VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Product (Game) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Testing product discussion submission.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:45 PM

Should they really all appear under the "Video Game Music Discussion" subforum? I think an own "Products Discussion" subforum would be better as I don't expect them all to be game music related.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:58 PM
Trusted Editor

Is this even the case? I was assuming that this post appeared in the VGM area since Ookami is a videogame franchise and not an anime franchise.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Anime product discussions appear under anime.

We could also create a forum under Misc for products that are unrelated to Game or Anime. We haven't done this with albums yet though.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:08 PM
Trusted Editor

Then I think the current system is good - why introduce another forum area just for the franchise discussions?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:11 PM

I just thought another forum area for the franchise discussions would be good since those can be about everything franchise related, not necessarily only the music aspect. But I'm fine with the separation as mentioned by SS above.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:14 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

This discussion is currently based on a "franchise" and not a "product" if i get it right.. (so it should be in a franchise sub-forum ?)

So what about a franchise that have both Game & Anime products.. let's say for exemple Record of Lodoss War ?

Maybe franchises should have their own board, a general talk about the whole franchise. And the products on the genre subforums.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, that explains the confusion. I meant to submit this from the game, not the franchise.

We'll probably have to make another subforum to put the franchises and the products that are neither game nor anime.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:33 AM

"No product Link" can be added as a search option in the future. We currently have to leave albums that are connected to a release, not a product.

Also, although I don't think it's a big deal, a linked product often remains an unassigned one (ex.), if the display name of a product and the text in the product table are different.

One more thing I'd appreciate is to uncheck the "APPLY" box of the product for which multiple IDs are suggested. When the franchise and its product share the same name, I think one with an earlier ID number is suggested (ex.) and I think it will sometimes result in mislinking, since franchises are generally added ahead of Title (product), yet linking albums to the franchise is much less frequent, so ideally, we should select the right one manually.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Posting in an Okami thread is usually a good way to get my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
"No product Link" can be added as a search option in the future. We currently have to leave albums that are connected to a release, not a product.
"No Product Link" added.

I haven't worked through the mechanics, but I think that linking to releases will involve linking to the product, then association the releases as a separate step.

Quote:
Also, although I don't think it's a big deal, a linked product often remains an unassigned one (ex.), if the display name of a product and the text in the product table are different.
This is the default behavior in artists too. You might as well propagate the true product name into the album's product field, since there really isn't any reason for it to be different (unless it's a placeholder for some specific release name). Otherwise, nobody sees it anyway.

Quote:
One more thing I'd appreciate is to uncheck the "APPLY" box of the product for which multiple IDs are suggested. When the franchise and its product share the same name, I think one with an earlier ID number is suggested (ex.) and I think it will sometimes result in mislinking, since franchises are generally added ahead of Title (product), yet linking albums to the franchise is much less frequent, so ideally, we should select the right one manually.
I thought I implemented this a long time ago, but my implementation apparently wasn't working correctly. I tried something different, so let me know if it works for all cases.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:45 AM

They seem to work right, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I haven't worked through the mechanics, but I think that linking to releases will involve linking to the product, then association the releases as a separate step.
I can't expect how the eventual implementation will turn out, but I'm strongly concerned that, without some suffixes, linking to releases won't be so useful at least from the album pages.

A game title can differ depending on platform or region, but it's not always the case and a port could remain entitled by the same name, so like artists, we should be able to add some suffixes. For instance, This album has tracks from FFIII DS and FFIV DS, but as there are too many related games and selected platforms, users can hardly get it at the first look (that's why the current platform table malfunctions, since it after all doesn't show which game each selected platform corresponds to). Even if we link them to each release page, users still have to click the links and go to the release pages until they realize those tracks are from the DS releases. That doesn't sound right to me.

So, I suppose an ideal linking has to be; Final Fantasy III (Nintendo DS)", "Final Fantasy IV (Nintendo DS), not Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV.

Also, if "linking to releases" means a direct linkage to the lowest page in the product hierarchy (like this) as I assume, I wonder if we ever need this function, since the suffix will perfectly serve the role, and it's common that there are multiple candidates to link. This album contains "My Hands", the theme song of FFXIII replacing the Japanese one in the international releases, so I'd make the assigned product text like "Final Fantasy XIII (U.S., EU, Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits International)", but we have five releases to link, mainly to due cross-platforming (150, 151, 152, 153, 154). Which one to select is a bit too subjective, yet linking all of them just makes it messy.

Much simpler is; Final Fantasy XIII (U.S., EU, Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits International).

It's also helpful that we can sometimes change the assigned text from the linked one. We can already do the same for artists, although it's seen as alias. For this,
Text -> Nier
Linked URL -> Nier (Game)
Assigned & Linked Name -> NieR Replicant

So I can't just see much merit in linking to releases, but I don't intend to stop your current plan, or don't even know how it's going to be, in the first place, It's just my two cents.