VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 24, 2020, 01:08 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Super excited for this one! I haven't played any of the new game, but I loved the first game and its soundtrack, so I'm hoping for more of the same caliber from Yasunori Nishiki.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 01:16 AM

So am I! I wasn't familiar with Yasunori Nishiki before Octopath Traveler, but since then I'm a huge fan. No wonder Square Enix hired him on major projects like FF7R or KHIII. Hopefully he continues with his style and that he will be participating on future Square Enix projects!
Old Dec 24, 2020, 05:08 AM

What I've heard this is a great OST that continues on heels of the original. Can't wait.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
What I've heard this is a great OST that continues on heels of the original. Can't wait.
From what I've heard in trailers, the music sounds even more intriguing. Can't wait.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 01:57 AM

Samples up on the website

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/music...r_tairiku_OST/
Old Feb 19, 2021, 05:12 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
I added the track list as listed on the site.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 05:33 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

For now, I added image of the case front, booklet front, and the pages with the credits from the booklet. I'll take and upload the rest of the images after work today if no one else has done it yet.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 01:21 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I added the rest of the images.

There were three different pre-order/early purchase clear card bonuses. I uploaded an image of the one that was exclusive to the Square Enix Official Store. We still need the one that was exclusive to Amazon, and the one for everywhere else.

Last edited by Chris Porter; Mar 10, 2021 at 03:11 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:15 AM

Thank you very much!
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:25 AM

I am so, so sad this didn't get an overseas digital release. I'm not surprised seeing as it hasn't been localized, but I'm running out of a space and don't think I need a physical copy of this one, so I am a bit bummed.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 01:54 PM

The game will quite certainly release in the west as "Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent" sometime sooner or later, hopefully we will also get an English, overseas soundtrack release alongside it.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 06:26 AM
Trusted Editor

Preliminary English tracklist added. Presumably to be replaced once a localization happens but until then, this should do.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 04:11 AM

Ugh. Yet another 3CD set that fits perfectly on 2CDs without even coming close to the 80 minute limit, much less the ~86+ limit that actually exists these days.
Why?
Old Mar 16, 2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Ugh. Yet another 3CD set that fits perfectly on 2CDs without even coming close to the 80 minute limit, much less the ~86+ limit that actually exists these days.
Why?
I don't know why they included the tracks from the original Octopath Traveler here, if these weren't included maybe it could have been a 2-disc set. Or are they arrangements? From the samples it seems they are identical to the original ones.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 04:17 AM

Really? Could have sword they were arrangements (I know I saw either a Battle 2 or Decisive Battle 2 arrangement pop up on YT claiming to be from the game).
But again, 2:11 means each disc would be about 66 minutes. Hardly any need to make three, so no that wouldn't be why.

If they ARE the original, well I'll gladly sell my copy to anyone in US who wants it...
Old Mar 17, 2021, 06:14 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
I don't know why they included the tracks from the original Octopath Traveler here, if these weren't included maybe it could have been a 2-disc set. Or are they arrangements? From the samples it seems they are identical to the original ones.
The ones marked "from OCTOPATH TRAVELER" are the same tracks as on the first game's soundtrack, just with very slightly different mastering to blend better with this OST release. They're not new arrangements, unfortunately.

As for why they're included on this album, it's likely they were reused in the game Tairiku no Hasha itself, but I haven't played it so I can't say for certain.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 04:12 AM

Yikes, ok, I'm not even going to open mine. Look for it to pop up for sale...
Old Mar 18, 2021, 06:33 AM

Doesn't 2-12 translate better to "Master of All" than "Master of Lust"?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 06:59 AM

Yeah I think whoever translated it mixed half of 2.11 into 2.12
Old Mar 18, 2021, 07:02 AM

'Cause unlike the other "Drowning in"/"Master of" track pairs, they actually have different characters.

Also, "Desire" may or may not be a better translation than "Lust", since it's about Pardis III's desire to possess everything and "Lust" has more carnal implications. Plus Google Translate renders it as "Desire".

Last edited by Noneofyourbusiness; Mar 18, 2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:15 AM
Trusted Editor

I updated these. I went with Lust because it fit thematically better with Avarice / Greed / Fame than "Desire" did. The latter was just a mistake because I assumed it was another paired track and didn't even bother to check it.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 12:34 PM

Thank you! Also, I've seen Helminia's title translated on the wiki and in previews as "The Witch of Greed" but not as "The Witch of Avarice" anywhere, and Pardis's name as "Pardis III" rather than "the Third" spelled out. And "Titus's Cathedral" should have a possessive apostrophe, right?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yikes, ok, I'm not even going to open mine. Look for it to pop up for sale...
It's a shame, really. Idk the production background, but I would call this just "lazy", re-using old tunes from the previous game and EVEN include a handful of them on the newly released soundtrack! This kind of stuff always sucks ... so much wasted space, only to double the price because it's 3 discs and not 2. Idk if these things are made on purpose or a marketing strategy, but from a customer's sight this is annoying so I totally can understand you...
Old Mar 18, 2021, 02:08 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneofyourbusiness View Post
Thank you! Also, I've seen Helminia's title translated on the wiki and in previews as "The Witch of Greed" but not as "The Witch of Avarice" anywhere, and Pardis's name as "Pardis III" rather than "the Third" spelled out. And "Titus's Cathedral" should have a possessive apostrophe, right?
These are just translation differences and without a localization to fall back on I don't think one can be labeled correct or not. Titus Cathedral will have to wait for a localization because most major cathedral names that belong to a person have a possessive (St Paul's, St. Patrick's, etc.) but the few instances I could find of a cathedral name with a persons name ending in an 's' does not (St Charles Cathedral, Wells, St Albans).
Old Mar 19, 2021, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
It's a shame, really. Idk the production background, but I would call this just "lazy", re-using old tunes from the previous game and EVEN include a handful of them on the newly released soundtrack! This kind of stuff always sucks ... so much wasted space, only to double the price because it's 3 discs and not 2. Idk if these things are made on purpose or a marketing strategy, but from a customer's sight this is annoying so I totally can understand you...
And once again as I said, they didn't even put enough music there to justify three discs in the first place. I still have time to cancel my order and given they keep delaying the BDII OST for some reason I might just do that....
Old Mar 27, 2021, 05:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This seems to be missing some tracks found in the data (mainly a trio of theme+boss, minor bgm, jingles and intros too). Very lame, maybe it's content for a planned 2nd season or something (they sound thematically similar to the album's trio).

Last edited by Dag; Mar 27, 2021 at 05:31 AM.