VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 7, 2012, 07:35 AM

Default Quick question about redbook music on the actual game CD

Hey, guys. I've got a really old Macintosh game CD (Cosmic Osmo) that includes, and plays its background music from, Red Book tracks on the same CD as the game, itself. If memory serves, the old help documentation mentioned that you could pop the CD into a CD player to listen to the music, which you can. My question is whether or not it is eligible to be included as an album in the database?

When inspected by iTunes, it was able to come up with metadata for the tracks and everything. What I don'e know is the barcode and catalog number, since all I have left is the CD, not the packaging. What do you think?
Old May 7, 2012, 07:57 AM

I think it was decided in the past to not allow entries consisting of Redbook data on a game disc.
Old May 7, 2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
I think it was decided in the past to not allow entries consisting of Redbook data on a game disc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Plus, once we start linking media to products, we'll finally be able to catalogue redbook audio.
I'd say they're not allowed for the time being, though I don't really see a point in doing it, most tracks aren't even tagged. Perhaps something like "Stuff the person worked on includes: ..." could be enough.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; May 7, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:04 AM

Ok, that works. I won't bother with it then. Thanks!
Old May 7, 2012, 10:56 AM

That kinda sucks. I remember buying a Sly Fox game that didn't use redbook audio at all. Instead it told you "Put the CD in your music player to listen to some awesome tunes!" and it had a bunch of spy-themed cover songs, with full credits and all.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:08 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread to ignite debate again on redbook media - don't you think it's finally come the time to allow it in the database?

I'm sure it would spark quite a burst of new useful info - cd tracks and liner notes may be found somewhere in the internet, but with redbook audio for games, a good source of info is missing and this database would do an amazing job to cover it. Just think to all those never-released, obscure soundtracks that won't be published ever again and are already available in cd quality...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:56 PM

Maybe it could be like a list or something separate from the database entry format, but still accessible that everyone could add to and comment on etc.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:41 PM

We could just add PSone, PCEDUO, AmigaCD32 and other games on optical disc by simply adding a field like "redbook content" to "media format". it doesn't require many adjustments other than that.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:21 PM

I see your point but it wouldn't be considered a soundtrack. Would it? To me its practically game files...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:46 PM

Those are my thoughts as well. We'd essentially just be adding video games as entries to the database. Then we might as well add any soundtrack that has streamed music because, like a DVD, you can extract it from the disc, and we add DVDs to the database, right?

...yeah, it's not a *music CD release*, it's a game.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:39 PM

There's a huge difference, as you can listen to redbook music with a CD player. You can't listen to streaming audio without specialized tools.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
There's a huge difference, as you can listen to redbook music with a CD player. You can't listen to streaming audio without specialized tools.
Even so, just because its capable doesn't mean its okay. It'd be like 'sticking it' in other places. Sure you have the option to but it doesn't mean its 'correct' and/or 'conforms' to the original purpose.

Take the Sonic CD for example, questionable soundtrack to some. As much it sounds 'mastered' its still not a suitable candidate for an entry in the DB. Its official work, just not released 'officially'. So... no
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:20 PM

I don't so much understand this "redbook audio" distinction we're making. "Redbook audio" describes any audio that is burned to CD to be played in a CD player. Any soundtrack CD you buy is in "redbook audio" format, not just games with music tracks on them. The format isn't so odd that it would be a large stretch to add it to the database.

I think that just because it isn't "considered a soundtrack" doesn't mean it isn't pertinent to the database, we have a lot of non-soundtracks here. And in a way it sort of is a soundtrack because it's the game's music existing on a CD in a format that can be played on CD players. That's just about the definition of a soundtrack CD, except that it's just not an official soundtrack release. It is an official release though, and I don't think that should affect its relevance to VGMdb. EDIT: Neo_Chip, you mentioned "Its official work, just not released 'officially'." I'm not sure how that example fits here, because what we're talking about adding is released officially. So, that's not really an issue in this case.

Sure, you can look at it as basically "adding a game" to the database, but it's not without good reason. I think that collectors of VGM that want to buy VGM to listen to on a CD could appreciate these entries and would maybe even buy the game to have access to its music on a CD. It only exposes us to more music. Games with redbook audio tracks on them sound like worthy additions to the database, as someone that wants to know more about available VGM out there, I think more information like that is good.

Last edited by Mortavia; Oct 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:36 PM

Even if it did get accepted, can you imagine the amount of more incompleted entries? Most of these don't even have tracklists. Are you going to guess track names?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:42 PM

But that's something that hasn't stopped us from submitting CDs to the database, nor should it.
http://vgmdb.net/search?do=results&id=150417
These are CDs that don't have tracklists, so they contain names "Track01" "Track02" etc (well, pretty much all of them in that list). This isn't unprecedented and adding games with redbook tracks wouldn't break any sort of code that keeps us from cataloging these types of CDs. When a CD doesn't have a tracklist, it just doesn't have a tracklist. There's nothing you can really do about it except submit a generic "blank" tracklist. If we didn't want to submit CDs based on this, we'd have to also exclude official soundtrack CD releases, which wouldn't be good.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:57 PM

:Shutdowned:

Still don't think its a good idea, I can't limit what VGMdb can catalogue as it has introduced more entries in different areas, if it happens it happens.

I'd hate to see 'Jump Start' Sing-Alongs appear here in the DB but its 'official' soundtracks to some people just because its 'redbook audio'...

Last edited by ᄐv๑–X²; Oct 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added Smilie and spacing
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:23 PM

Ahah, well, maybe more people will agree with you than with people that want to include them. You could argue "they're not official music releases" and I guess if that's our requirement then that would be that, right? It's true, they aren't "real" music releases. My only main point is that I think that's not our only requirement for material here, we catalog "the music of visual arts and games" not just the soundtracks of visual arts and games.

Of course yeah, it opens doors to an influx of things that might not be "so desirable", like these JumpStart Sing-Alongs... apparently JumpStart's products have redbook tracks on the CDs or something? (I don't even know how you know this!) Sure, it would be really annoying to see a whole slew of that stuff pop up in here, I agree. I also think it's annoying to have so many Touhou doujin CDs in the database, I mean there can't be nearly as many JumpStart CDs and we don't even have all the Touhou releases up to now, we're still finding new ones from C78 or insert date here. But technically they're legitimate CDs... and then ultimately, I think, well, people who like those CDs and want to find them in a game music database should be able to, it's not just about what I like or dislike. If I told them that they could no longer list Touhou stuff here because a number of people including myself thought it was annoying, it would be kind of selfish. So yeah, it could open up some stuff I'd really not care about, but it could also bring some good stuff to the database and more importantly, stuff that maybe belongs here.

Of course who knows, we may decide not to do it anyway.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:34 AM

I think since such CDs often don't come with tracklists and mix different kind of tracks (data, audio, the latter with the distinction between music, voice, voice with music, sound fx etc.) a special site which allows easy collecting information per track (i.e. if it's listenable as music or is just data, voice or sfx; use cases of the track which one could base a custom track title on etc.) might be preferable. The way tracklists are handled here doesn't really lend to the above use case.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:36 AM

I do like an idea of bringing some new features to the site, but I echo Hellacia's concern. We've actually been asked to cover every game release to make a composer discography completed and once we allow CD-DA (I know there is one or two entries of game discs that were actually labeled as soundtracks), then we'll be surely asked to allow pretty much every other format (even sequenced music), and that ultimately makes us become a VG database that's cover all the video games ever released. While it sounds incredible, I can't even fathom how much labor is needed to maintain such a thing.

For what it may be worth, if any of you really want to convince our site admins who would make a final decision to allow game discs, I think the possible best way is to tell them that there are some active and passionate submitters who own tons of game discs themselves and are willing to maintain the quality of submissions throughout. VGMdb is a participative project and everyone on the Internet can participate, but some of the most time consuming works is often left to the very limited members where I also sadly dropped out from. Although this is, of course my personal opinion, not a representative view of VGMdb.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Those are my thoughts as well. We'd essentially just be adding video games as entries to the database. Then we might as well add any soundtrack that has streamed music because, like a DVD, you can extract it from the disc, and we add DVDs to the database, right?

...yeah, it's not a *music CD release*, it's a game.
I'm still miffed I was told that I couldn't add my Fitty Cent DVD to the site. :P
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:08 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
While it sounds incredible, I can't even fathom how much labor is needed to maintain such a thing.
Luckily, we have the community here to someday accomplish it.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Luckily, we have the community here to someday accomplish it.
The current community is swamped with covering game and anime music (especially the moderation side), so without massive inflow of active people specializing in the area, I don't expect we have a room for further coverage.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:31 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
The current community is swamped with covering game and anime music (especially the moderation side), so without massive inflow of active people specializing in the area, I don't expect we have a room for further coverage.
yea that's true.