VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 11, 2013, 03:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Brad Buxer (#1475)

http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/11/ev...etails-emerge/

GeneHF on Sonic Retro found "Hard Times," an unreleased song by the '80s band The Jetzons. One of the members of the band was Brad Buxer, who was part of Michael Jackson's music production crew on Sonic 3.

"Hard Times" is basically Ice Cap. Similar sounds, very similar chorus melody, and same bassline.

!!!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 05:20 PM
Trusted Editor

whoa...

this opens alot of new discussion. this track predates smooth criminal, and whoever arranged this in the game must have based it on this version (maybe with the melody being re-written by MJ)

now that I think of it, Brad must have been the guy who did the basslines and percussion while MJ came up with the melody. I think even Brad himself said something similar for Stranger in Moscow (which was originally written for Sonic 3!) I remember Cirocco telling me that Brad's the one who hired him, so Brad must have been the guy most directly involved in the game's production. maybe MJ himself's contributions for the game are not as large as we all previously thought? too bad Brad won't answer fan questions (because of the legal mess, but I wonder if this new revelation will open him up?)

amazing stuff, and makes you wonder what else will be dug up!

Last edited by dissident93; Nov 11, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Update on this one: Moseph on the OverClocked ReMix forums checked out BMI's registered authors for "Hard Times" and found that only Jetzons bandmate Bruce Connole is credited for writing the song, not Brad Buxer: http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?...erytype=WorkID.

Now, western songwriting credits tend to be tricky for a variety of reasons (composers and lyricists credited together without differentiation, people going uncredited, every member of the band being credited for all songs, etc.), so it's certainly possible that the solo credit to Connole is misleading or flat out wrong. Moseph looked up other songs by The Jetzons and found that Buxer was credited for writing several of them, so it looks like they were in fact keeping proper track of who wrote which songs and this one is really just by Connole.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 02:33 PM
Trusted Editor

hmmm, interesting. so Ice Cap Zone was written by this Bruce guy all along? haha