VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 15, 2015, 09:09 PM
VGMdb Staff

Oops. It looks like we were editing at the same time Illidan.

haha
Old Sep 15, 2015, 09:10 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Whoops. Well, we wrote the same thing anyway :P

Last edited by Illidan; Sep 15, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 09:57 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I hit my wall, gotta go to sleep. Tomorrow AM, will try to do full packaging scans for this one.

EDIT -- meanwhile, if anyone wants to do an English tracklist, please do. Doesn't look like a challenging one. If no one gets to it in 24h I'll give it a go.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
... If no one gets to it in 24h I'll give it a go.
good luck =)
in game, 失われた地 = Lost Ground and アルタメノス = Altermenos (without 帝国, I omitted it in my personal translation)
wiki has Triple Deity for 三相一体の神 tho

Last edited by Phonograph; Nov 5, 2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: forgot an l in triple
Old Nov 5, 2015, 05:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor

That makes things easier. Thanks for those!
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:07 AM
VGMdb Advisor

OKAY! First attempt at English tracklist, complete! Here are some problem spots where I could use some help:

1-11 時代を継ぐもの I have rendered "Successors to That Era." Google Translate rendered it more literally (to the grammar/sentence structure) "Those Who Succeed to That Era." The dynamic translator in me looks at what they're trying to say ... and if it makes sense in the game, I kinda just want to render this whole phrase "The Next Generation." Right? Is this anything like SaGa Frontier II, where you jump down a timeline to "the next generation" of heroes? Or is the concept of "succession" more literal, with a kingdom and whatnot?

2-14 闇を超えた先 I have rendered "Once Beyond the Darkness." That "Once" is a little vague, I know ... the most clear wording would be to use "Previously" instead of "Once," since "Once" could be interpreted like "okay, NOW THAT WE are beyond the darkness," whereas I think this track is referring to some force that used to BE beyond the darkness, and has now crossed a threshold of some kind. Could REALLY use help with this one...

2-15 紡がれし時代 ... I just gave up and went romaji on everything except the Era kanji. "Tsumugareshi Era" is how it reads right now. As best as I can understand it, "Tsumu" kanji means to spin (as in spinning or thread used for weaving), and the "gare" hiragana inflects the verb into a past/passive, so we'd move from "Spin" to "Spun." But then "shi"? No idea what to do with that. I've never seen "gareshi" thrown together as one giant verb modifier. Anyone know what to do about it?

2-16 ~ 2-19 -- can someone confirm that our hero boy victory song is about someone named "Robin"? Is there any indication on any of S-E's materials that that's how they romanize this character's name? It could be "Robyn" or something silly like "Lobin." Would just like a check on this one. Also, hope everyone is alright with Izayuke = "Let's Go!" I know that Ikoze! is the more common phrase for that translation. But it's a generic shout/cheer to pump up your hero figure in anime, I think it all basically comes down to "All Right let's do this here thing woo!" So I think "Let's Go!" is as good as anything...

(EDIT -- also, yes, the scans will come. The tracklist in-book matches almost perfectly with what S-E's website has. Only noticeable difference was the dashes around "Instrumental" don't have spaces around them in the booklet, and they're the long "em" dashes, like a connected double-dash. That's a VERY minor technicality)

Last edited by Ramza; Nov 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:

2-15 紡がれし時代 ... I just gave up and went romaji on everything except the Era kanji. "Tsumugareshi Era" is how it reads right now. As best as I can understand it, "Tsumu" kanji means to spin (as in spinning or thread used for weaving), and the "gare" hiragana inflects the verb into a past/passive, so we'd move from "Spin" to "Spun." But then "shi"? No idea what to do with that. I've never seen "gareshi" thrown together as one giant verb modifier. Anyone know what to do about it?
tsumugareshi is classical past form, in that case for the verb tsumugu

Quote:
2-16 ~ 2-19 -- can someone confirm that our hero boy victory song is about someone named "Robin"? Is there any indication on any of S-E's materials that that's how they romanize this character's name? It could be "Robyn" or something silly like "Lobin." Would just like a check on this one. Also, hope everyone is alright with Izayuke = "Let's Go!" I know that Ikoze! is the more common phrase for that translation. But it's a generic shout/cheer to pump up your hero figure in anime, I think it all basically comes down to "All Right let's do this here thing woo!" So I think "Let's Go!" is as good as anything...

iirc, there is an R on his "zorro" bandana
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:17 AM
VGMdb Advisor

So how would you render Tsumugareshi, then? I really want to just say something like "The Woven Era" but I know weaving and spinning are two very different things, and I just think "The Spun Era" sounds weird...
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:26 AM

woven era won't be incorrect if it makes sense in english
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
woven era won't be incorrect if it makes sense in english
That's where I recognize it!

Tsumugareshi is in that Suikoden PSP title that never got localized. Most fans translated that subtitle as "Web of the Woven Century" or something like that.

Okay, yeah. I'm going with Woven Era. Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 05:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

tracklist EDIT -- I also just remembered that one song from this OST (1-07) was arranged on the ReBirth "Ren" album, and the English iTunes tracklisting gave that song title the rendering of "Sound the Charge!" Which is kind of different from "Full Army Attack!" -- but in the context of having a full army standing with you ready to charge, I suppose it all works.

Maybe, if I'm lucky, this game will actually get localized. And then maybe it'll go up on iTunes and my attempt at a translation will have been for very temporary uses.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 07:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

triiipppple-post! (waiting for a c-c-c-combo breaker!)

I just uploaded full packaging scans.

On Obi (Reverse) there's an alphanumeric code. I censor-barred it in the upload. But it's to redeem ... something. The "Card" scan is an advertisement that it explains *what* it redeems and how to do go about doing it.

But without having text-copy-pasta powers with that card, I have no idea what it's advertising. Is it more music, or is it (more likely) some in-game bonus thing?

If the latter, I'm happy to give my code to anyone who is playing the Japanese game. (it's web-based right?)
Old Nov 7, 2015, 03:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

In-game Robin character.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 07:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
In-game Robin character.
Aha, good to know!

Well ... is anyone playing Imperial SaGa, 'cause they know Japanese or they're crazy and are playing it without understanding it?

If so, hit me up, I'll give you the in-game Robin code.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 08:16 PM

Akihisa Tsuboy's credits must be a misprint. Pretty sure that's him in 2.12 and 2.13, not 1.12 and 1.13 since 1.12 and 1.13 don't even feature a solo violin.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:49 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yup good spot. Also makes perfect sense as he's collaborated with Yoshitaka Hirota in the past.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 07:58 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
2-14 闇を超えた先 I have rendered "Once Beyond the Darkness." That "Once" is a little vague, I know ... the most clear wording would be to use "Previously" instead of "Once," since "Once" could be interpreted like "okay, NOW THAT WE are beyond the darkness," whereas I think this track is referring to some force that used to BE beyond the darkness, and has now crossed a threshold of some kind. Could REALLY use help with this one...
先 is point/place/end of [something]/ahead of/beyond so a better translation is "Point Beyond the Darkness"

http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E5%85%88
Old Nov 26, 2015, 09:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
先 is point/place/end of [something]/ahead of/beyond so a better translation is "Point Beyond the Darkness"

http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E5%85%88
That is helpful, thank you for updating vgmdb, I'll update my personal files as well.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 03:25 AM

let's imagine a movie about war or spies
the hero (a sniper) succeeded in killing the bad guy and must report to his colonel

what could the guy say? 1/ mission complete or 2/ strategy success
I let people guess ;p
Old Nov 28, 2015, 07:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
let's imagine a movie about war or spies
the hero (a sniper) succeeded in killing the bad guy and must report to his colonel

what could the guy say? 1/ mission complete or 2/ strategy success
I let people guess ;p
Nice catch, I see jb updated already. Thanks much!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 06:13 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Aha, good to know!

Well ... is anyone playing Imperial SaGa, 'cause they know Japanese or they're crazy and are playing it without understanding it?

If so, hit me up, I'll give you the in-game Robin code.
Heads-up: this code has been claimed by a fellow vgmdb-er. So that offer has sailed.