VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:11 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Yup. Then again, KeyLogic doesn't think Nintendo cares much about making soundtracks of their games anyway. :/

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:32 AM

Yeah, they could have included so many more themes. Heck, the 20th Anniversary disc from a few years ago was better in comparison. Really, I think Nintendo just doesn't care.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:48 AM

where are the Super Mario Land and Yoshi's Island main overworld/ground themes? those are the obviously missing ones. indeed, it isn't like they were short of space on the disc. most of the tunes have already been released on other albums as well. maybe if they were arranged it'd be a better bonus.

mm, much as nintendo does care about their game soundtracks, they don't care much about seeing them released as albums. it's unfortunate.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:49 PM

And then there was much whining.

It's your own fault for setting high expectations to begin with.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Ito View Post
Especially when this is a Nintendo album, they don't care about us vgm-fans at all.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Especially when this is a Nintendo album, they don't care about us vgm-fans at all.
Both Super Mario Galaxies and the recently released Kirby's Epic Yarn strongly refute that notion. Smash Bros. Brawl alone refutes that notion. Just because they haven't given you a CD to throw your money at for everything under the sun doesn't mean they don't make good music. Entitlement whining is the worst kind of whining.

Last edited by Judge Ito; Oct 23, 2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:08 PM

what?

what
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:40 PM

No, Razakin is right. Nintendo openly admit that they don't see the financial value in regular album releases -- after all, they consider hits to be games that sell several million copies and not albums that sell a mere thousand. It's totally fair to say they don't care about VGM fans (as in soundtrack collectors) and I also think their sound team has been declining for some time. Their sound technology is last century, even on Super Mario Galaxy, and many of their composers could be better.

Last edited by Chris; Oct 23, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No, Razakin is right. Nintendo openly admit that they don't see the financial value in regular album releases -- after all, they consider hits to be games that sell several million copies and not albums that sell a mere thousand.
Well that explains a lot. I wondered why Nintendo never put out official OSTs for the rest of the Metroid Prime games.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
And then there was much whining.

that's bullcrap, haha. while i had no intention of buying this release, you cannot blame those who do for wanting more bang for their buck; you SHOULD have high expectations when money is concerned.
besides i don't think anyone here is surprised. just disappointed.

Quote:
Their sound technology is last century
emphatically disagree. I know why people say that but I don't hear it whatsoever these days. perhaps that's a correct assertion when referring to their games that use sequenced audio as the mainstay, but I think Twilight Princess was the last to do that four years ago. It's that their games (as well as HAL's) have an idiosyncratic sound; a different approach from the norm, much like the games they accompany. they are not realism-obsessed like most game developers. for that they deserve commendation. so it's a matter of aesthetics rather than technology. the non-orchestral elements in the Super Mario Galaxy soundtracks are a-okay to me, they're modern synthesisers alike any other soundtrack, but they're using "lo-fi" presets that are more in line with the character of the games. they seem to have largely done away with the general MIDI-grade sample libraries in their Wii titles (which aren't without their charm, but that's another argument.)

As for their sound staff, I think some of the more recent additions to the sound team (Nagamatsu, Sudo, Shiiba) are great. I reckon their quality dipped in the gamecube generation but their current output is very nice IMO~
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:08 AM

I was mainly referring to the poor mixing and recording of the Super Mario Galaxy soundtracks, especially where orchestral and electronic elements were combined. I've yet to hear anything I found remarkable from new EAD staff, apart from Mahito Yokota, actually.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:50 AM

I don't know why they think they needed any more orchestral composers. Hajime Wakai is the best orchestral composer they have (by a long shot) and yet they've got him scoring cheesy casual games.

Perhaps it's more an issue of management than technology: the right people aren't getting the right jobs! Anyone remember that one guy named Koji Kondo?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:53 AM

And what does Hirokazu Tanaka do these days besides write new Pokemon theme songs? Really, Nintendo's sound staff is underutilized these days.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
And what does Hirokazu Tanaka do these days besides write new Pokemon theme songs? Really, Nintendo's sound staff is underutilized these days.
Writing songs about Hirokazu Tanaka!!!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Soundscape View Post
Writing songs about Hirokazu Tanaka!!!
Well, I must admit, that was pretty awesome.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
you SHOULD have high expectations when money is concerned.
besides i don't think anyone here is surprised. just disappointed.
So you subscribe to the "MONEY DOWN, HOPE IT'S GOOD" notion instead of the sensible "wait and see" method? Well, "Fools and their money" and whatnot...

I'm not defending the album or attacking your disappointment; I'm attacking the unreasonably high expectations people set on every single media release nowadays. And the inevitable whining that comes when those expectations are dashed. Nobody promised you this was going to be a mind-blowing 80-minute Mario music extravaganza, yet every single game, movie and album gets hyped up like it's the second coming. It's pretty unhealthy from a cultural standpoint.

Disappointment is one thing, but someone has to teach you kids to keep your expectations in check to begin with.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Hajime Wakai is the best orchestral composer they have (by a long shot) and yet they've got him scoring cheesy casual games.
Can you imagine how much better Mario Galaxy's soundtrack would have turned out had Wakai been at the helm instead of Yokota? Someone needs to give him an actual orchestra and a good game to score.

I don't understand why anybody cares about the rest of Nintendo's composers. They suck.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:05 PM

Didn't anyone buy Super Mario All-Stars, the U.S. release? The soundtrack disc that came with it is the same as this Japanese one but the track titles are different. Would it still be considered a child album or a new entry? I can add all the info, the CD is right in front of me, just need to know how to proceed.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:19 PM

If I understood correctly, then it should be a child album, unless it has additional content.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
MONEY DOWN, HOPE IT'S GOOD
belated, but nope, you've misinterpreted me entirely, and we do agree. i'm sure some people would take the attitude of "what the heck, i'll just buy it anyway" though.

Quote:
I don't understand why anybody cares about the rest of Nintendo's composers. They suck.
there's this thing called music preference, wherein different people enjoy different styles and elements in music. who'd have thought?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
[...]

there's this thing called music preference, wherein different people enjoy different styles and elements in music. who'd have thought?
I would be one of those people. My taste in music has always been eclectic, more so after growing out of my early teens, but VGM has truly helped me appreciate music even more.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Yes, I'm aware people have differing opinions. My opinion happens to be that Nintendo's sound team, aside from a couple of people, is garbage.

Thanks for the sarcasm all the same, smartass.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 08:25 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
Thanks for the sarcasm all the same, smartass.
If you make such
Quote:
comments, then you should be prepared

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Jan 8, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:18 AM

----------

Last edited by Calatia; Jun 5, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Can you imagine how much better Mario Galaxy's soundtrack would have turned out had Wakai been at the helm instead of Yokota? Someone needs to give him an actual orchestra and a good game to score.

I'm curious to know why you and Jormungand feel that Hajime Wakai is Nintendo's best orchestral composer.

Would it have anything to do with Starfox 64's soundtrack (easily his best score in my opinion) or some other project?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenology View Post
Would it have anything to do with Starfox 64's soundtrack (easily his best score in my opinion) or some other project?
That, and Starfox Assault.

Regrettably, he is rarely called to do such work anymore. I just don't get how Nintendo decides on its composers. They have listened to Star Fox 64, right? It's pretty obvious to me who should be doing the next Zelda game, but clearly I'm in the minority!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenology View Post
I'm curious to know why you and Jormungand feel that Hajime Wakai is Nintendo's best orchestral composer.

For me, it's just Starfox 64. He didn't work on Starfox Assault.

I don't like any of his other game scores (that I've heard), but I don't believe he's been allowed to touch an orchestra since. This needs to change, pronto.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:38 PM

@ Jormungand and Raizen

I agree with the both of you - I thought his Starfox 64 score was one of the best soundtracks on the N64. And it's sad he's not getting on huge projects. Like seriously, I don't know how Ryo Nagamatsu is getting his pieces performed by a 60 piece orchestra over Hajime Wakai.

I would love for Wakai to get a big project, like a Zelda. I wonder who's scoring Skyward Sword now that I think about it... Nagata did well with Wind Waker, Minegishi did a wonderful job on Twilight Princess, perhaps maybe it's Wakai's turn to step up to bat?

Last edited by Kenology; Mar 16, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:33 AM

if anything, for Wakai, i would like to hear more fusion style stuff like his two songs for F-Zero X. ¯\(°_o)/¯