VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 17, 2022, 06:51 PM

Default For those wonderful games that never came with an album

I find YouTube being a good resource for albums to games that never had an official album.

Games like Fire Power 2000. Is there any games with out official albums you listen to or wish there was something out for them?
Old May 18, 2022, 11:07 PM

There's already a thread somewhat about this here - https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2282

Doesn't YouTube encode the audio, or do I remember wrong? In case the answer is yes, YT is rife with crappy quality stuff.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old May 19, 2022, 05:43 AM

I don't get why people consider YouTube and Silvasunner the preservation of video game music when you can go to VGMrips or Zophar or SMSPower and play the files on foobar.
Old May 24, 2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
I don't get why people consider YouTube and Silvasunner the preservation of video game music when you can go to VGMrips or Zophar or SMSPower and play the files on foobar.
Some people might not know about those sites. Others might know about the sites, but get a bad conscience for downloading gamerips, yet feel ok with listening to gamerips on YouTube.

I have a feeling that "preservation" means "easy access" for many people. Having gamerips on youtube is easy access for those who don't know about gamerip sites or don't want to download music.

I think easy access is an important part of preservation, because it allows for anyone to learn more about the music (especially important for historians, interviewers, etc.). But if YouTube would be the only place where gamerips exist, I would be worried. I hope that Nintendo's vaults are full of carefully preserved music files and original notes. I also hope that unofficial gamerips continue to have a home in the sites you mentioned.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:25 AM

YouTube is my go-to for some sweet gaming jams too. As for other games without official soundtracks, I'm all about this online solitaire game I found on joywallet.com. It's a great way to kill time and they've got some pretty chill background music. But if we're talking about games that need official soundtracks, I'd have to say I wish there was one for the classic card game Hearts. But yeah, I hear you on wanting more game soundtracks. Like, have you ever played Contra? That game has some serious bangers, but there's no official album for it.

Last edited by NemokSweft; Feb 23, 2023 at 07:01 AM.