VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
Hey guys, those shelves are not out of print - they are called Benno, and are still sold by Ikea worldwide. It's only the doors that are OOP, but there are others now that should do the same job.
I ended up buying these for my overflow (now eight racks, four doors). The issue is that holes aren't drilled all the way up the top and bottoms. And the new doors have handles in different places and attachment spots in different places... so I had to drill my own holes and live with the fact that my door handles don't match up across all doors. =/
Old Nov 2, 2015, 06:41 AM

Here's some pictures I've taken over the past week. It's been difficult because of the reflections from the jewel cases. I learned partway through that if I take the liner notes out and place them on top of the jewel case, then the reflections are reduced. I should've thought of that right away, but one of my goals was to minimize time.

Albums with deep blacks on the front cover are particularly hard to photograph, and the trick of placing the liner notes on top of the jewel case hardly has any effect. The album Policenauts F/N gave me the most trouble. I tried various backgrounds and lighting sources and just couldn't get a good photo.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 09:05 AM
Trusted Editor

Some nice stuff in your collection Jodo. That Sweet Home arrangement is very hard to come by, even more in complete condition (like your copy).
Old Nov 2, 2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Some nice stuff in your collection Jodo. That Sweet Home arrangement is very hard to come by, even more in complete condition (like your copy).
Thanks, suicider. The funny thing about the obi is that it's the deciding factor to whether an album will go for $ or $$$$$. I've seen Sweet Home without an obi sell for 5,000 yen and with obi sell for 35,000 yen. That was the only difference, so the obi is worth 30,000 yen.

Anyone want a Sweet Home obi? Just send me $300.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 09:51 AM
Trusted Editor

Yep, made the same experience. Somehow the obi seems to be the most relevant item for collectors. I've never seen this album sell for less than 10,000 Yen though even without obi.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 05:35 AM

Yesterday, I came up with an analogy:

"Alone, the obi has little value. It's like a dust cover for a rare book. The dust cover itself isn't worth much, but having it will increase the value of an old hardcover. First editions of Dune have asking prices all the way up to $22,000, for instance. Without the dust cover, that price would drop into the hundreds or less. And we all know a dust cover isn't actually worth the difference, just like an obi isn't.

Another similarity between the obi and the dust cover is they are not necessary. One can read a book without the dust cover, just as one can listen to a CD without the obi. However, they both offer information that is like a "zeitgeist" of sorts. I like looking at the ads on obis, just as I like reading the back of a dust cover, or admiring its artwork. It's just not the same item if it's missing a piece, even if that piece is not required."

I got to thinking further about it. Could the paint on a car be thought of as similar to an obi? Well, no. Paint is not required to drive a car, but it is functional - it protects against rust. There are things that are not necessary to grant an object its primary function, but may offer auxiliary functions. Paint is one such auxiliary thing, when applied to cars. But not when applied to indoor walls. In that case, we could do without paint. If you like paint on the wall, then you probably also like an obi with your album.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 01:20 PM

Hi all, my first day here

Been in love with VGM and Anime OSTs for the better part of 15 years now, mostly thanks to DC and IRC, which introduced me to a lot of music i never dreamt of (went by the nick "noir"back then, maybe some remember it, but it's a longshot).

So over the years I kept the hobby, and with worklife came the necessary influx of money to spend hobbies I am still not collecting seriously though (220 albums here on vgmdb), but i do love digging through used CD bins and Book-Offs whenever i go to Japan : that has become kind of a ritual.

The collection still doesn't have a nice showcase, I am working on that, but here are some random pictures of my stuff :

http://imgur.com/a/wc7vF

Edit : latest additions

The problem with being an impulse buyer (i usually take a tray and buy all cds i like) means that i end with a lot of doubles ... here's the result of doubles after a few years :

http://imgur.com/61ZtcOl

That's the reason i joined VGMdb today, to finally make an accurate list of stuff i have... so hopefully no more doubles or triples (yes i mean you, seiken 3 OST).

Love the database: it recognized all my vgame music, and as to my astonishment most of my anime OSTs as well. Way to go

A closely related hobby is audio quality. I don't like the name audiophile, got too negative lately. Anyway, i'm close to done with my home theater room, with some fine speakers that will blast Megaman 2 music soon. I am looking forward to seeing the nonunderstading in my visitors faces

Not yet done, but close : http://imgur.com/TqSqO8G

Edit : latest additions

Latest Additions

Last edited by sekunoir; Dec 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 09:33 AM

Several members here have collections with thousands of albums. I'd love to see pics of one of those collections!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 03:39 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrolack View Post
Several members here have collections with thousands of albums. I'd love to see pics of one of those collections!
Are you naive or something? *rolleyes*
Old Sep 3, 2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Are you naive or something? *rolleyes*
He's not necessarily, no. While a vast majority might catalog their digital grabs, a couple could be legit.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:05 AM
Trusted Editor

Highest on the largest collection that I do believe having the amount of albums on his or her list is dancey. But yeah, I'm almost positive that everyone with 1000+ albums do have mp3 collections listed or stuff listed that they've sold away already.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 01:25 PM

Here are some pictures of mine. The first picture is the entire collection, stored in plastic bins. The next pictures show some of the more interesting albums (obi up). I didn't bother photographing any doujins, since most people don't care about those

As for what I like to collect: mostly I'm interested in the systems I grew up playing, which for me is NES, SNES, Genesis and N64. Basically any soundtrack from those systems, either OST or arranged, is something I might look for.

I also really like old Final Fantasy games, up to FF X. For albums from those games, I'll look for both original pressings as well as reprints. In addition, I'm also interested in any doujin albums from those games. All in, I have a few hundred doujins (both FF and non-FF).

Organizationally, I like keeping albums with similar obis together. This makes it all look nice (IMO), as well as helping me determine whether an obi is faded (i.e. by having it next to similar, non-faded obis). For example, it's clear that some of the COCA obis are faded, as the red background behind the price is more washed out than on the other COCA obis.

One day, when my collection is more complete and I have more time, I'll photograph some of these from the front. Also for reference, my collection page is here:

http://vgmdb.net/db/collection.php?do=view&userid=18272

Last edited by Rrolack; Oct 22, 2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 03:04 PM

Amazing condition Rrolack, pretty hardcore also having the same albums in both their original prints and reissued forms.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 05:03 AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.jpg (146.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0005.jpg (152.1 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by caiol92; Feb 17, 2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 02:10 AM

I have nothing special, mainly VGM and dust.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwcen8wwj4..._2905.JPG?dl=0
Old Mar 23, 2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Here are some pictures of mine. The first picture is the entire collection, stored in plastic bins. The next pictures show some of the more interesting albums (obi up). I didn't bother photographing any doujins, since most people don't care about those

As for what I like to collect: mostly I'm interested in the systems I grew up playing, which for me is NES, SNES, Genesis and N64. Basically any soundtrack from those systems, either OST or arranged, is something I might look for.

I also really like old Final Fantasy games, up to FF X. For albums from those games, I'll look for both original pressings as well as reprints. In addition, I'm also interested in any doujin albums from those games. All in, I have a few hundred doujins (both FF and non-FF).

Organizationally, I like keeping albums with similar obis together. This makes it all look nice (IMO), as well as helping me determine whether an obi is faded (i.e. by having it next to similar, non-faded obis). For example, it's clear that some of the COCA obis are faded, as the red background behind the price is more washed out than on the other COCA obis.

One day, when my collection is more complete and I have more time, I'll photograph some of these from the front. Also for reference, my collection page is here:

http://vgmdb.net/db/collection.php?do=view&userid=18272

I see quite a few of my "ol' bad boys" in those pictures. Glad they went to a good home!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 04:50 PM

I eventually upgraded my CD storage from plastic bins to metal cabinets with big drawers. This helps keep my VGM better organized.

Here is one of the drawers as an example:

The cabinets are from this place:

http://www.can-am.ca/

Last edited by Rrolack; Oct 29, 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 01:46 PM

Some more pictures of my collection below, with albums face-up this time.

https://imgur.com/a/0b0Ng
Old Feb 4, 2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:

I recognize some of those albums The pic of 3D Hot Rally is my favorite, as that is one album I was never able to find for something less than a huge pile of money, but always wanted.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
I recognize some of those albums The pic of 3D Hot Rally is my favorite, as that is one album I was never able to find for something less than a huge pile of money, but always wanted.
I especially like the 3D Hot Rally album because the obi is a bright color which doesn't match the booklet at all. Kind of like a loud pair of socks.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 06:48 AM

Rrolack, don't you love those albums with a "DERP" catalog number? Makes me laugh every time.

Not really collection pics, but this is my latest purchase, all bought together. Only Virtua Racing/OutRunners has the obi, and I noticed it has rounded corners. First time I see this. Also, it's just a tiny bit too tall to fit inside the case, that is extremly annoying... like those larger PS1 cases that hold two games -- those WON'T hold the obi inside, I hate them.

Oh and yeah, F/A System is a sample and I like samples, and I like F/A System. I'm glad it has a soundtrack because the annoying shot SFX in the game ruin it completely, especially if you play with the plane that shoots lasers. My theory is that they did it in purpose so you had to buy the soundtrack to enjoy the music.

Old Sep 25, 2018, 06:23 AM

I've been casually collecting for maybe three years now, and I think I'm finally at the point where I can consider my collection 'complete'. I say 'complete' because there's still one or two I'd like to get my hands on but can't (I can't find that blasted Sonic Rush soundtrack anywhere), and there are some I might get in the future, like Octopath Traveler's, that I'm just not interested in getting at the moment because I haven't played the game the music is from yet. Anywho, here's a crappy attempt at snapping a picture or two of the entire collection, and I'll break it down from there. Apologies in advance for poor lighting/etc. It's a gloomy day, so lighting isn't ideal, and photography isn't my strong suit.

I'm surprised none of those CDs fell off my dresser while I was taking those pictures. You can probably see I'm not the type to keep the wrapping and whatnot on my CDs. I like listening to them in the car on my way to and from work. Breaking my collection down, we'll start with what I'll just call the 'tie-in' CDs that came as a bonus with games and such:

I used to have the Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 tie-in CD as well, but I got rid of it after I bought the actual soundtrack (as you'll see later). Next we have some random CDs that don't really fit into any particular group:

I decided to go with two and two for the next picture and pair the two Falcom soundtracks I own with the two Jet Set Radio soundtracks:

Some visual novel soundtracks next. The Dies Irae one on the left and the Clannad one on the right were from their respective Kickstarters. The Fata Morgana ones I bought specially:

I felt bad about this once I realized it, but I forgot to include the Subarashiki Hibi/Wonderful Everyday soundtrack with the other visual novel soundtracks. I decided to stick Undertale's soundtrack in a picture with it to give it some heartwarming company:

Keeping in with the visual novel theme, here are my Umineko soundtracks. One or two of these were a total pain to find. Took me a year of searching to find the one. Definitely some of the most valued pieces of my collection:

Atlus CDs up next. Used to have the tie-in CD that came with Persona 4 but I sold it. Kind of regret it, but I feel happy enough owning Persona 5's soundtrack:

I love Splatoon's music, so it was unthinkable for me not to get every CD (save for the first live CD, which I can live without):

The Octotune limited edition packaging disassembled:

Sonic music was a huge part of my childhood and it's still a huge part of my life today. Sonic's always had some of the best jams ever made in my book. So happy to own most (keyword most) of the best music from the series. The 1+2/CD/Mania soundtrack cover almost all of the best music from the originals, and Generations picks up the slack as far as more modern Sonics are concerned. My only regret is that Marble Garden Zone and Launch Base Zone aren't on any Sonic CD:

Moving into the final leg of the collection, we have all my Square-Enix CDs. First is a smattering of some standalone ones. Sigma Harmonics is what I'd consider the best Square-Enix soundtrack no one's heard, and the rest speak for themselves:

FFXIV has some of the best music in any game ever. There I said it. Every boss theme in the game is a banger, and there's so much variety. It's rather telling when I know the lyrics to every single song on these CDs and sing along to them on the regular:

And finally, gotta end it out with my main men Keiichi Okabe and Keigo Hoashi, the Drakengard/NieR power duo. Don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said about these soundtracks. Absolutely stunning all across the board. Also, Drakengard 3 has the only song that's ever made me burst into tears, so props for that:

The orchestral box set unboxed:

That was a fun trip through my collection! Here's to many years of fantastic VGM and many more to come!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Nice pieces!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 05:56 PM

This is not my collection, but some good pictures here:

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/supergamefrea...711c64bc2881a6
Old Aug 12, 2019, 07:01 PM

Finally got them all, with spinecard and inserts, but some reg cards not included

the 1992 cover always makes me think there's Star Fox in it... lol
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:13 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Finally got them all, with spinecard and inserts, but some reg cards not included

the 1992 cover always makes me think there's Star Fox in it... lol
Great! 1990 was my first Game Music CD. I'm still missing 1992 but these are all not extremely rare so I'll get it eventually

Are you a completionist yourself? I'm always after complete copies with hagaki, obi and other bonus stuff. Still, there is no purpose behind it but it makes 'the hunt' more exciting ^^
Old Sep 19, 2019, 06:48 AM

I can live with no reg cards but no spine is hard to accept, unless the price is good enough or unless its an album thats really scarce, or an album i really want for the music. Other bonus thingies it depends how meaningful they are...

Last trip to Kyoto I saw a used same same same with no spine and no reg card and no sticker, but it was below 2000 yen and i really like the music so i bought it

Whats your favourite album in your collection? Not necessarily the most expensive
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:28 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Last trip to Kyoto I saw a used same same same with no spine and no reg card and no sticker, but it was below 2000 yen and i really like the music so i bought it
That was a really fair price then, even without the obi. Great music btw, Toaplan forever!

Quote:
Whats your favourite album in your collection? Not necessarily the most expensive
Wow, that's a really tough question, so many good ones...
However, I'll stick with my Ninja Warriors Taito G.S.M. 1 LP which comprises several factors in one disc: awesome music, great packaging, rarity and childhood memories (NW was the first arcade game I can remember and I just love it). And it's the very first Scitron record too which makes it quite special. My copy is complete of course

And yours is?

Last edited by suicider; Sep 19, 2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 03:16 AM

Nice one the cover is disco cheesy. To be fair ninja warriors has daddy mulk but its the only song that i find memorable

Not that im a taito expert though

Mine i have no idea but maybe Akumajo Dracula Famicom Best, because of the music and because its one of those albums im still dreaming to find a factory sealed copy of... Also because famicom best and best 2 go super nice together with their yellow and pink spinecards

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Sep 21, 2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:47 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Not that im a taito expert though
Says the one with the Chase H.Q. avatar

Quote:
Mine i have no idea but maybe Akumajo Dracula Famicom Best, because of the music and because its one of those albums im still dreaming to find a factory sealed copy of... Also because famicom best and best 2 go super nice together with their yellow and pink spinecards
Ok, never been into Konami music that much. But of course Castlevania is a classic hands down.