VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:47 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Masaru "Go" Shiina says Hello with a video from Cocoebiz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQWONi-ZA4Y
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:04 AM

He, Sano and Ishiwatari are probably the most hawt guys in this industry. *uho*
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor

There is an edit that changed the display name for Go Shiina. Despite this alias being used very often, as far as I know he is credited with the real name in various albums. I prefer Masaru Shiina. What would be the best choice?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Which one is his real name?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:11 AM
VGMdb Advisor

As far as I know, Masaru Shiina is the real name of the composer.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:12 AM

http://www.cocoebiz.com/report/cna/cnasan01_en.html

Quote:
K By the way, I see your name as both "Go Shiina" and "Masaru Shiina".
S I actually use "Go", because "Masaru" is rather difficult to pronounce for non-Japanese speakers.
K Your real name is "Masaru", but you use "Go" in your works.
S Yes, basically.
K It's difficult to read your name written in kanji("豪") as "Masaru" even for a Japanese, isn't it?
S I agree. I think no one else has that name with that kanji.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Very Interesting, Cedille. I think this edit can be approved. I not checked all the albums, but it seems that in the credits is the most common name in kanji (this could explain why there are so many credits as "Masaru Shiina") or simply "Go Shiina".
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:49 PM

I guess the current policy is if the discography has one album that he is credited under the real name, then we have to use it the display name. I either don't check all the albums he's involved, but is there any album where he's credited as Masaru? I think when the booklet simply says 椎名豪 and doesn't give the reading, perhaps we shouldn't read it as Masaru...
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
VGMdb Staff

I feel we should go with Masaru here, since it's his real name. He pretty much admits that he only uses 'Go' because it's a more common reading of the kanji in question. So I feel Go Shina is more of an alias than a taken name like voice actors use.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:34 AM

I certainly see your point and I'm fine with either way, but my concern is how to be consistent with other entries. If we go with Masaru Shiina, wouldn't we have to change Hiroki Kikuta to Yuuki Kikuta since Kikuta admits that he only uses 'Hiroki' because it's a less girly reading of the kanji in question? Again, I don't check all the scans yet to confirm if there is any Masaru Shiina credit, and I know my own submissions (like him) don't necessarily follow the criterion given by Blah above, so I might be overly inflexible here...

http://squarehaven.com/news/2007/06/...iles-Regained/
Quote:
Hiroki Kikuta: Until I started composing music, I used to make my living by drawing. My name during that time was 'Yuuki 26.' You see, technically my real name is Yuuki Kikuta, but people would spell my name 'Yuki' all the time. Yuki is a woman's name, and the mix-up caused lots of trouble. For instance, this one time I needed to stay at a hotel with a friend of mine, but since my name sounded female, a double bed was prepared instead of two single beds. So, I thought, I'll just have to go by 'Hiroki.'
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:53 AM

Could as well make "Go C-na" the default as I'm sure that's more common on albums in romanized form...
Old Feb 21, 2010, 08:23 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Unless I overlooked some booklet, all the albums that we have scans available credits appears 椎名豪 or Go Shiina:

Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere Direct Audio: 椎名豪
Tales of Legendia Original Soundtrack: 椎名豪 / Go Shiina
Tekken 5 & Tekken Dark Resurrection Original Soundtrack: 椎名豪
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology Original Soundtrack: Go Shiina
THE iDOLM@STER Master Artist 01 Haruka Amami: 椎名豪
THE iDOLM@STER Master Artist 05 Chihaya Kisaragi: 椎名豪
Famison 8BIT☆iDOLM@STER 02 Haruka Amami / Miki Hoshii: 椎名豪
Taiko no Tatsujin Original Soundtrack 2008: 椎名豪
Famison 8BIT☆iDOLM@STER 05 Chihaya Kisaragi / Iori Minase: 椎名豪
Tales of VS. Original Soundtrack
: 椎名豪
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 Original Soundtrack: 椎名豪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I certainly see your point and I'm fine with either way, but my concern is how to be consistent with other entries. If we go with Masaru Shiina, wouldn't we have to change Hiroki Kikuta to Yuuki Kikuta since Kikuta admits that he only uses 'Hiroki' because it's a less girly reading of the kanji in question? Again, I don't check all the scans yet to confirm if there is any Masaru Shiina credit, and I know my own submissions (like him) don't necessarily follow the criterion given by Blah above, so I might be overly inflexible here...

http://squarehaven.com/news/2007/06/...iles-Regained/
I really didn't know this history of Kikuta's name!

I agree if the artist doesn't use the actual name in his works, the display name should be the most known alias. For example, it would be strange if we create the profile of Freddie Mercury with the display name Farrokh Bulsara.

But I also think there should be exceptions. I fully agree with the Shin Hashimoto's entry. It's very annoying to link some artists with similar names, and these names are small and too common, like this sin / SIN or JUN / JUN. In fact, I did it too with Yasuhiro Taguchi.

Not that we necessarily have to follow GE-ON-DAN, but he appears as Masaru Shiina. In the end, I prefer Go Shiina, with a text saying that Masaru Shiina is the real name. But if you guys want Masaru Shiina I have no objection as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Could as well make "Go C-na" the default as I'm sure that's more common on albums in romanized form...
I had seen this name, but I couldn't confirm a work he has been credited as Go C-na. This alias could be added as a variation.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:17 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I think it has to be judged on a case-by-case basis to avoid confusion. So while in Kikuta's case it would feel strange to use his real name since 'no one' knows him as that, it's probably fine either way in this case.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 05:40 AM
Trusted Editor

Some music in the Code Vein E3 trailer. Sadly nothing in the actual gameplay footage. Guess the game is far from finished yet.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:43 AM
VGMdb Staff

He retired from Bandai Namco today after 20 years.

https://twitter.com/cnago/status/913632458096050176
Old Jun 29, 2022, 06:27 PM

harvestella's composer