VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 12, 2009, 06:55 AM

Default Several database-related questions

1. Could you please provide a complete dump of your database (except usernames and password hashes, of course) for offline use? It would help to have a portable snapshot of VGMdb for multiple purposes; for example it feels more intuitive to locally execute select query in the console or a script, rather than receive html from your server and (visually or programmatically) parse resulting page. Even better if it were regularly updated (public API might help, yet it would still require internet access to use and make one feel guilty about needlessly loading your server).
2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me you are storing some supplementary track data as text blobs (Notes), rather than separate fields in DB. If the reverse were true it would make much more sense because it would be possible to:
a) indicate which tracks were used to create any particular remix track (think touhou) and search on these relations,
b) have per-track composers, arrangers and performers (and search on these relations).
Is this functionality in plans?
3. Any ETA for sample precision track lengths?
4. Same for .cue import/export?
(3. and 4. are somewhat related)
Old Apr 13, 2009, 02:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

1. I aim to set up a public API (returning XML) for this; at 12k entries the database isn't actually that large, so I think we can handle the load.
2. (a) and (b) are both planned. ETA should be sometime in May.

Everything hinges on the database restructuring really; (3) and (4) would be implemented in tandem with (2).
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:16 PM

Is your new database schema already defined?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

For the most part, yes. I'll put together something next week for you guys to look over.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:26 AM

Thanks. May I suggest to add two more fields in the physical compact disc table, namely left- and right-channel dynamic range (floating point)? While probably not as important factor in VGM as it is in other music, DR compression is a beast worth fighting everywhere.
There is a tool that takes a CD wav image as an input and outputs a numerical value in dB that is indicative of the perceived album dynamic range. Of course their choice of loudness metric is rather arbitrary, but at least it gives something to start from. I think it'd be nice to include this data (probably a single value that is the average of both channels, rounded to 1 decimal place, in javascript) in album page to let users know what they could possibly be getting.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Sounds good, I'll add that in.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:48 PM

Um, not to nag, but... any progress?
Old May 23, 2009, 01:01 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've put it on hold while I work on the podcast section, which should be done by Sunday.