VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 3, 2008, 05:14 AM

I'm not sure if I agree with the performance tag on this one. The Black Mages weren't established as a band until after the release of this album and before their first concert. This album features a mixture of performances and synthesizer operation from Tsuyoshi Sekito (guitar) and Kenichiro Fukui (keyboards). None of the others were involved and the drums were sequenced. If you define The Black Mages as a band not a project, I think the tags should be changed to Tsuyoshi Sekito and Kenichiro Fukui.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 05:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Hmm, that is a pretty valid point...
Old Sep 3, 2008, 06:11 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'd have to agree with you Chris, that's a good point. I made the edits.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:59 AM

Was never a big fan of Jenova, Battle Scene from FF1, nor Dancing Mad. Do people still like this Dancing Mad from those who like the original? However, the album literally rocks out on everything else here.

Force Your Way, Decisive Battle, Battle Theme are the top notch tracks here.

Performance wise, they all sound pretty good, but I am sure there are others better suited to discussing that.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 02:51 PM

Got me a copy (of the 2004 reprint), been loving it since it came out and glad to finally own it.
Any particular reason why the games and systems represented entries seem to ignore Final Fantasy X? I amended the entry, but seems like a big oversight so maybe there's something here I'm missing?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamutZ View Post
Was never a big fan of Jenova, Battle Scene from FF1, nor Dancing Mad.
J-E-N-O-V-A is my favorite track on the album.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:54 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:47 PM

Does anyone have a scan of the real booklet front? All the pictures of the booklet front I look at are not like this one, and this one was provided by iTunes. I think it's more "nice album art" than the front of the actual booklet.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:04 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

The front cover is special.. and won't give any good results on scans i think.
You can have a small resolution one at Chudah's corner.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:10 PM

Oh, I see. Well, guess this will have to do then.

This reminds me of when I tried to scan the stupid Tales of Symphonia slipcase. Came out looking like crap. So, I think I know what you mean. Perhaps the best way is to take a picture with a camera, but I don't know the best way to do that.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor

mercenary09 made a pretty good scan (especially for being one of those glossy logos), I've replaced it.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:12 AM

Well, okay. Technically he did a scan of the reprint.

Also, listening to this CD for the first time. Man, the guitar is awesome, but that stupid synth kills it every time. I was happy to get halfway through Clash on the Big Bridge without it showing up, because it is god-awful.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Well, okay. Technically he did a scan of the reprint.
Wow, that was a huge miss >_< I didn't even realize there was a reprint (or check if there was one, I mean).
Oh well, I guess this is still better than using an iTunes cover.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:10 PM

I don't think the cover can differ too much
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:31 PM

So I've listened to this CD 3 times now, and it's unimaginable to me how it has over a 4.0 rating. This CD is shit. It is probably one of the few CDs that can achieve a faker and shittier sound than an SNES sound chip despite having used equipment a decade older than it. The entirety of Dancing Mad sounds significantly worse than the original, which is just inexcusable. That bell was such a joke man... it didn't even ring. It cut in and out of ringing until it was done. A 16-bit bell rings better than the bell on this CD. And the keys are something you wouldn't even want to hear out of the worst 80s pop-rock or disco song ever, let alone in something that's supposed to be heavy rock. The solos weren't very interesting either. Tsuyoshi Sekito and Kenichiro Fukui are talented composers, but god, they have no fucking clue what they're doing when it comes to making an actual heavy rock song. So many phrases sounded extremely gimmicky, didn't belong, and weren't even played well in their own right. The ending of J-E-N-O-V-A is Fukui basically saying IF I PRESS RANDOM KEYS REALLY QUICKLY, I'LL BE JAMMIN and the fact that it's 6 minutes long is ridiculous considering it only stays interesting for 4 minutes at the VERY most.

Anyway bitchrant done I guess, this CD sucks, glad I decided to buy something else in its place. The only points I'm giving this CD is the points that the original music gets for being good, even if it was butchered.

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 31, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 02:18 PM

why uematsu is in the performer field?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Rolled back the artists to just Sekito & Fukui without the band credit, per Chris's opening post.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 01:09 AM
Banned

I disagree with the fact " THE BLACK MAGES" shouldn't be in the performer field. Sekito and Fuki were the only performers, yes, but they were still THE BLACK MAGES. The fact that it was only two members at the time of recording or that the future members weren't part of the band yet is irrelevant. A band/unit can be just one person and still be called a band. As an example, look at the Foo Fighters debut record. Only one person recorded the entire album but it was still credited as being composed, preformed and recorded by the Foo Fighters.

Also, when you look at THE BLACK MAGES artist page, the album doesn't show up because they are not credited as performers.

So in conclusion, the band should be credited in the performer field as: THE BLACK MAGES (Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui)

There is literally no problem with crediting it that way.

Last edited by Hermandshot; Jun 3, 2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 03:54 AM
Trusted Editor

No, that's like saying that Nausicaa is by Studio Ghibli, when at the the time were the animation was produced Ghibli didn't even exist.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 04:16 AM
Trusted Editor

Interestingly enough, iTunes entry has The Black Mages as an artist. Not Sekito and Fukui.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 01:01 PM

Yeah, I think Hermandshot makes a great point. It seems the album title is intended to be eponymous and it's just that The Black Mages at the time were Sekito and Fukui. That Uematsu, Okamiya, Kawamori, and Hanyuda joined later doesn't make this into somethiing other than the first Black Mages album. It should show up in their discography. I also think his soloution is also perfectly reasonable and is consistent with how the band is credited on other releases on VGMdb.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 05:24 AM
Banned

Default You are wrong and you should feel bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
No, that's like saying that Nausicaa is by Studio Ghibli, when at the the time were the animation was produced Ghibli didn't even exist.
Nausicaä was made by a studio that later BECAME Studio Ghibli, so that analogy is worthless on this situation.

Also, that has nothing to do with music, try again.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 05:52 AM
Trusted Editor

It's exactly the same situation here. The album titled "THE BLACK MAGES" was made by the people which later BECAME the band "THE BLACK MAGES". Chris also points this out in the entry post. Learn to read the thread.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 07:18 AM
VGMdb Staff

This matter has been discussed and reviewed already and how we have it now is as it should be. No real need to go over it again, surely?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 02:28 PM
Banned

If you people truly don't understand why it's wrong to not have the preformer credited as THE BLACK MAGES you are truly beyond saving. The album is called THE BLACK MAGES because that was THE NAME OF THE UNIT THAT MADE THE ALBUM. They didn't become THE BLACK MAGES just because more musicians joined the band, that's a stupid and unnecessary point to make.

Just because it's already been discussed and it has agreed to be left a certain way doesn't mean it's correct. We can go over it as many times as needed until you realize how idiotic of a point you people are making. That's the whole point of this discussion page ya dummies.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:28 AM
VGMdb Staff

If you go back to the point Chris made in the very first post of this thread, he states that the band did not come into being until after the release of the album so, in fact, the album title was not eponymous but rather just an apt title for a rocking Final Fantasy album. After the success and recognition the album enjoyed the band then formed (adding more members) to record and perform live taking on the name of the album for the band, not the other way round.
So, to put THE BLACK MAGES into the performer field for this album would be a retrofit and factually incorrect.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 01:34 AM
Banned

"in fact, the album title was not eponymous but rather just an apt title for a rocking Final Fantasy album"

Wrong again.
The album title WAS eponymous because that was the name of the unit the arrangers formed. Please refer to other albums made by other bands and not just one person and tell me if the titles are the same. (They're not, by the way. You're wrong.)

"After the success and recognition the album enjoyed the band then formed (adding more members)"
The band didn't "form" after the success of the album, the band was already established and added newer members later. You clearly don't know how that works, so you're wrong yet again.

"So, to put THE BLACK MAGES into the performer field for this album would be a retrofit and factually incorrect."
Wrong yet again (unsurprisingly).
It would not be "factually incorrect" because that was the name of the unit that preformed the music. The band and the name of the band had already been established. Or rather, that was the name of the project they took on.

If you search the album, it will always list as the artist being THE BLACK MAGES (also some articles to serve as a rebuttal for your lame point that the album title was not eponymous):

Wikipedia article citing the album as being preformed by THE BLACK MAGES

Disambiguation page from the Final Fantasy Wiki referring to the album as their eponymous first album

Article page from the Final Fantasy Wiki referring to the album as their eponymous first album

iTunes page that credits the album artist as THE BLACK MAGES
Old Jun 4, 2016, 02:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

None of the sources you linked are known to be correct though.

I would trust japanese wikipedia above all of them any day, which in fact says
Quote:
つまり、1stアルバム発売の時点では厳密な意味でのロックバンドとしては存在していなかったのだが、アル バム発売から二ヵ月後に行われた発売記念ライブのために植松・岡宮道生・河盛慶次・羽入田新の4人がプレイ ヤーとして加入し、6人でバンドが結成された。2ndアルバム以降は全パート生演奏となり、以降、解散まで 同メンバーで構成。
If this discussion was had when the album was released, no one would even think of crediting THE BLACK MAGES as a band, which is the point everyone is trying to make here.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:43 PM
Trusted Editor

Many inconsistencies on the Japanese Wikipedia page as well...

Quote:
1stアルバム発売時にはバンドの名前が定まっておらず、「THE BLACK MAGES」と「黒魔道士」のどちらもバンド名としていたが、2ndアルバム発売時に、正式に「THE BLACK MAGES」となった。
Quote:
2003年2月 - THE BLACK MAGES結成。同時にアルバム『THE BLACK MAGES』をデジキューブから発売。
I think the obi, though, made it clear that it's the album name not band name

Quote:
ファイナルファンタジーシリーズ
初のバトルアレンジ・コンピレーション
THE BLACK MAGES|黒魔道士
植松伸夫プロデュース
Old Jun 4, 2016, 04:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The obi says it's a battle arrange album produced by Uematsu with no reference to a band.
But then again, so does the second album.

What Uematsu thinks (feb 2005):
Quote:
Eurogamer: Talking about the Black Mages for a moment; how did the idea for the band come about?

Nobuo Uematsu: It started with the guitarist and the keyboard player - they just made a demo tape for the band, and that's how we got started. They just played around with the battle scene music to make a rock arrangement, and sent it to me, saying "Listen to this, it's so funny!" I really liked it, and we decided to make a CD, to make an album.