VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 3, 2014, 08:21 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default "Artist" names

So sometimes, especially on rhythm game soundtracks, songs are credited under the name of an "artist." Sometimes this is the name of the singer, sometimes it's the same name as the composer, and sometimes it's a completely different name.

Like for this song from beatmania IIDX 19, the credited composer is Tatsh (Tatsuya Shimizu), but the "artist" is STN. STN isn't the composer or arranger (those are Tatsh), certainly isn't the lyricist, and isn't really the performer since there aren't any instrumental credits. STN is its own name in a separate category from the four artist fields on an album.

~~~~~~~~~~

Likewise, sometimes an album is published under the name of an "artist" that isn't actually credited for any of the four fields. An example of this would be EGOIST's releases, for which there was a discussion about how to handle linking.

nextday's opinion was that EGOIST isn't a band and is never credited with anything, so it doesn't really make sense to link EGOIST as a performer when it's not a performer. I agree with this: EGOIST falls into its own category of name.

~~~~~~~~~~

So my question of the thread is this: are the "artist" names I've been describing in this thread worth capturing by the database in some way?

ᄐv๑–X² has been linking them as performers on DDR albums, but I really dislike this workaround. I think the performer field should be kept to actual musical performance and not used as a catch-all field for any name we want linked to an album. But there isn't a better way to link them to albums at the moment, so it falls to that or nothing at all.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:23 PM

there is another "character artist" aka conan edogawa
I always found it dumb to link character as real artist when it's fictive
for the album title, it's ok but not for performer or other fields to link

I spoke about it on irc yesterday (I think) and today too (no, I don't spend my time to speak about it)

Last edited by Phonograph; Oct 3, 2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 03:03 AM

I'm all in on making the albums as accurate as possible, so what's the best possible way to preserve aliases? especially within BEMANI artists which have a typical fashion of crediting works like this:

Song: PARANOiA
Artist: 180
Composer: NM sequence

Example

Crediting the composer is a piece of cake, but where do we put his "180" alias link to him? Can't be in the composer field or arranged, and it doesn't sound 'that' great putting it under the performer field (although to me it makes some sense as it's like a stage name while composing it under a studio.

Summary of solutions:

( 1 ) Redefine what the term 'Perfomer' field is to expand beyond just 'Stage/Band performances and include Studio performed artist as aliases.

( 2 ) Completely forget the whole alias thing and just focus on composers, and leave the 'Performer' to field that way it stands in definition, no alias linking.

( 3 ) The extreme solution would be to put an "Artist" Slot to the site, problem solved.

I'm rooting for accuracy on this site, that is why this database is different and possibly enviable by others because of the the excellent work editors and submitters communicate issues and tighten entries.

That being said, it would be a mistake disregarding artist aliases to just composers as it makes it much less complete and a bit confusing. BEMANI albums (from what I've seen) have this situation across all their series and I believe we need to reach an agreement on what to do from now on as a standard.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 06:16 AM

for your example, jasrac has:

正題: PARANOIA
アーティスト名: 180
1 N.MAEDA 作詞
2 N.MAEDA 作曲

Last edited by Phonograph; Oct 4, 2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
for your example, jasrac has:

正題: PARANOIA
アーティスト名: 180
1 N.MAEDA 作詞
2 N.MAEDA 作曲
I'm sorry I missed the point on this one. What does JASRAC have anything to do with what the booklet states?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 01:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

JASRAC is an official database so I guess that's an example of how it could be represented.