VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 6, 2012, 06:04 PM

Default KICA-7935~6: GENSOSUIKODEN II ORIGINAL GAME SOUNDTRACK Vol. 1

Why exactly do people write these titles in cap lock?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:40 PM

Are you asking about the editors here or the actual creators of the soundtracks/games? I would assume maybe wrongly that the creators are not extremely well versed in the English language and thus write how they consider it may be. This can account for the lack of spaces, caps lock, random capitalization, bad punctuation, misuse of acronyms. etc.

If you mean the editors here. Is because there are style guide lines, and the style usually dictates to use how it was written on the soundtrack. Which means including typos, lack of spacing, complete capitalization, etc.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 05:44 AM

In Japan, they are taught that things written in katakana (the character set used to write foreign words, among other things) should be translated to caps, because katakana are also used for emphasis. That's probably part of it.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:57 PM

I think that just because these CDs are from Japan, we're trying to link the capitalization to their Japanese origin. That they're from Japan has nothing to do with the fact that they're written in all caps.

http://www.wordsintoapapercup.com/im...british-ep.jpg

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/b/b...t-of-basia.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51derslQmFL.jpg

http://www.mindovermetal.org/blog/wp...suns_cover.jpg

You could literally find thousands of examples. None of the text in these few examples is written in "normal capitalization", whether it's the font or it's just blatantly in caps. The producers of these albums want text to stand out, be easier to read... or whatever else, so they stylize it. Here at VGMdb, we just decide to honor the "capitalization" even if it is really just stylization.

Last edited by Hellacia; Apr 7, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I think that just because these CDs are from Japan, we're trying to link the capitalization to their Japanese origin. That they're from Japan has nothing to do with the fact that they're written in all caps.

You could literally find thousands of examples. None of the text in these few examples is written in "normal capitalization", whether it's the font or it's just blatantly in caps. The producers of these albums want text to stand out, be easier to read... or whatever else, so they stylize it. Here at VGMdb, we just decide to honor the "capitalization" even if it is really just stylization.
Agreed, I did relate it a bit much to them not being native English speakers which is wrong, since we have multiple albums that are by native English speakers that do use capitalization as they wish.

As mentioned we just follow how it was written.
If they meant to put it there with a certain style or bad understanding of the language, doesn't really matter.

If it lacks a translation, then we put it in with normal capitalization.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:22 AM

So track 1-13 seriously has nothing to do with this? Even if it's kind of a pun reference or something? I probably don't know what I'm talking about. That track title just makes absolutely no fucking sense. There's really no "and" anywhere. It's not people and birds. It's one person, 人, directly followed by 暮, which is "evening", not と, which is "and".

山村暮鳥, without the 人 in the middle, gets a lot of results on Google, even with some pictures of a guy. Could the track title be referring to this person, who is seemingly a known poet? Otherwise it just makes noooooo seeeeeense

EDIT: Okay I guess sometimes 人 is people (kinda always thought 人人 was), but that still doesn't help.

Last edited by Hellacia; Jun 27, 2013 at 03:28 AM.