

I also noticed it on some of his other scans, like for ASTRAL CHAIN Sound Selection, which doesn't have any shiny parts to it.

But I think this may be getting a little off track.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:57 PM

Does anyone know what the kana says on the spine of the OBI?
Old May 5, 2020, 04:46 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damned View Post
Does anyone know what the kana says on the spine of the OBI?
I'm not sure which part specifically you're talking about since there's a mix of kanji and kana on the Obi, so here's everything.

初回数量限定BOX仕様—First-Press Limited Quantity BOX

ゼルダの伝説 夢をみる島—This is just the title of the game in Japanese

オリジナルサウンドトラック—Original Soundtrack

Nintendo Switch版—Nintendo Switch Edition

ゲームボーイ版—Game Boy Edition

Last edited by Chris Porter; May 5, 2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old May 5, 2020, 07:53 PM

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
I'm not sure which part specifically you're talking about since there's a mix of kanji and kana on the Obi, so here's everything.
I thought "kana" was a universal word to refer to the entirety of the Japanese writing system.
Old May 5, 2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damned View Post
I thought "kana" was a universal word to refer to the entirety of the Japanese writing system.
Nope. Japanese uses two sets of kana (hiragana and katakana) along with kanji, which are borrowed from traditional Chinese.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:10 AM

I have been fighting over this album since March thanks to the global pandemic, but I finally managed to get it. I love it, even though I miss the English version of the Ballad of the Wind Fish: it is as beautiful as the Japanese version.

Anyway: I tried to remake the covers in HD with both the English and Japanese logos, so in case anyone is interested, I have uploaded them:
https://imgur.com/a/kGAChnf

Last edited by KyuzoOhashi; Jul 6, 2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
something about those live instruments
I've been listening to the switch OST for some time now, and I think it's safe to say the tracks are produced with really good orchestral sample libraries, not studio recorded or live instruments. I haven't found any orchestral perfomance credit online (although I haven't seen the booklet) and if you listen to the vibrato of the strings/flutes/oboe you can tell it's machine-like. I get this whole vibe that they were probably intentionally finding the most realistic (keyclicks, or other small acoustic sounds a real instrument would make) samples they could to match with the whole glossy HD aesthetic the visuals had.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesennin23 View Post
I've been listening to the switch OST for some time now, and I think it's safe to say the tracks are produced with really good orchestral sample libraries, not studio recorded or live instruments. I haven't found any orchestral perfomance credit online (although I haven't seen the booklet) and if you listen to the vibrato of the strings/flutes/oboe you can tell it's machine-like. I get this whole vibe that they were probably intentionally finding the most realistic (keyclicks, or other small acoustic sounds a real instrument would make) samples they could to match with the whole glossy HD aesthetic the visuals had.
Look at the scans we have of the booklet then (or the notes, which are copied directly from the booklet). All live performances.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 01:49 PM

Where are these scans? I've seen the notes but I'm still in disbelief those musicians were used on anything other than the Credits music.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 03:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Scans are available in the "Covers" section of the right sidebar on the album page, below the shop links. The instrumentalists are credited in the "Case 1 Booklet p. 05-06" scan specifically. (Though the credits don't state that every single song used live instruments, just that there were live performers.)
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:05 PM

Thanks. I really wish they could have been more specific! In addition to things like vibrato tipping me off, certain instrument sounds like the high trumpet in Tal Tal Mountain Range also make me think that the Ending~Staff Roll is the only track using the credited musicians. I believe everything else to be samples—really, really good samples. Samples I wish I had access to Anyone else have any clue whatsoever?

Edit: I just thought of something else, if the main OST used all studio musicians, shouldn't we also see some percussionists (Tal Tal) and recorder players (all of the "with Marin" versions) listed?

Last edited by kamesennin23; Sep 17, 2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:01 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
I just thought of something else, if the main OST used all studio musicians, shouldn't we also see some percussionists (Tal Tal) and recorder players (all of the "with Marin" versions) listed?
It’s not uncommon to use a mix of samples and live musicians on the same track. I’m not saying that’s definitely the case here, but the lack of percussionist and recorder credits isn’t a smoking gun or anything.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
It’s not uncommon to use a mix of samples and live musicians on the same track. I’m not saying that’s definitely the case here, but the lack of percussionist and recorder credits isn’t a smoking gun or anything.
True. I guess I'm kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel for clues here...
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I really wish they could have been more specific! In addition to things like vibrato tipping me off, certain instrument sounds like the high trumpet in Tal Tal Mountain Range also make me think that the Ending~Staff Roll is the only track using the credited musicians. I believe everything else to be samples—really, really good samples. Samples I wish I had access to Anyone else have any clue whatsoever?

Edit: I just thought of something else, if the main OST used all studio musicians, shouldn't we also see some percussionists (Tal Tal) and recorder players (all of the "with Marin" versions) listed?
It should be said that Nagamatsu played the recorder for the Milk Bar tracks in A Link Between Worlds and Moo Moo Meadows in Mario Kart Wii. Meaning it's likely he performed the recorder parts for this game. Similar to how Breath of the Wild doesn't have any credits for any piano performers, but an interview suggests that the composers performed it themselves.

Last edited by RegularPerson; May 18, 2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 06:58 AM

I just tagged the rip of my copy and have a few suggestions for improvements of the localized tracklist:
1-02, 3-3 "Name Entry" and 2-46~48, 4-33, 34, "Enter Name […]" are different translations of the same phrase "名前入力" in the Japanese tracklist. While the caption reads "Enter your name." in the Switch version, it reads "YOUR NAME?" in the GB versions. I therefore think they should be changed either
1) all to the same direct translation "Enter Name […]"
2) all to the caption from the corresponding game since this is a localized tracklist and the games are the best reference at the moment (disc 1, 2 "Enter Your Name"; disc 3, 4 "Your Name?")
3) or all to the Switch version "Enter Your Name" in respect to the consistency of the Japanese tracklist.
I think I’d go for the third, but other suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.

1-13, 3-14
Fairy Spring → Fairy Fountain
They are always called fountains in the English language versions of the Zelda series, I think.

1-14, 3-15
Game Shop → Trendy Game
Ingame caption.

1-27, 3-26
Rescue Bow Wow Mission → Rescue BowWow Mission
“BowWow” always stylized this way ingame.

1-37, 3-34
Level 3 - Key Cave → Level 3 - Key Cavern
Ingame caption.

1-63, 2-32, 3-55, 4-28
The Frog's Song of Soul → Frog's Song of Soul
"The" is not part of the song’s name and therefore should be removed.

2-05, 4-05
Resurrect the Rooster → Resurrect the Flying Rooster
This is how he’s called in the English versions.

2-33
Dampé's House → Dampé's Shack
Ingame caption.

If no one disputes one or all of the suggestions, I will work them into the tracklist in a week or so.

---
Edit: I got no reply, I therefore changed them now according to the suggestions above.

Last edited by Maskad; Mar 18, 2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath. Those track credits are probably long lost. Even the Twilight Princess HD soundtrack from a few years ago didn't have track credits.
Album arrived a day early and I just added all the booklet info to the notes. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
I noticed there was an actual composer breakdown, or at least, credits were given for disc 3 and 4 so I matched up these songs with their disc 1 and 2 counterparts to get a breakdown for the first two discs as well as the last two. It should be noted that any tracks original to the switch release I credited to Ryo Nagamatsu, while any remaining tracks that didn't have a counterpart, or were extra versions (for example disc 1 "With Marin" versions and some others on disc two), I simply put as "?". All the tracks that I didn't know who to credit to are in bold accompanied by their titles, so take a look and recommend something for them so we can complete this. I'm pretty sure I listed every track and didn't miss any, but if I did let me know.

I'm posting this in hopes of adding it to the game notes section, as well as asking who should be credited for the unknown compositions? I don't have my copy so I can't tell if the tracks (like Tal Tal Heights (Second Half version) or Shadow Battle - Final Form) use compositions from other pieces that could be credited to other composers.

I might try to reformat the list so it's nicer to look at/fits in more with the disc 3 & 4 breakdown, but for now I just wanted to post the list and get everyone's opinion on it. Any feedback is welcome.

For the new tracks I was thinking to just credit the original composer, while adding Nagamatsu on the end of it as well, but I'm curious as to what others think.
Quote:
Discs 1 & 2 Nintendo Switch version

All tracks on Discs 1 & 2 arranged by Ryo Nagamatsu unless stated otherwise.

Disc 1

01 - Minako Hamano & Kozue Ishikawa & Koji Kondo
02 - Minako Hamano & Koji Kondo
03-06,18-21, 23, 25, 30, 35, 37, 42-46, 55, 60, 61 - Minako Hamano
07-08 - Kozue Ishikawa & Koji Kondo
09-10, 12-14, 17, 27, 29, 34, 39, 40, 53, 58, 59, 63 - Kozue Ishikawa
11, 22, 26, 30, 31, 33, 38, 54, 56, 57, 62 - Kazumi Totaka
15-16, 32, 36 Ryo Nagamatsu
24, 52 - Kazumi Totaka & Minako Hamano
28, 41 - Kazumi Totaka & Soyo Oka
47 Field (With Marin Version) (First Time) - ?
48 Field (With Marin Version) (Normal) - ?
49 Mysterious Forest (With Marin Version) - ?
50 Tal Tal Heights (With Marin Version) - ?
51 Ballad of the Wind Fish (Move Walrus Version) - ?

Disc 2

01, 02, 08, 09, 12, 18-20, 27 Minako Hamano
03, 05, 06, 10, 11, 13, 22, 23, 29-32, 43, 46, 48, 49 - Kazumi Totaka
04 Yuichi Ozaki & Koji Kondo
14 Kozue Ishikawa
16, 25 Kazumi Totaka & Minako Hamano
26 Minako Hamano & Kozue Ishikawa
28, 50 Kozue Ishikawa & Koji Kondo
33 - 39 Ryo Nagamatsu
40, 41 Kazumi Totaka & Koji Kondo
07 Tal Tal Heights (Second Half Version) - ?
15 Rapid's Ride (Time Attack) - ?
17 Owl (Wind Fish's Egg Version) ?
21 Shadow Battle - Final Form ?
24 The Wind Fish Appears - ?
42 Get Item Fanfare (Secret Seashell Version) - ?
44 Get Important Item Fanfare (Golden Leaf Version) - ?
45 Get Important Item Fanfare (Ocarina Version) - ?
47 Enter Name - Hidden BGM "Marin" - ?
51 Ballad of the Wind Fish TV Commercial Version - Minako Hamano, and...?
Ah...I was a bit confused as to the origin of the composer credits for the Game Boy version (discs 3 & 4) in the album notes. It looked like the booklet only has a composer breakdown for the Nintendo Switch version (discs 1 & 2) when it's actually the credits for discs 3 & 4 (called "Game Boy version discs 1 & 2" on the album). IJustDontKnowAnymore then worked off Aifread's VGMdb album note composer breakdown (which, excepting some formatting, is identical to the booklet's) to create a list for "Nintendo Switch version discs 1 & 2" (the actual discs 1 & 2 of the album). Just thought I'd leave this here as people may be confused by this in the future. Thanks for your work, Aifread and IJustDontKnowAnymore!
Old Aug 20, 2023, 08:33 AM

"Ballad of the Wind Fish (TVCM Ver.)" is arranged by Jimanica (Even the singer confirms it).

No idea for the lyricist though... Could it be Aonuma ?