VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 21, 2010, 02:14 PM

Question Your RSS feeds

Your artist RSS feeds are weird. They're basically changelogs for the individual pages themselves rather than feeds of actual content. Is there any way you guys can make an actually useful feed?

Last edited by suzumebachi; May 21, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:24 PM

To, answer Suzu's first question, as well as clarify his second:

The feeds for individual artists show the edits made to the artists' profiles. That's generally how feeds for those kind of things work with wiki software in my experience.

To clarify the second question, this feed is fine for anyone who wants to follow every edit for a specific page, and can be useful for that kind of thing. It would however be more useful, for the artists' pages specifically, if you could have a feed soley for when an album with the artist on it is posted.

Granted the existing feed kind of does that already, it also has a lot of other information on there that's less of interest to someone who just wants to follow the artists' general updates.

That is to say, if I wanted to follow Nobuo Uematsu, and be updated everytime a new album that he is posted on is added, but not everytime someone adds in his birthday/age/website links/etc.
Wardriver:ThaSauce
OverLooked ReMiX

Personal portfolio:
http://dougarley.com
Old May 21, 2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtrama View Post
It would however be more useful, for the artists' pages specifically, if you could have a feed soley for when an album with the artist on it is posted.
That would still be something of a changelog. I'm talking a feed of simply the albums themselves.
Old May 30, 2010, 01:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Actually, what kind of idea do you have in mind for the artist feed? I'm curious about what kinds of things people would want to see in an RSS feed at the artist/album level, without feeling they are swamped with new information.
Old May 31, 2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Actually, what kind of idea do you have in mind for the artist feed? I'm curious about what kinds of things people would want to see in an RSS feed at the artist/album level, without feeling they are swamped with new information.
Release date, album title, game, catalog number, maybe composer(s) and/or arranger(s) if you can fit em into the RSS description. Maybe publisher. That kinda thing. Basic info about the album. Nothing too complex
Old Jun 1, 2010, 03:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So you want that stuff to be sent on the RSS whenever there is a change to one of the fields, or just when the artist is submitted?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
So you want that stuff to be sent on the RSS whenever there is a change to one of the fields, or just when the artist is submitted?
By 'when the artist is submitted' I'm assuming you mean as a POST or GET? Then yes, when the artist is submitted. You can generate the RSS XML on the fly from all the basic details (probably with some basic caching to save server CPU). That way, rather than a changelog, you get actually pertinent info on the albums that artist is featured on, in order by the album's release date. This is what we do on R:TS and OLR, except for remixes instead of albums, though the concept is the same (here's an example).

If none of this makes any sense, I apologize as I haven't slept for... a while now.
Administrator of ThaSauce Network

Tags
artists, rss