VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:03 AM

Default Ebay user selling bootlegs?

http://myworld.ebay.com/snag-a-bargain

I was wondering if they are selling bootlegs. They seem to sold multiple copies of some soundtracks, like Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong Country 3, Eternal Darkness etc. And they all are brand new and sealed too. Is there any way to know for sure they are legit copies?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:40 AM

They could be legit, usually bootlegs go for rock-bottom prices, like $12. Also he eludes to the original printing in the description, so they are basically described as legit copies even though he doesn't say 'not a bootleg.' The only thing that sends off warning bells is the pictures look like images taken from google, not photos of the actual cds. His feedback also doesn't say anything about bootlegs, but people often don't give bad feedback about that. The safest thing is probably to message him asking for pictures of the actual cd and/or catalog numbers.

That is weird that he is selling Banjo Tooie twice, identically described, one for $50 and one for $100
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:46 PM

I actually had already bought the DKC3 one and it does seem legit or it is a very convincing bootleg. I just find it weird that he has so many of these out-of-print releases and the prices aren't too high.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:05 PM

I bought a copy of the Donkey Kong Country 3 soundtrack from that same seller a couple years ago, and it looks like everything checks out. I also bought Play It Loud! Volume 1 from him, and absolutely everything checks out on that, down to the text on the inner ring of the CD itself - identical to the disc scanned on this site. If these are bootlegs, they are the most perfectly accurate fakes I've ever seen.

Just out of curiosity (and for a bit of peace of mind), could someone who's owned the DKC3 soundtrack for a while go and read what the text on the inner ring of the disc says? Mine reads ALLIED DT and a set of numbers on either side. I only ask because there's no way to read that text on the disc scan uploaded here.