VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 2, 2011, 09:29 AM
VGMdb Staff

Almost all of data taken from Animatrix ending credits (bluray edition).
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:43 AM
VGMdb Staff

Just made a small correction by removing some people from Lyricist field (songs without any lyrics were in question). Also added Tech Itch to Arrangers field (forgot it earlier}.

Last edited by Efendija; Sep 2, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 07:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm a little confused about whether "written" means they wrote the music, or if it just means they wrote the lyrics.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 08:18 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, it is. The thing is I don't have info for music/ lyrics separation, because all they say is basically who "wrote" and who performed, no matter if it's just one guy, or bunch of people. They don't break it down at all. As I said, I used movie credits, they looked OK given the details provided, and because I don't have the CD booklet.

So captured screens like these were my reference:

I owe a bit more explanation - for arrangers - there are some songs which are taken without edits from their respective albums (no arranging credits given there); there are some which have "Animatrix Edit" part included, they are specifically altered versions for this movie, so people who "wrote" them are also assumed to be (some of them anyhow) arrangers. On the other hand, "Red Pill, Blue Pill" and "The Real" consist of various music pieces by Don Davis with a second 'layer' of remixed music done by Junkie XL and Tech Itch, so I put them also as arrangers. And those two tracks have some dialogue from the live action Matrix movies, so that's why Drama is also marked for classification.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 03:24 PM
VGMdb Staff

Here are some changes:

Geri Soriano Lightwood is always credited as songwriter/vocalist (so lyricist credits/composer credits are good, altogether performance is strictly credited under band name - Supreme Beings of Leisure). Lyrics credits removed for Ramin Sakurai, Kirin Shahani, and Rick Torres (instrumentalists).

Mabi Thobejane is a percussionist, so removed lyrics credit (he stays as a composer/arranger with Watkins though).

Added Photek's real name in notes (Rupert Parkes). He is strictly credited for composing/performance under Photek alias, so only that is present in composer/performers fields...

Also corrected the tracklist a bit.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 06:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I wonder if here in the West, it's more common for the lyrics and music to be written by the same person, while in Japan (based on so many credits I've seen), it's much less common.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

Could be. But that style is very familiar to me, I'd say majority of song credits (used in movies) are presented that way. It's easy to understand if it's only one person credited as "writer" and performer, but when it's more than one person... kind of hard to understand why concept of 'written by/ performed by' is also there. I guess you get used to it. Then again if you have like seven people credited as "writers", and the track has lyrics, you know it's impossible that each person contributed both composition and lyrics. Also could be that it's considered sufficient to put the info in as "writers". Separating composition and lyrics isn't very important - and that's wrong attitude, but if there is no proper additional information available, nothing more can be done really....

Even more examples:

Old Sep 6, 2011, 01:58 PM
VGMdb Staff

YET ANOTHER EDIT.......... Nicola Kuperus removed from composers/lyricist fields. Her role was purely vocal (one-time deal only with Death in Vegas).

I think this is finally everything I could do regarding info gathering and correction.