VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:48 AM
Trusted Editor

Side note, this would also be an issue with DTITLE (Disc title) but since you always return artists for a disc, we probably don't see it. DTITLE is probably returned as "Nobuo Uematsu / blah / blah" since we have disc artists but we do not have individual artists. I assume if you freedb something with no artists it would come back as " / blah / blah", just like above example.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
Trusted Editor

Using Blah's test example links I pulled up a CD that I own that would have this issue:

http://vgmdb.net/cddb/en?cmd=cddb+re...o=TEST&proto=1

I'll have to confirm by pulling it up in EAC if the tracks get split improperly. Will let you know when I get home.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
Trusted Editor

I had no problem pulling Chocobo album in EAC

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40726643/sqex-10134.png
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:20 PM

Newer versions of EAC include a freedb plugin in addition to a native freedb engine. Not sure why. The plugin has the problem I described, the native freedb engine doesn't seem to have it.

Probably a software issue, though a server side workaround might be welcome, I'm guessing there's more freedb software that gets confused by this.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:15 AM

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I thought this would be the best place to ask.

If I want to grab literal English, or English (itunes) for albums that have it, how do I go about this in the freedb settings?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:34 PM

Note: This and other news since March is not showing up on front page.

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!

Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:20 AM

I'm really sorry for reviveing this thread, but I've just registered to post here. Heya!
My MP3tag VGMdb script just pulls both the English and Japanese tags for the same album and I have to manually sort out which one I want and sometimes the 日本語 titles are just some half-width katakana with some gibberish symbols.
So I wanted to tag my music with the foobar freedb tagger, but no luck.
I have even tried using these settings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcahest View Post
Hmm try:
Server: vgmdb.net
Port: 80
Address: /cddb or just cddb

Any luck?
When I click retrieve on the settings I get "An error occured while trying to retrieve a server list from vgmdb.net.
DNS error: could not resolve "vgmdb.netcddb"

Can anyone help me?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:37 AM

I'm having problems with the Pokemon Black and White Soundtrack. http://vgmdb.net/album/20831
It has three languages: English, English (Localization), and Japanese.
When accessing it via freedb, it returns the English language tracklist at http://vgmdb.net:80/cddb/ja-Latn, http://vgmdb.net:80/cddb/en, and http://vgmdb.net:80/cddb. It won't return the 'English (Localization)' tracklist at all
http://vgmdb.net/cddb/en?cmd=cddb+re...23812+be08c212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silgrond View Post
I'm really sorry for reviveing this thread, but I've just registered to post here. Heya!
My MP3tag VGMdb script just pulls both the English and Japanese tags for the same album and I have to manually sort out which one I want and sometimes the 日本語 titles are just some half-width katakana with some gibberish symbols.
So I wanted to tag my music with the foobar freedb tagger, but no luck.
I have even tried using these settings:

When I click retrieve on the settings I get "An error occured while trying to retrieve a server list from vgmdb.net.
DNS error: could not resolve "vgmdb.netcddb"

Can anyone help me?
Use /~cddb/en for the path in Mp3tag
Old May 22, 2013, 08:31 AM

I'm really confused about how to get Windows media player and iTunes to access vgmdb. Some cd's get no info when I put them in windows, and then some get nothing on iTunes. If someone could send me a message for help. Please and thank you.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 08:09 PM

Sorry for necroing this thread, but... is there any way to use EAC like MP3tag? As in, copy and paste my audio files from my computer on EAC and allow the software to re-tag my files?

MP3tag is great, but I don't want my audio files to be named in English and instead in its original language. Also, the cover art only shows a maximum size of 250x250.

Any help?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:27 PM
Trusted Editor

You can also get the Japanese tags in MP3tag, if that's what you want.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
You can also get the Japanese tags in MP3tag, if that's what you want.
Actually, can I have the romaji tags instead? Also, can you recomend me any other tagging software other than MP3Tag that automatically grabs information from VGMdb without manually doing so in MP3Tag?

I can't figure out how to copy and paste my digital music collection onto EAC and auto tag it.

Last edited by Fubuki; Feb 27, 2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 08:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

For Romaji, you'd use http://vgmdb.net:80/cddb/ja-Latn as the CDDB server to grab titles from via EAC.

Last edited by Nisto; Feb 27, 2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 09:09 PM

I still don't understand how to use this feature.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 09:41 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It's not that complicated. You enter the freedb link under EAC -> Metadata Options -> freedb.

Then, when you have a CD (which is present in the VGMdb database) in the drive and EAC recognizes the audio tracks, you go to Database -> Get CD Information From -> Remote Metadata Provider, with your appropriate VGMdb freedb database specified in the options.

Last edited by Nisto; Feb 27, 2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:04 PM

But here's the problem, kind sir. All my music is already on my computer in either .MP3 or .FLAC. I want to load it onto EAC and re-tag it. Is that possible? Can't find a way to do so and I can't seem to get MP3tag to tag my music in romaji (I can, but it's extremely time consuming.) If anyone has the brains to re-configure the .src for MP3tag, that'd be great... and I would like the software to grab artwork bigger than 250x250.

If that's not possible, any other tagging software out there that are similar to EAC's settings?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubuki View Post
If anyone has the brains to re-configure the .src for MP3tag, that'd be great... and I would like the software to grab artwork bigger than 250x250.
I may be wrong since I never used MP3tag, but I think the VGMdb script is limited to the artwork you can grab as an unregistered user, so you can't get a bigger one with it.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh, well, you asked about EAC, so I figured what you really wanted was a solution within EAC...

If you don't need to have all the covers stored into your tags (which quite frankly is a dumb idea, because you'd probably be adding several megabytes to every audio file), someone wrote a script which is capable of downloading full-size covers, which can be downloaded here.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
Oh, well, you asked about EAC, so I figured what you really wanted was a solution within EAC...

If you don't need to have all the covers stored into your tags (which quite frankly is a dumb idea, because you'd probably be adding several megabytes to every audio file), someone wrote a script which is capable of downloading full-size covers, which can be downloaded here.
Sorry, I don't understand how that script can be used with MP3Tag.

A solution for EAC is well appreciated. That's what I was trying to say in the past few posts.

Again, I would like to understand how I can manually drag and drop my music that is already on my computer, and re-tag my music? I don't have them on a CD.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 02:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand how that script can be used with MP3Tag.
I wasn't suggesting using it with Mp3tag, which is why I asserted that,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto
If you don't need to have all the covers stored into your tags
you can store the covers statically (not within your audio files). The script I linked to is a Python script which requires the Python interpreter in order to "run" it - it cannot be used in conjunction with Mp3tag in any way (as far as I know). The script stores the covers "as is" (i.e. not within a file), hence the remark above.

Quote:
A solution for EAC is well appreciated. That's what I was trying to say in the past few posts.

Again, I would like to understand how I can manually drag and drop my music that is already on my computer, and re-tag my music? I don't have them on a CD.
EAC has no internal support for non-WAV formats. Nor do I think there is any way to simply "import" files from a hard drive into EAC - the source needs to be an optical drive with a CDDA disc. If you really, really wanted to do this from EAC specifically; for it to even read tracks from your hard drive, you'd be required to emulate an optical drive and mount your tracks to it somehow (e.g. a cue sheet, which you would probably have to create for each album). And since it only supports CDDA, you're likely going to have to decode all your tracks before mounting anything, which would take a long time by itself (not to mention you're transcoding lossy to lossless in the case of the MP3 rips). Lastly, in order to "re-tag" the tracks, you have to re-rip them (because for one, you likely don't want WAV files (tag with external encoder) and secondly, I'm not even sure EAC supports writing WAV metadata).

Summary:
1. No internal support for non-WAV formats, so you're likely going to have to decode most of your tracks to WAV
2. You'd have to somehow mount the tracks to an emulated drive for each album in order to "import" them to EAC
3. To re-tag, you actually would have to re-rip

So it would take a VERY long time anyway.

And again, I cannot stress enough how bad of a decision it is to store multiple pictures in each audio file of one album, no matter how many zettabytes of HDD capacity one has (I hope you're not doing that).

Last edited by Nisto; Mar 2, 2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 04:14 AM
VGMdb Staff

I just have a subfolder "scans" or similar with all the images in it, most folks do it like that anyways. It is indeed not so good to store all the images in audio files themselves. Imagine you got 20 MB of scans (could be much less but could be more too) and 20 mp3 files. You'll be adding 400 MB. You hardly want to do that. You don't even need to have any embedded image, it's technically enough to have one image named folder.jpg or cover.jpg/png within the album folder and player should pick it up.

Anyhow, mp3tag script by dano works well but the problem is with the program itself, in order to get romaji you would like (and assuming there is an eng tracklist), you need to move down all the tracks a specific number of places depending on the album which wouldn't be hard if mp3tag had an indicator how many lines you are or should be moving.

One thing you could try is converting text files to tag. Let's say you easily copied and saved to text file romaji tracklist from somewhere in a format like:

03 Eien no Miyako
04 Koto
05 Mienai Kizuna

which corresponds to "%track% %title%" string,
open up mp3tag, select all files, Convert -> Text File - Tag, locate your saved text file, check the string format e.g.

hit the preview and if it looks fine, select OK.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Hmm try:
Server: vgmdb.net
Port: 80
Address: /cddb or just cddb

Any luck?
Thanks for this. It finally worked!

I was wondering though, with collaboration albums will all artists always appear together on the artist line? For example, for every single track in the Bayonetta Original Soundtrack this humongous list is in my artist category for every single track:

Quote:
Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Masami Ueda, Rei Kondoh, Norihiko Hibino, Hiro, Erina Niwa, Takayasu Sodeoka, Takahiro Izutani, Yoshitaka Suzuki, Naoto Tanaka, Mitsuharu Fukuyama, Bart Howard, Franz Peter Schubert, Ludwig van Beethoven, Frédéric François Chopin, Wolfg
Instead of let's say:
Track 1-01 - Hiroshi Yamaguchi
Track 2-03 - Masami Ueda
and so on.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
Am I doing something wrong?
No you're good, it's the way it currently works.
VGMdb doesn't have the composer breakdown per track currently.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:01 PM
Trusted Editor

Yeah, you have to manually fix that by getting the info from the notes section, which normally has a breakdown, if it's available.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:03 AM

This only works with EAC?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
No you're good, it's the way it currently works.
VGMdb doesn't have the composer breakdown per track currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Yeah, you have to manually fix that by getting the info from the notes section, which normally has a breakdown, if it's available.
That blows. Oh well, still much better than having to do all by myself. Hope it can be implemented in the future? Perhaps leaving the humongous list as the album artist (or) various artists and then including the composer breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalgenius12 View Post
This only works with EAC?
I'm using foorbar2000 with the settings I quoted.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:40 PM

That would be an easy fix.

I actually do that in the personal version I use locally to tag my collection. It's been a long while since this was built. The plan was for the next version to include this feature once the database was migrated to a track based schema, in contrast to the current album/release based one, but it just never happened.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 01:32 AM
VGMdb Advisor

No way to connect from Tag&Rename anymore. Am I doing something wrong or is this down ?

edit: nvm it was me. Reinstalled and forgot I had to remove the HTTP:// part of the address in T&R ... ^^;

Last edited by niki; Aug 23, 2015 at 01:37 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 03:19 AM

Wow I did the exact same thing and I was wondering what was wrong.

It's nice to see you're still around, niki.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:17 AM
Trusted Editor

Is there a way to pull other tracklists besides EN (English), JP (Japanese) and JP-Latn (Romaji)? For example, "English (Localized)" when English is set to default? I could flip the default bit and freedb query and then flip it back but I don't think that's really a good idea.

If there is not currently a way, is it possible that you can code a numerical index? Like the following:

http://vgmdb.net:80/cddb/1 -- Default tracklist
http://vgmdb.net:80/cddb/2 -- second tracklist
http://vgmdb.net:80/cddb/3 -- third tracklist
http://vgmdb.net:80/cddb/4 -- fourth tracklist

I think you would only need up to 4 and that would let a user query any tracklist even if it doesn't have an associated tag (EN, JP or JP-Latn) and you wouldn't have to make up tags for every variation of tracklist titles that exist.