VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 29, 2011, 04:17 AM

oh wait a sec, they will release the arranged album and the soundtrack of seiken densetsu as two discs instead of using the one-disc release containing both albums

seriously -_-
and that useless 3rd disc of sword of mana too?
Old May 29, 2011, 08:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Hopefully Sword of Mana's useless 3rd disc isn't a separate disc. I know that would add it to 20, but I'm assuming this going to be "19 CDs plus one DVD" as SaGa was "20 CDs plus one DVD" ... S-E catalog numbers don't differentiate CD and DVD.

In any case, the only thing in my current collection from this series is Seiken Densetsu 2 OSV, which I have signed from Kikuta so I won't sell. I better start saving money NOW for this...
Old May 30, 2011, 09:49 AM

Well, if they would re-record/remaster the GB-soundtrack and make a two-disc soundtrack for Seiken Densetsu 2, I might be interested but if not I don't really care, almost have all of the SD-music I care about.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:09 AM

"l'espoir fait vivre" (google that )
Old May 30, 2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPI View Post
Well, if they would re-record/remaster the GB-soundtrack and make a two-disc soundtrack for Seiken Densetsu 2, I might be interested but if not I don't really care, almost have all of the SD-music I care about.
Wait, they need to rerecord/remaster the GB soundtrack? What's wrong with it? As far as I recall, it didn't have the problems that the SaGa GB OSVs had.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPI View Post
Well, if they would [...] make a two-disc soundtrack for Seiken Densetsu 2, I might be interested but if not I don't really care, almost have all of the SD-music I care about.
You said it. Same goes for me.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:50 AM

Well, I suck at explaining these things but if you have a chance to check out "Rising Sun" for example (it's either track 1 or 8 depending on the soundtrack version you have) there are these odd sound effects or whatever you can call that. It sounds like the music wasn't properly emulated or something. The first time this happens is between the 1st and 2nd second, and the next one appears at 0:08, and 0:16 and so on and so on. Maybe it's like that on the GameBoy as well but I really doubt that these glitches are supposed to be there or part of the composition. For me, they just don't belong there... but hey, no one else ever complained about that before so maybe it's just me. If you have a explanation of what's going on there I sure would like to know it.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:36 PM

I wished the SaGa Box was bookstyle like this one XD
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:00 PM

I hope missing tracks will appear in this box like they did with missing tracks of saga frontier

I know the music used for the "Game Select" menu (with a forest in the bg) in sd2 isn't on the sd2 osv
and the music when you quit the mana sanctuary after the final boss and dialogues isn't on sd3 osv (spc collections available on the net haven't either :/)

edit: they could add those tracks + the useless sword of mana cd with the piano arrange cd of sword of mana, there probably is enough room)

Last edited by Phonograph; Jul 22, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The official website refers to the album as "Seiken-Densetu Music Complete Book" in the logo, but that title doesn't appear to be on the sleeve that's pictured.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:12 PM

I wonder if the whole thing is already made or if it's just a sort of draft (for online shops etc)

edit: I think that 13-page book has one album per page (except with seiken 3 & 4 which must have 2)
so 1 page for sd1/sd2/sword/children/heroes/legend/sd arrange/sd2 arrange/dvd and 2 for sd3/sd4 (= 13)

Last edited by Phonograph; Jun 28, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
The official website refers to the album as "Seiken-Densetu Music Complete Book" in the logo, but that title doesn't appear to be on the sleeve that's pictured.
I must be totally blind because I don't see any logo on the official site (I assume it's seiken20th or I don't know)
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Top-left corner of this page, right below the Square Enix logo.

It's laid out the same way as the album title on the book/sleeve, but with that English title instead of what look like the composers' names.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:12 PM

ah ok, I'm not blind so because it's not on the page I have

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...oard01zlz.jpg/

Last edited by Phonograph; Jun 28, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Alright, we figured it out in IRC. That image I posted with the English title is what you see if you have Flash disabled. With Flash on, you get the full Japanese text as it appears on the box.

Not sure why they have a different logo there with and without Flash, but there you go for anyone who's curious.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

FYI, I got a new computer, and with it a new (faster, cleaner) flatbed scanner.

So you can expect full scans of this by the third or fourth week of September.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:16 AM

you shall put those into a rar and send it to me =)
Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:58 AM

apparently, the track from the 3rd cd of sword of mana should follow the piano tracks

if the site has the correct ordering:
sd1, sd2, sd3, sd4, sw.om, lom, com, hom, sd arr, sd2 arr

Last edited by Phonograph; Sep 16, 2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:43 AM

Kenji Ito got his sample today: http://twitpic.com/6es4hx, lucky him!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:35 PM

OSV's unboxing video went live today:

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/...complete-book/

Easily the best looking box set in game music.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:46 AM

Well, it indeed looks absolutely great. But this video makes it obvious that SD2 is once again only a single disc, which probably isn't too bad. I already have all the SD-albums I'm interested in, aside from a two-disc version of SD2 probably. So the postive thing is, this saves me a lot of money. xD
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:45 AM

Were I not to own any of the soundtracks, I would most definitely get this. The "book" approach is truly what I like the most. I'm interested in the DVD, though...

Also, in response to FPI's comment; I honestly don't find anything wrong with "Rising Sun". I listened to it multiple times, by about 4 to 5 times, with and without headphones, and I can't detect any form of sound effect. If it makes any difference, I own the 1995 (PSCN-5029) release, which is track 8, as you mentioned.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:56 AM

"rising sun" isn't supposed to be the music you hear in the intro, the one which explains the legend?
if so, I don't remember any sound effects here and why would there be?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:35 PM

The DVD is cool for the interviews and behind the scenes if you know Japanese, but I'm disappointed in the fact that the orchestral medley is in video only. Would have liked it in MP3 format or as a track on one of the CDs.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:42 PM

I just received my copy this afternoon (much sooner than expected, for a nice change). Here's a full breakdown of the discs. Most of them are duplicates of the already released soundtracks, but there are a couple variants that merge discs or include bonus tracks.

Disc 0 - Bonus DVD:
1. Music Clip
2. Creators Interview
3. Recording Documentary

Disc 1 - Seiken Densetsu Original Sound Version
http://vgmdb.net/album/718

Disc 2-3 - Sword of Mana Premium Soundtrack
http://vgmdb.net/album/21

Note: Disc 3 combines both discs 2 and 3 from the original set

Disc 4 - Seiken Densetsu 2 Original Sound Version
http://vgmdb.net/album/721

Disc 5-7 - Seiken Densetsu 3 Original Sound Version
http://vgmdb.net/album/530

Disc 8-11 - Seiken Densetsu 4 Original Soundtrack - Sanctuary
http://vgmdb.net/album/3950
http://vgmdb.net/album/4601

Note: Disc 11 includes two bonus tracks from the Breath of Mana bonus CD:
32 - Breath of Mana*
33 - Rising Sun (piano solo version)

*Although this is labeled as 'Breath of Mana' in the liner notes, it's actually 'Burning Spirits' from the Breath of Mana CD. This appears to be a pressing mistake, as 'Burning Spirits' is already included on disc 8 track 12. Best I can tell, tracks 0812 and 1123 are identical, and the actual 'Breath of Mana' track is nowhere to be found.

Disc 12-13 - Seiken Densetsu / Legend of Mana Original Soundtrack
http://vgmdb.net/album/77

Disc 14-15 - Seiken Densetsu DS Children of Mana - Original Soundtrack
http://vgmdb.net/album/585

Disc 16-17 - Seiken Densetsu Heroes of Mana Original Soundtrack
http://vgmdb.net/album/4420

Disc 18 - Seiken Densetsu - Put Your Thoughts to Music
http://vgmdb.net/album/719

Disc 19 - Secret of Mana +
http://vgmdb.net/album/722

I wanted to add track titles and times for the full set, but I don't think I'm going to have time before leaving town tomorrow. I figured I'd at least post this so anyone else can copy over the data from the original releases.

Last edited by nitro322; Sep 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

nitro, if you or someone else wants to handle getting the tracklists and info together, that'd be rad. Else, I might do it tomorrow.

For now, I'm about to upload all packaging scans. I got mine today as well. Huzzah Play-Asia for the speedy S&H.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:32 PM

Play-Asia... speedy shipping and handling? Hah. I'm on the 4th week waiting for a 2-CD soundtrack from them.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Hellacia -- that's why I said "huzzah." I've had bad experiences with them plenty of times. But for expensive items like this, they seem to have come through.

Okay, packaging scans are all up. Some notes:

1. I did my best to name these images in a way that make sense. I am not at all offended if someone wants to rename them.

2. There are a variety of typos through this thing. My favorite is on Liner Notes 3 at the top, "CHILDREN OF MAMA." Yes, I suppose being a mama does necessitate having children...

3. I didn't scan the discs separately because they're inlaid in the book (as Jayson's video shows). Behind the discs are no images, so there was no reason to pull them out.

4. I worked super hard on these, and it was quite a feat getting these scans without damaging the book too much. So ... if you don't like 'em, go buy your own. In fact, buy it anyway.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:00 PM

Haha, as far as typos go, Children of Mama is pretty appropriate. Funny thing though, this is the first box set I've considered buying and it's kind of because of Children of Mana. I swear that the original release of that soundtrack is a myth and cannot actually be found anywhere on the planet. And I suppose owning all the rest of them is a pretty good deal too, since I don't own any of them (Okay obviously, I wouldn't buy the whole box for Children of Mana but I've really wanted that soundtrack and I'm realizing this box is literally the only way I will ever acquire it.)

Yeah, I'm pretty fed up with Play-Asia and will probably not order them again. Also, epic scans! I really wish everyone would contribute scans, even for a single album. It would help improve the database so much.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:28 PM

Ramza,

I'm afraid I won't be able to do the track lists after all. At least not for the next week or so. Just ran out of time trying to get everything done. I hope my list here at least makes it easier for someone else to do this.

Also, excellent scans! I'm sure it did take quite a bit of effort to scan everything without damaging the (awesome) book. The thing's a beast. Definitely appreciate your efforts.

And finally, I ordered mine from Play Asia as well. I've also had mixed success with them in the past (3 weeks is probably my average shipping time), but damn man - I got this sucker overnight this time. Shipped on 9/14, received on 9/15. Can't complain about that.

Last edited by nitro322; Sep 16, 2011 at 09:33 PM.