VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 6, 2016, 01:29 PM

Kazumi Totaka definitely composed as well as the similarity of opening overworld music to his (solo) work for Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru can attest to.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 03:53 AM

OK, so I finally could listen to this and clarify which songs are included here; here is a list with all specific composers I could dig up (if I don't mention a song, is either because the game has only one composer or I couldn't find anything):

-1.19 (Color Dungeon, LADX): We already know this was handled by Yuichi Ozaki, but the original song here is "Dungeon" from the original TLoZ by Koji Kondo.

-1.20 (Ending: Staff Roll, LA): This album has an arrangement of the song mixed with Kondo's main theme, and the album credits Koji Kondo, Kozue Ishikawa and Minako Hamano. Taking out Kondo here, this means that this was by Ishikawa and/or Hamano.

-1.35 (Staff Roll 2 (Orchestra), OoT3D): Arranged by Mahito Yokota as stated in Iwata Asks; original music by Koji Kondo (Zelda's Lullaby / Hyrule Field / Main Zelda Theme)

-1.36 (Majora's Theme), 1.37 (Stone Tower Temple), 1.38 (Staff Roll), all from MM: All three by Koji Kondo

-1.39 (Staff Roll 2, MM3D): Arranged by Naoto Kubo; original music by Koji Kondo (Saria's Song / Clock Town / Song of Healing / Main Zelda Theme)

-1.40 (Ages / Seasons: Overworld): This is actually the "Field" theme from Link's Awakening with slight instrument changes; the LA song was done by Kozue Ishikawa and loosely based on Koji Kondo's main Zelda theme (credits in this album).

-1.43 (Title), 1.46 (Great Sea), 1.47 (Dragon Roost Island), 1.49 (Molgera), all from WW: first three by Kenta Nagata, Molgera by Hajime Wakai.

-1.45 (Grandma, WW): by Koji Kondo.

-2.01 (Overworld, FSA): by Asuka Ohta

-2.04 (Village of the Blue Maiden (after solving the puzzle), FSA): this album credits both Koji Kondo and Asuka Ohta; my guess is that Ohta arranged Kondo's Kakariko Village here.

-2.02 (Dungeon), 2.03 (Village of the Blue Maiden (before solving the puzzle)), 2.05 (Realm of the Heaven), 2.06 (Temple), 2.07 (Palace of Winds), 2.08 (Shadow Link), all from FSA: all of these songs are arrangements from Koji Kondo's ALttP songs (Cave, Kakariko Village, Death Mountain, Light World Dungeon, Ganondorf's Theme and Kakariko Soldiers respectively), but the arranger is not confirmed for none of these.

-2.11 (Title, TP): this album credits Koji Kondo and Toru Minegishi, but the only song Kondo did for this game was the trailer music; this leaves Minegishi arranging Kondo's TLoZ title here.

-2.12 (Teaser Music #1, TP): Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota are credited here; given how Teaser Music #2 is credited solely to Kondo in that album, I think this wasn't the piece handled by Kondo himself and he is only credited for the composition of Zelda's Lullaby, which was used here. So this leaves Yokota on arrangement / orchestration.

-2.13 (Hyrule Plains (Main Theme), TP): by Toru Minegishi

-2.16 (Linebeck's Theme, PH): this song was reprised in Spirit Tracks; ST's piano books contains it and credits Toru Minegishi.

-2.18 (Overworld Adventure Part 2 (Main Theme)) and 2.19 (Byrne's Theme), both from ST: both by Toru Minegishi

-2.21 (Song of the Goddess (Main Theme), SS): build around a backwards version of Koji Kondo's Zelda's Lullaby, this was created by Hajime Wakai and orchestrated by Takeshi Hama.

-2.23 (Staff Roll, SS): orchestral medley containing Ballad of the Goddess (Hajime Wakai), the main Zelda Theme (Koji Kondo) and Skyloft (Shiho Fujii); arranger / orchestrator unknown.

-2.24 (Title), 2.26 (Kakariko Village), 2.27 (Meeting Princess Zelda), 2.28 (The Bosses of Hyrule), 2.30 (The Lost Woods), 2.31 (Hyrule Theme 2), 2.36 (Lorule Theme), 2.37 (Death Mountain), all from ALBW: again, all of the songs are arrangements from Koji Kondo's ALttP music, but we know this time that the arranger is Ryo Nagamatsu.

-2.34 (StreetPass Battle Theme, ALBW): arrangement of Temple (Zelda II) by Ryo Nagamatsu, originally composed by Akito Nakatsuka

-2.38 (Credits, ALBW): begins with the Epilogue of ALttP (Koji Kondo), and has small phrases here and there of various themes (both from the SNES original and the 3DS new game); all arrangement (and composition of everything new) handled by Ryo Nagamatsu.

Please let me know if I'm forgetting or I mistook anything.

Last edited by RBM95; Oct 11, 2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 04:53 AM

Besides the obvious mistakes with the track numbers, I came up with the exact same results (only I didn't find quite as many tracks). Good job!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneSatyr View Post
Besides the obvious mistakes with the track numbers, I came up with the exact same results (only I didn't find quite as many tracks). Good job!
Oops, my bad I'll correct the numbers now.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 07:26 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMNintendoGamer View Post
-2.23 (Staff Roll, SS): orchestral medley containing Ballad of the Goddess (Hajime Wakai)
Apologies if I'm massively behind the curve on this and it's been common knowledge for ages but could you point to me the confirmation of this?

EDIT - Nevermind I've found it!

Last edited by Jimby; Oct 11, 2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 08:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor

BoneSatyr, can you explain why you insist on normalizing the album title? It's consistently written in all-caps on the covers as far as I can see, and we usually go exactly by what's printed.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
BoneSatyr, can you explain why you insist on normalizing the album title? It's consistently written in all-caps on the covers as far as I can see, and we usually go exactly by what's printed.
I'm afraid you haven't looked at the scans closely enough then. Every first character in every word is clearly a lot bigger than the rest of them, which to me says that they mean that only the first character should be upper case, they just chose to use a font where every character looks like it's written in caps. I've seen the same thing on other albums on this site, and those titles weren't written all in caps. Check the "back" scan if you want to see it more clearly than on the box.
Compared to the Mario collection you can really see the difference.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I had a minor debate with Razakin on #vgmdb (IRC) about this, which started pretty much the same way, so instead of repeating myself, I'll just paste it here:

Quote:
(Razakin) Nisto: The font on that Zelda album does have big and small letters if you check it, the font type just looks like it's all caps
(Nisto) Yeah, but small capital letters != lower letters
(Razakin) Depends on font type I say
(Razakin) I'd make it Lower Case if I would rip that album
(Nisto) :shrug:
(Razakin) seeing how it its on tray and back scans
(Nisto) It's also not consistent.. look at "the legend of" between the "Back" and "Booklet Back" covers
(Razakin) because one uses the logo name/picture and one is just written normally. Com
(Razakin) _come on nisto, you know I'm right
(Razakin) just check obi or first booklet scan
(Nisto) Uhhh, where is it written "normally"?
(Razakin) back has the logo and booklet back has it 'normally'. Aka without logo
(Razakin) Though, album titles with ALL CAPS aren't as annoying as with some albums where there's word or two lowercase
(Nisto) They both look like logos to me by your reasoning. Just look at the Z on "Zelda"..
(Nisto) And the text on the discs/booklet back and others look more like a typical logo than that full album title...
(Razakin) someone call nintendo and ask them

Last edited by Nisto; Oct 11, 2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I had a minor debate with Razakin on IRC about this, so instead of repeating myself, I'll just paste it here:
Well, it all depends on what you want to go by. Look at Majora's Mask 3D for instance. If you go by what's written on the case, it's all caps, if you go by the discs, then it's only upper case on each first character. Do as you wish, I just figured the change I made was more accurate.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Well, it all depends on what you want to go by. Look at Majora's Mask 3D for instance. If you go by what's written on the case, it's all caps, if you go by the discs, then it's only upper case on each first character. Do as you wish, I just figured the change I made was more accurate.
Oh, I never go by any one cover. The point I was making in the IRC chat about the title on the discs was that they (as examples) are inconsistent with the other variation. If you compare the front of the box, the exterior covers of the booklet AND the discs, you'll notice that the writing differs from the tray/obi/back/etc. In other words, there are multiple covers that differ from the "THE LEGEND OF" variation - not just the discs (if you thought I was going solely by that). Anyway, I didn't mean to come off as combative. We both have our valid points here.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Oh, I never go by any one cover. The point I was making in the IRC chat about the title on the discs was that they (as examples) are inconsistent with the other variation. If you compare the front of the box, the exterior covers of the booklet AND the discs, you'll notice that the writing differs from the tray/obi/back/etc. In other words, there are multiple covers that differ from the "THE LEGEND OF" variation - not just the discs (if you thought I was going solely by that). Anyway, I didn't mean to come off as combative. We both have our valid points here.
Hey, no hard feelings. I would prefer if it was all in caps, without size difference, simply because it would fit together nicely with the Mario collection.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think in other albums we do use small capital letters = lower letters.

More importantly, the tray text says "It's a secret to everybody".
I checked around and it seems like it's quite memetic in japanese as well and not just a localization thing.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

If you say so, Dag. Resorting to normalized casing is actually a standard I've settled on myself for tagging when titles are inconsistent, aside from maybe specific parts which are consistently printed (Another Mind is a mess for example). I've gone ahead and finally accepted the edit.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 06:14 PM

Wish Skyloft was on here.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 09:28 AM

Should I upload scans for the first press bonus covers?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Should I upload scans for the first press bonus covers?
Sure, or I could do it if you want. The reason I hadn't done it before was because I worried I would destroy the packaging they were in, but I have managed to open up the alternative covers without destroying the packaging now at least. Still trying to figure out a plan for opening up the CDJapan bonus without destroying the packaging so I can put it back in after, though.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sireef View Post
Sure, or I could do it if you want. The reason I hadn't done it before was because I worried I would destroy the packaging they were in, but I have managed to open up the alternative covers without destroying the packaging now at least. Still trying to figure out a plan for opening up the CDJapan bonus without destroying the packaging so I can put it back in after, though.
My covers only came in a resealable plastic sleeve, did yours come in something else? If the CDJapan bonus really is a clearfile, I wouldn't try to do anything with it, except maybe insert a white or black paper inside of it, and try to scan one side at a time. All clearfiles I've received in the past have been stamped together at the edges, so I doubt you'll be able to get it back together if you open it up completely.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
My covers only came in a resealable plastic sleeve, did yours come in something else? If the CDJapan bonus really is a clearfile, I wouldn't try to do anything with it, except maybe insert a white or black paper inside of it, and try to scan one side at a time. All clearfiles I've received in the past have been stamped together at the edges, so I doubt you'll be able to get it back together if you open it up completely.
Yeah, my covers are the same as yours. I'm visually-impaired, so I didn't notice when I first looked at them. But yeah, they are resealable, so I can easily scan those now.

My problem with the clearfile is it has a sticker on it, so it looks like the packaging would be ruined if I opened it. I could still scan the front while it's in the packaging though.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sireef View Post
Yeah, my covers are the same as yours. I'm visually-impaired, so I didn't notice when I first looked at them. But yeah, they are resealable, so I can easily scan those now.

My problem with the clearfile is it has a sticker on it, so it looks like the packaging would be ruined if I opened it. I could still scan the front while it's in the packaging though.
If I'd risk ruining something I paid money for, I'd just leave it and maybe try and take a decent photo of it instead. Scans just aren't that important that you should risk damaging stuff.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
If I'd risk ruining something I paid money for, I'd just leave it and maybe try and take a decent photo of it instead. Scans just aren't that important that you should risk damaging stuff.
Yeah, I agree. I'll try scanning with the packaging on and see how it turns out. If that fails, I can see what it looks like as a photo.

Edit: I found a way of opening it without ruining the packaging. Turns out I could get it out from the side, so I didn't have to take the sticker off after all.

Last edited by Sireef; Oct 28, 2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 02:31 AM

What is the "A5 clearfile" for? A5 is pretty small, so I guess it's for the 16 alternate covers...?

Also, since the spinecard is on the outer cardboard box, and the cardboard box is a 1st press exclusive, does it mean the reprint has a different spinecard? The size can't be the same...?

Is the reprint out already?

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:56 AM

Takeshi Hama listed twice under Composers?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:47 PM

Any reason Michiru Oshima is absent from the credits here? I was sure it was pretty well-documented that she arranged the trailer music for Twilight Princess.

EDIT: It should also be noted that Toru Minegishi didn't do any of the Majora's Mask tracks here. He only did three battle themes and the rest was all Kondo.

Last edited by Aifread; Jan 5, 2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:32 AM

One more thing. We know from NTDT-17294~5 that 2.18 is Minegishi.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 07:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
Any reason Michiru Oshima is absent from the credits here? I was sure it was pretty well-documented that she arranged the trailer music for Twilight Princess.

EDIT: It should also be noted that Toru Minegishi didn't do any of the Majora's Mask tracks here. He only did three battle themes and the rest was all Kondo.
I linked Michiru Oshima, can you add the track information to thee notes?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 07:13 PM

The notes as they are are what's written in the booklet, which are just general music credits for each game and not necessarily the tracks represented. I dunno if we wanna keep that or rewrite it with all the confirmed info we have from other sources. Maybe an "individual track credits" section below it would work?

Last edited by Aifread; Jan 18, 2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 02:26 PM

I would appreciate a separate section for detailed credits for tracks where such are available and valid. I don't know why more detailed information shouldn't be featured here just because it's not in this particular booklet. Much of it can be found in other entries, but finding the best information shouldn't be hide and seek on a database, I guess.

Changed "Oshu's Theme" into "Oshus' Theme", because the character's name appears to be Oshus, not Oshu.