VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Is this a legitimate release? The cover looks potentially bogus, track 16 is a piece from C418's original album "life changing moments seem minor in pictures" that's still tagged that way and even includes its cover art, and track 17 is a recording from a YouTube vid.

Last edited by CHz; Nov 28, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Taking this a little further, is FilePlanet a legitimate distributor, or do they let people upload anything?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:01 PM

Honestly, it looks iffy. There's still the possibility of it being legitimate, and those two tracks being added by whoever uploaded it, as well as it being some kind of gamerip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Taking this a little further, is FilePlanet a legitimate distributor, or do they let people upload anything?
50/50? FilePlanet to me is like an online deposit, as usually you find stuff uploaded there that no longer is available online. Take The Lord of the Rinds Online Soundtrack for example; it was first released by Turbine, but, as far as I know, no longer distributes it.

Some stuff there isn't always legitimate, and if I remember correctly, there were some instances were some entries from there were rejected here after concluding they were either gamerips or unofficial releases. So like I said, this one looks fishy.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:45 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am not found of this kind of entries. Fileplanet is such a poor way to distribute soundtracks..

Though if fileplanet is right, the author of the upload is Notch, it is the alias of Markus Alexej Persson, the creator of Minecraft.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:01 PM
VGMdb Staff

Here's a blog post about it: http://blog.fileplanet.com/2010/12/0...cks-for-games/

But C418 appears to have posted in the comments section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C418
You know what I find pretty mean? Not that you upload the soundtrack to download freely for everyone. No, the fact that you don’t at least link to any of my websites as an exchange. That’s what I find pretty mean.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:20 PM

I was about to post that after seeing it.

Anyway, inquiry solved:

Spoiler:

Ignore them grammar errors. =P

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Nov 28, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I feel we should keep this entry up simply to inform people that it is not a legitimate release. At least we should remove the link to fileplanet.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Nice detective work, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
I feel we should keep this entry up simply to inform people that it is not a legitimate release. At least we should remove the link to fileplanet.
I am okay with this.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Agreed.

Our first ever digital bootleg.

EDIT: LOL, literally.

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Nov 29, 2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Just a small edit after checking the entry...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:26 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think we are opening a can of worms here by creating album pages for digital bootlegs, and linking their download sources. We are setting a precedent that allows the logical inclusion of just about every game rip that someone decided to put up on some semi-legitimate website.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:31 AM

I agree. At first I was like, "Eh, wouldn't hurt to keep them cataloged", but then realized people could just barge in and make submissions left and right for stuff like this.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:46 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am not really liking what i see here.
Went away all day and we'r invaded by digital bootlegs ?!

In the past we refused real illegal digital distribution.. Do you remember makellbird guys ?
These entries are too close to game rips i'd say.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:45 PM

No doubt about it. I believe there could be some exceptions, though, but only if fully researched. For example, there are some soundtracks that were once distributed online, but are now impossible to find for various reasons, like the website they were available for download going offline. Two soundtracks that come to mind would be The Lord of the Rings Online and Deus Ex: Invisible War. I'm actually glad I managed to find both on FilePlanet given I never managed to get them from their original distributer.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

True enough, but it's already indexed by Google, so we should at least give it some time for the change in album details to propagate before removing or replacing the entry. It's a consequence of our system making new submissions active by default (which I will change).
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Ahhhh, I see the problem now. Hmm.

I do think it'd be useful to have some kind of reference about rips packaged as soundtracks. Sometimes people make it clear that what they're doing is unofficial, but frequently they don't. This one fooled one person enough to add it, so I'm sure it has fooled/will fool others. I've searched here a few times for things that ended up being rips, found nothing, and then had to go on and do more research.

Put another way, it'd be nice if we didn't make everyone have to contact C418 to find out this isn't legit. PsychoZeke already took the time to do that.

But on VGMdb that's not really possible without making album entries, and opening the floodgates to hundreds of rips is... yeah. Perhaps this is a bit out of our purview.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I took care of the ones I knew about. The ones remaining in the queue are probably legit (aside from this one), but why don't you guys take a look and see what you think.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:43 PM

Well...

1) In regards to the Stargunner entry, I'm with you in believing Apogee released it at some point, probably during 2002 when the title was discontinued (just a guess).

2) The Castle Crashers Soundtrack I was thinking could stay given it contains a track that was once part of the Newgrounds version. I've no clue when or why they removed it from the soundtrack's download page.

3) Regarding the Knights of the Temple Original Soundtrack, if I'm permitted, I wouldn't mind uploading it and adding a Mediafire link as an "available at" option given the website it was distributed at no longer exist. I searched and FilePlanet doesn't have it either.

4) The MAG: Raven entry should be deactivated.

That would be my input on the matter.