VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:07 PM

I enjoy his electronic style from Einhänder deeply. It's the only soundtrack I know and own.
Is there any other Kenichiro Fukui work comparable with Einhänders?
It might help to add, that I enjoy many STG composers, such as Tamayo Kawamoto and Hyakutaro Tsukumo.
I'm looking exactly for this melodic, powerful, emotional, outer space STG sound. Are there recommendations?

Last edited by Gaia; Jan 14, 2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:20 PM

You might want to check out his tracks on Project Sylpheed.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:03 AM

His arrangements on Mushi Double and Deathsmiles Arrange albums were the highlights for me, which is saying something. Cannot wait for more Black Mages involvement!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm afraid The Black Mages will not release any more albums. I have heard the group has been discontinued, as Nobuo Uematsu is focusing on a new group (presumably the Earthbound Papas that performed in Distant Worlds II).
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:11 AM

Last I heard anything about them was here where he says we can expect a fourth album, but I guess times have changed. Any word on the members of the new band?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
I'm afraid The Black Mages will not release any more albums. I have heard the group has been discontinued, as Nobuo Uematsu is focusing on a new group (presumably the Earthbound Papas that performed in Distant Worlds II).
Yeah, Uematsu just said on the radio that TMB had been disbanded.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:19 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Alright, thanks for the confirmation. But what about the comment made to SEMO?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
Alright, thanks for the confirmation. But what about the comment made to SEMO?
I don't know what comment you're talking about (their updates are becoming so massive lately that I have't caught all of them. It doesn't help my English isn't strong enough to skim a long articles/interview), but is it this?
Quote:
Don: In a more general sense, do you think it'd be one day possible for The Black Mages to do more concerts or even go on tour?

Nobuo Uematsu: Despite the challenge, I'd very much like to do that. However, it's so difficult to make time for rehearsals these days, since everyone is so busy. Tsuyoshi Sekito and Keiji Kawamori are composers of Square Enix, for example, while Kenichiro Fukui is now lecturing at a new university. We should just rename ourselves the Tokyo Business Men instead — we'll still have the same initials! Actually, Sekito-san works outside Tokyo these days back in Osaka, so it's a two hour train journey for him to make rehearsals. That makes things even more complicated.

No idea why Uematsu gave up the band. All I heard is it had been disbanded anyway and he would focus on the new band instead. Btw, Chris, the radio is not Inumimi Radio as your article says. It's "NHK FM Housou's Kyou ha Ichinici Game Ongaku Zanmai", a half-day radiocast dedicated to VGM. Here is the Twitter responses if anybody doubts if he really made that comment.

EDIT: Oh, I missed jdkluv's post and the interview he linked - yeah, it's odd there is still something we can expect from a disbanded group.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 09:22 AM

Yeah, I quickly edited my post realizing that it might not be that radio station, and now will edit it again to reflect the new radio station and thank you. Sorry for the length of our articles -- we try to do a range of sizes, but admittedly some of them are pretty overwhelming for one read, such as Tenpei Sato.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:58 AM

I for one think a long interview should definitely be fine as long as it's informative and has no filler part (at least, for somebody fluent in English). Perhaps what I need is the original Japanese text like GeOnDan usually (if not always) does.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:01 AM

Yeah, see here for their entry list. It even includes the Tenpei Sato interview. But not everyone is members of GOD and some game companies are strict about it being posted there. We do have functionality to include Japanese text through our news system, but waiting for a few months to upgrade where bilingual interviews will be commonplace.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:11 AM

Just saw this new trailer for ESPGaluda II iPad2 version, which is said to feature new music. If I didn't mess up, it seems like it'll be by Kenichiro Fukui. Can someone confirm?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgvBGDr8XRU

Starts at 45 seconds or so.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:18 AM

Yeah, Fukui with an unit "KAY" consisting of three composers handpicked by him (presumably his students?).

http://www.cave.co.jp/news/esp2110930/
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:22 AM

Interesting. I liked the sound of, presumably, the boss theme.