VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:34 PM

Default Konami Perfect Selection Dracula New Classic on eBay RIGHT NOW!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dracula-New-Clas...item4cf5bddada

Opening bid is only $250, super rare CD! Just thought I'd post this here so some other lucky collector can get this CHEAP!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon64 View Post

Opening bid is only $250, super rare CD! Just thought I'd post this here so some other lucky collector can get this CHEAP!
I find your idea of "lucky" and "cheap" quite hilarious.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:14 AM

i wish i lived in a world where $250 were a frivolous amount of money
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:23 AM

Dude, $250 for this CD IS lucky AND cheap.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Dude, $250 for this CD IS lucky AND cheap.
I don't think so. 11 years ago I would've agreed. But times have changed.

Look at this...the bidding is at 11 yen.

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f100746949

Here's the babelfish translation:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

A whole bunch of rare vgm like this is selling for super-cheap on YJA right now.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:04 PM

Well that's interesting... How can it be going for so cheap? Isn't it extremely rare? Course, that auction isn't over yet...
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:19 AM

I'm not shocked that the auction ended with zero bids.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:55 AM

Actually when I checked it last night it had 7 bids and was up to 2600 yen (about $32) so either the seller pulled it or it did in fact sell with bids. Unfortunately we can't check completed auctions.

Also, I don't know why I didn't think of this last night but you also have to consider the current situation in Japan. With 3 major disasters plaguing the country and an economy that was essentially killed overnight I can't imagine the trade of rare video game CD's is a huge priority right now. Show me an auction from a month ago for the CD and then we'll talk about value in Japan.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:17 AM
Trusted Editor

You can check completed Y!J auctions:

現在価格 4,380 円
残り時間 終了
入札件数 13 (入札履歴)

1ページ中1ページ目を表示 (入札合計:8件)
最高額入札者
sre***** / 評価:532
4,380 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 23時 41分
zwe***** / 評価:359
4,280 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 23時 40分
kao***** / 評価:1207
3,610 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 23時 33分
kai***** / 評価:49
3,301 円 / 1個 / 3月 20日 4時 53分
sam***** / 評価:126
2,500 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 13時 59分
az1***** / 評価:132
1,100 円 / 1個 / 3月 16日 0時 19分
hor***** / 評価:296
560 円 / 1個 / 3月 20日 0時 15分
th_***** / 評価:54
1 円 / 1個 / 3月 15日 22時 24分
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:00 AM

So it ended at roughly $54? Still an amazing deal but I think it would have gone for more in a different time than now.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Market values are all about the time frame, ask any stock trader...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:43 PM

So by that logic, the CD was worth $250 at the time it was listed in the US a week ago and is only worth $54 in Japan right now? That doesn't really mean much considering the situation over there. The CD could still well be worth a lot more here in the US (one sold a few weeks ago for $200) than on an auction site exclusive to a country in chaos.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:01 AM

if you can sell it for that price, more power to you, maybe someone out there is willing to pay. i think any seller is interested in getting the most they can.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
So by that logic, the CD was worth $250 at the time it was listed in the US a week ago and is only worth $54 in Japan right now?

That doesn't really mean much considering the situation over there. The CD could still well be worth a lot more here in the US (one sold a few weeks ago for $200) than on an auction site exclusive to a country in chaos.
It was never worth $250. eBay scalpers and Japanese sellers overpricing their material shouldn't be used as a benchmark.

If you're talking about the recent earthquake and tsunami, you read like a CNN article. Over half of Japan is fine, and this holds no bearing whatsoever on the price of soundtracks.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:16 PM

No, that means that over half of Japan isn't interested in buying CD's is what that means. And half of a country in turmoil also doesn't guarantee the other half isn't affected in some way by it. If New York suddenly sank into the ocean I know for dang sure I'd suspend my own personal frivolous spending to try to help, maybe that's just me.

And according to economics 101, if this CD sold for $200 in the US recently than the most current market value of the CD is... $200. And sellers on THIS VERY SITE have this CD listed at $300. I know cause I asked him. So outside of eBay this CD is apparently worth something to someone. I've also spoken with members here and I've been told that in 2001 someone lost an auction and he bid $450. If eBay is the only place to find an item for sale than eBay is a damn fine way to determine what the market value is, scalpers or not. If it sells, you know the value regardless of how said value is found.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:40 PM
Trusted Editor

From Wikipedia about Market value:
Quote:
Readers should realize that Market Value is not exact science, but an introduced concept from individuals and companies as a business tool. Value is subject to seller and buyer's perception and interpretation of parameters that they decide to take into consideration, while other people usually refer to their very own perceptions and interpretations of what those people think is important. Any whatever article should be explained in this context, because people pay what they want in spite of whatever advice.

Local, regional, national, international? Considering that Market Price is what people agree to pay for something at a given moment at a given place, it is important to underline the importance of the time and place range wherein sellers and buyers meet. The Local and Instant Market Value of a specific item is exactly the same as the Local Market Price. And if several people want the same thing while there is not enough for everybody that wants it, Market Value and Market Price are identical. It is wrong to state that things have any stand-alone value, because value depends upon transactions. No transaction means zero value, whatever value estimation or selling price expectation. When a lot of popular items in a place is almost sold out, sometimes people are willing to pay more than the asking price rather than spend time and effort to get it cheaper elsewhere. Is the paid price then Market Value or Market Price? Both.
And from my perspective as a mathematican basing your market value on just one or two samples is a highly (!) inaccurate statistics. You could also phrase it as this popular joke:
"100% of the women between 20 and 60yrs say I'm handsome. This is the result of a survey between me and my mother."
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
No, that means that over half of Japan isn't interested in buying CD's is what that means.

And half of a country in turmoil also doesn't guarantee the other half isn't affected in some way by it. If New York suddenly sank into the ocean I know for dang sure I'd suspend my own personal frivolous spending to try to help, maybe that's just me.
If this were true, people wouldn't be buying this exact CD post-disaster. Taken from above:

4,280 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 23時 40分
3,610 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 23時 33分
3,301 円 / 1個 / 3月 20日 4時 53分
2,500 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 13時 59分
1,100 円 / 1個 / 3月 16日 0時 19分

Month/Day/Hour/Minute.

I assume this is a bidding list for a single auction. These are all Japanese Yahoo! Japan auction bidders bidding post-disaster. Life goes on.

Quote:
And according to economics 101, if this CD sold for $200 in the US recently than the most current market value of the CD is... $200. And sellers on THIS VERY SITE have this CD listed at $300. I know cause I asked him. So outside of eBay this CD is apparently worth something to someone. I've also spoken with members here and I've been told that in 2001 someone lost an auction and he bid $450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Market values are all about the time frame, ask any stock trader...
Quote:
If eBay is the only place to find an item for sale than eBay is a damn fine way to determine what the market value is, scalpers or not. If it sells, you know the value regardless of how said value is found.
Put it like this. If someone purchases a 1984 Ford Mustang for $20,000 USD this very minute, does that set the market value? No, it just means somebody paid way too much for something that's readily available elsewhere, for cheaper. The same situation applies here.

I don't know why you'd defend this price unless you've overpaid, or are actually the eBay auctioneer himself. Regardless, your understanding of current market value is incredibly flawed. You can't dismiss foreign sales of foreign goods, especially not on a site which caters to them.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:43 PM

So this CD is readily available to someone in the US as long as they buy it on a Japan exclusive auction site? Is that what your saying? Kind of scratching my head over that one.

Ford Mustangs are freakin' EVERYWHERE, poor example. This CD pops up for sale on an auction site open to the US very rarely.

BMW's are nice cars in the US. Fairly expensive. In the UK they're a dime a dozen. Yes, regional market values vary. Greatly. How is my understanding flawed again? My point is something like this could EASILY be worth a great deal more in a country where it is hard to come by vs. the country of origin. And no, I'm not the auctioneer...

Last edited by Ghaleon64; Mar 29, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:59 PM

No, what I'm saying is that somebody buying something for a high price doesn't necessarily set the value of the item at that price.

So why do you keep defending this, anyway? You either know the auctioneer (or are), or purchased this for a high price and wish for it to keep a high market value (or for the sake of somebody else). What other reason could there be?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:48 AM

whatever the reason, isn't it his prerogative to decide what he wants to charge for it?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:00 AM
Trusted Editor

He's free to sell it for however much he thinks t's worth, however misguided it may be. I think it's ironic he's posting advertising it as being a steal on one of the most visited sites by people deeply vested in this hobby. It's also hilarious that he's trying to rationalize really poor market analysis but that's besides the point.

He will likely not sell it for 250$ (to someone on this site) and we've already given him hard evidence that it has recently sold for 1/5th of what we have seen it sell for 10 years in the past. Anyone who reads this thread will get that and I think that's really the key takeaway here.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:50 AM

Auction results will generally set the trends, which ultimately determines how much somebody (if they want it enough) is going to pay for an item. I agree that he is overpricing that item, but I would also say that quite a large handful of the community here are cheap skates and so therefore he shouldn't be disheartened too much
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:47 PM

Me personally I would never pay that much for New Classic. Not worth it imo. I've seen it go for much cheaper.

Hell I bought Phantasy Star Collection Sound Collection I (used) and Phantasy Star Collection Sound Collection II (factory sealed) together just around the same amount that person was asking for New Classic.

Last edited by PerfectZer0; Apr 1, 2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:12 PM

For me $250 isn't even close to what I feel this album's worth, but on the other hand when your only competition is a Japanese language website that 99.9% of the time locks out foreign buyers I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to disregard Y!J auction prices.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:56 PM

LOL, I'm NOT the seller! The seller is a member of this site, yes. But it ain't me. I believe his username is Avatar. I asked him what he wanted for it, he said $300 and then listed it for $250. That's what happened. So when I saw it up for sale I figured I'd spread the news, THAT'S ALL. And it's not poor market analysis, thank you. Are you some economics expert or something? Lol. If you are, dancey, then please. Embark some of your divine market wisdom to me and tell me what this CD is worth in the US? You gave me a bunch of listings from a website that primarily won't do business outside of Japan so how about a local analysis?

Here, beat these articles if you would be so kind:
-http://www.6dft.net/2011/02/28/konami-perfect-selection-dracula-new-classic/
Random article written in February that acknowledges the value.

-http://www.soundtrackcentral.com/cds/dracula_newclassic.htm
Hmm, right from the get go this article exclaims how rare the CD is. Last paragraph mentions insane value.

-http://www.castlevaniadungeon.net/Media/newclassic.html
Good ol' Castlevania Dungeon, once again mentions the CD is extremely rare and fetches insane prices.

I'm itching to hear Mr. Market Brain explain how a CD that is so worthless (apparently) has gathered such a widespread reputation of being both incredibly rare and worth a small fortune.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 03:05 AM
Trusted Editor

I'm not a market analyst but I'm also not the one trying to defend the 300$ price tag. Country of origin no longer makes a difference with the advent of middleman services like Shopping Mall Japan, so yes, the average ending prices on Yahoo! Japan are accurate current prices for it. There are no longer major barriers between the Japanese market and the American market like there were 20, 10 years ago, and that is the only reason they fetched such ridiculous prices.

The first site notes, again, the insane asking prices on eBay that it used to go for.
The second site is a review that is 10 years old
The third site is a site dedicated to Castlevania and I know that review is well over 8 years old because I know the original author (and site owner).

I'm not doing any crazy market analysis, I'm taking current list prices and extrapolating. You, on the other hand, are taking 10 year old outlier data and drawing conclusions from them. The cd is rare, no one is arguing that. The cd is not worth 300$ anymore, not in Japan, not in the US, and the only way you're going to fetch that ridiculous price tag is if you find someone with a really big pocket who just doesn't care, or if you find someone who is just as misinformed as you are.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:24 PM

OK, well there IS a current listing price from the US and it's $200. I mentioned this earlier. Before this most recent auction there was another on eBay with a Buy-it-Now for $200 and it SOLD. So is that not also a "current" price? And is it not a "current" US price? I'm not defending anything, I'm pointing out that this CD still seems to be worth a good deal in the States, as has been backed up by said articles, no matter how old they are, and the most recent finding we have of value in the States. This CD is no longer offered new in retail in the US or Japan so the point about market barriers is irrelevant really. Of course there are middlemen, most of them are here on this site! And one of them is asking $300. I personally don't understand why I have to argue this point. It's selling CHEAP in Japan and EXPENSIVE in the US, as it has been for DECADES. So why is everyone so quick to jump on MY case for defending the FACTS? Someone show me otherwise that this CD is NOT worth $200 to a US buyer cause so far I seem to be the only one with any proof. I only wish the auction would still show up in the completed listings page but this was a few weeks ago, maybe end of Feb. This CD wouldn't have a reputation of being valuable if it WASN'T.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
OK, well there IS a current listing price from the US and it's $200. I mentioned this earlier. Before this most recent auction there was another on eBay with a Buy-it-Now for $200 and it SOLD. So is that not also a "current" price?
Are you talking about the one you bought for $200?

Last edited by Raizen1984; Apr 5, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 03:58 AM
Trusted Editor

@Ghaleon64: Using caps doesn't make your argument any better...
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:01 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
Are you talking about the one you bought for $200?
pwned

Anyway, as dancey said, nowadays shopping in Japan is not a problem anymore, so you probably should consider YAJ as possible source for buying VGM. But I have to admit, that the Japanese market is completely different, than the one in the US or Europe, since Nippon is the source of most of our beloved childs, hence the lower prices in general.