VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:01 PM

Default Collection Suggestions Collection

Ok, so I am thinking about and brainstorming and/or noting ideas for the collection feature and am noting here for Gigablah's (or whoever else's) sake.

My first recommendation was to fieldify the quantity of album instead of just having two in the list (think shopping cart vs the way things are now).

Another idea: Haves and Wants. Perhaps vgmdb could even pair people up for trades?

Another one: Album rarity based on how many people have it (this might look a little skewed if people don't populate their lists much), or album demand based on want list.

In terms of fields for things each user could attach to their specific albums, they could specify:
- whether it's up for grabs or a keeper
- what they paid
- what they want for it (if it's up for grabs)
- whether they have the booklet, backsheet, obi, etc
- condition (disc, art)
- notes/comments field

this is all I can think of right now. but feel free to add your own recommendations or something.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMAGFest View Post
(a bunch of suggestions)
Sign me up for wanting everything you just said. I'd love to see more done with the Collections feature on this site. I'm very proud of my own collection and I'm sure a lot of you are as well. Adding more fields to it, pairing up people so they can trade, and being able to export the data to a file format of your choice, I want it all.

-Mike
Old Feb 21, 2008, 02:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

One of our original intentions for the collection concept was to make it easy to pair up want/have lists from people who were buying or selling albums, so I think that most of these suggestions are good ones. Album rarity by collection is already implemented on each album page. Of course, the problem is that some people use the collection for more than just merely listing the albums they own or want. We'd have to enforce some separation in the lists, so that there would be a default folder for real physical albums you own, another for ones you want, and a third folder for everything else. This will take some thought.

But yes, it's a great idea. Just don't get too discouraged if it doesn't get implemented quickly. We need to take a look at all of the plans we have for the site, and figure which ones are highest priority.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 02:31 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am agree that you should automatically create different folders like:
"real owned albums" "digital collection".

The buy/sell album idea is great but should only work with the real albums folder? ..
Old Feb 24, 2008, 05:04 PM

A "digital collection" idea seems good. Some people might object to posting their "digital collections" if they're on indexed pages. Not really sure if the collection pages are indexed in the first place. Some people may also want to opt out of posting specific types of collections, so I guess maybe they should just be a default folder set (perhaps renamable?) as a suggested structure, but not required?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:45 PM

Also, if we have a digital collection option, maybe we should probably have things like "I own this digitally" as a checkbox, and then options like whether it is lossless or not or what format it's in would appear, as well as the "I have the booklet / obi / etc" would apply to scans etc. the system could then notify you if new scans were uploaded and you didn't have them marked as already-in-collection.

aaaand lastly, I think digital collection browsing should probably only appear to logged-in users.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I wouldn't be very comfortable including tools that facilitate the trading of digital music. I think we need to keep VGMdb as professional as possible in how it treats the VGM industry. We've already got some composers who've visited the site.

Also, I've been thinking about how to implement some of these things without imposing a folder structure on anyone, and have been pondering the idea of allowing the user to designate one existing folder as a 'have list', and one as a 'want list'. Once designated, the user can fill out the extra fields such as price they are selling for, or price they are willing to offer. Of course, there should also be a search interface to match buyers and sellers.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:37 AM

You know, I was going to mention that, which is why I recommended the "up for grabs" checkbox.... that'd make it so you can list but not trade digital stuff and not have to be so blatant. However people want to do it works for me, I just definitely want to be able to trade physical stuff.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:34 PM

I definitely vote to stay away from the "digital collection" feature unless it's an album you legally bought on iTunes or some other similar service. I consider VGMdb very sophisticated and wouldn't wanna see it have any kind of relation to the "piracy" sites a la #gamemp3s, Galbadia Hotel, or even the VGM Central hub. I mean sure, it's a known fact that pretty much everybody in the VGM community has mp3s of albums they don't own, but it's really hard not to. For a lot of the harder to find CDs it's either download them illegally or spend hundreds of dollars on it. I think it's best that stuff be left private. As in.. our own hard drives.

-Mike
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Agreed, no tacit endorsement of illegal activity, please.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:31 PM

Ok. It seems digital collection is up in the air (if whoever codes the stuff really insists it be there maybe it can be an always-private folder type thing) so maybe let's go onto talking about physical album trading.

I'm part of a CD trading site called Lala which implements trading basically this way:
- all users have a want (wishlist?) and have (collection?) list.
- want and have lists can have as much on them as you want.
- CDs don't have to be pristine but must play without skips.
- no promos.
- lala sends prepaid shipping "lopes", sleeves to individual users.
- the CD recipient marks if it arrived / was damaged / was correct.
- the CD sender gets "karma" points accordingly.
- CD trades are 1:1 and recipient pays shipping/processing fees.
Then some equation (length of time on want list plus karma or something) determines who gets priority for wanting a CD.

Obviously this is not perfect for vgmdb but it's a good start. I'm reasonably sure vgmdb doesn't want to have anything to do with the shipping side of things (so instead of typing an envelope number and getting an address people would just have to *gasp* talk to eachother) and obviously 1:1 trades are not necessarily always fair in our world. On the other hand a "confirmation" thing on top of vgmdb facilitating the trade could be good so the karma could be screwed with and vgmdb would have a sort of "tiebreaker" value to decide who's next for a CD if we have an automatic thing to facilitate trades.

What do people think about this?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't know, that sounds pretty involved. I'd think that people would be happy just having want & have lists, and some search capability, maybe with a flag that automatically pops up when someone is selling something you want. The rest of the transaction would be up to them to decide whether and how to pursue.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 06:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've put together some thoughts on how to work this marketplace feature, so I thought I'd give you guys a chance to give some feedback on how you'd like this to work.

Buy/Sell Albums page
On top, a few tools that let you:
1. View your Sell List
2. View your Buy List
3. Search for an album in the Sell/Buy lists
4. Browse the Sell/Buy lists

The bottom of the page shows the most recent albums for sale / sought

Browse would be just like the album browse, sortable by catnum/title. However, it would also show price and Notes (see below), and be sortable by price.

Choosing albums for sale/buy
You can designate a single folder for albums for sale, and another single folder for a buylist. This solves the problem of having to standardize folders in everyone's collection. Subfolders may or may not count, but it'd be cleaner if they don't.

At any time, you can also designate "none" for your sell/buy folders, and remove all albums in them from the global Sell/Buy lists.

New Fields for the Collection database
Notes (you could use this field to state condition, whether the obi was present, etc)
Price Value
Price Type (dollars, euro, etc)
Time/Date Stamp (updated when album is placed in a sell/buy folder, or the folder it is in is activated)

For price, there are 2 alternatives
* 1 price field (which you fill according to how you are using it)
* 3 price fields (buy price, sell price, price you purchased at)
I like having 1 price field better, but some may see this differently

An album for sale with no price would just say "Negotiable"

Populating the new fields
Haven't come to a decision on how to do this. The show collection screen might be too busy.

However, for the fields to be useful beyond the Buy/Sell page, they need to be displayed.

User Profles
Should be updated to include links to Collection, Buylist, Sell-list, and maybe some other stats.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 09:11 PM

Sell and Buy lists sound good. I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to leave the "price" field in the collection as the price you paid for it. If you want additional price fields such as an asking price they should be not only a separate field, but part of the buy/sell thing. A little separation for the buy/sell lists from the collection list (and even the wishlist, which could just be a simple list similar to collection) is fine with me, as well as an excellent idea for the many reasons. Off the top of my head:

- there could be an added "action" to the collection page for "add to sell list"
- likewise, an action on the wishlist page for "add to buy list"
- if the site is modular, it gives you the ability to develop it apart from regular site stuff
- linking it in on a few interfaces helps better integration
- people will be able to separate it in their minds a little better

Last edited by MrMAGFest; Mar 3, 2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 09:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So, in general, instead of keeping a sell folder and a wishlist folder in your collection and using those folders for the marketplace activities, you'd like them to be totally separate lists. Is that generally what everyone would prefer? It's kind of the opposite of what I thought would make the most sense.

Also, just to keep things in one place, there were a couple of ideas suggested in older threads:
- Export to CSV (and maybe to Excel)
- Additional fields in the collection display, customizably chosen.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:12 PM

I think another reason the separation makes sense (along with the stuff I mentioned earlier) is that you could customize the sell/buy lists with purchase-specific information, whereas it doesn't really have a place in the collection list. for someone like me, I'm not really planning on selling anything in my collection, ever (though I might buy). So certain things that would be specifically useful -- like asking price -- for buying and selling wouldn't really have a place in the collection listing, which would still have a "price paid" (useful regardless of whether the album is being sold or not).

Sorry if I was a little confusing, I know I mentioned an "up for grabs" checkbox which would probably be negated by the "add to buy/sell list" action or whatever. Or the checkbox could still be useful in the "add to collection" page but it would be more like "also add these to my sell list".