VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 30, 2010, 06:08 AM
Trusted Editor

My try at adding per-track vocalist infos.

Main source if the NFO file of the 'ykfan.cn' discography archive.

More sources:
http://wiki.jpopstop.com/wiki/Napple_Tale_Kaijuu_Zukan (clashes, since track 07 is credited to Ilaria Graziano)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VTCL-60158 (lists Adoriano Martino)
http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~groove/art...pple_tale.html (contains even more info, if someone wants to add this)
http://members.shaw.ca/ykdb/discogra...jyuuzukan.html (Yoko Kanno DB)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:37 PM

Standout tracks: October Child & Wild Wind

There are not enough adjectives in the English language to describe these two. They are on the opposite ends of the emotional spectrum, but damn they are just brilliant. Never played the game, but October Child is like a perfect peaceful track that one would expect to be played in a moment of remembrance. Probably a perfect funeral song. I am a sucker for those types of songs. On the other hand, Wild Wind is more musically impressive, has a happier tone, more memorable and catchy I would imagine for most people.

I wish everyone in the world could hear what they are missing with tracks like these, instead of listening to most garbage on the radio. Obviously VGM is still quite a niche in the music world, especially albums such as these. Unfortunate.

As a whole the album is okay to good, and personally, great for just for these two songs, but what are your guys thoughts? any favorites?

Last edited by BahamutZ; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:03 AM

A lot of tracks are standouts. The whole album is, VGM or otherwise. It's a curious and cute little score, utterly whimsical, and Kanno's penchant for genre eccentricity is on full display.

My favorites are Snow Princess, Snowballs, Egg, Fun With Numbers, Green Wings, Little Black Book from Vol.1. From Vol.2 I like Summer Squid, Playing Tamaire, Slow Water, Rabbit Bed, Dreams in a Pie, and Sleepy Snake. I also must confess a special affinity for October Child... it's the 22nd track on the album, and my birthday is Oct. 22.

Have you heard much of Kanno's anime? Wild Wind actually sounds like a cross between a track from Brain Powerd and one from Turn A Gundam.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:35 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I love Dreams in a Pie and Rabbit Bed.

I love both Napple Tale albums in general.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
A lot of tracks are standouts. The whole album is, VGM or otherwise. It's a curious and cute little score, utterly whimsical, and Kanno's penchant for genre eccentricity is on full display.

My favorites are Snow Princess, Snowballs, Egg, Fun With Numbers, Green Wings, Little Black Book from Vol.1. From Vol.2 I like Summer Squid, Playing Tamaire, Slow Water, Rabbit Bed, Dreams in a Pie, and Sleepy Snake. I also must confess a special affinity for October Child... it's the 22nd track on the album, and my birthday is Oct. 22.

Have you heard much of Kanno's anime? Wild Wind actually sounds like a cross between a track from Brain Powerd and one from Turn A Gundam.
Indeed I have. Big fan of those albums as well. I like most of her work, but I could do without the Jazz. Agree with both of you on Rabbit Bed and Dreams in a Pie for sure on Vol II.

Last edited by BahamutZ; Jan 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM.