VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 10, 2009, 05:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Booklet front & obi are borked in my browser (FF 3.0.7).
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:19 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I got the same problem with FF 2.0.0.20.

I renamed these covers yesterday, it was working..
Maybe we could fix this by renaming or / deleting-uploading again BUT i'll let the staff search why this kind of error (i have seen this on a few other albums) is happening.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:41 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I rejected some tracklist edits here, so I need to give an explanation.

1.) For tracks that are in English on the original tracklist, we generally follow the original capitalization and spelling

2.) We use American English spellings instead of British/Canadian/etc. (i.e. Center vs. Centre) This isn't to say that one is more correct than the other; it's just that we're based out of the US.

Also, how do we know that 43 is Knight Head vs Night Head?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:33 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I think track 41 may be better rendered as "Carefree Peddler" or such.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Fixed the orientation of the front cover. It's policy to orient the title to reflect how it should be viewed, not how it's actually printed relative to the booklet.

Also, fixed the titles. The front & back are both listed as "Castlevania Circle of the Moon & Castlevania Concerto of Midnight Sun Original Soundtrack". It's already in English, so there's no reason to change it. You got the obi for the the Romaji and Original names.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Feb 27, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Fixed the orientation of the front cover. It's policy to orient the title to reflect how it should be viewed, not how it's actually printed relative to the booklet.
If you want to stay consistent with this rule there's also LC1609~10 to flip on its side. I would however reconsider this stance, as keeping the images the way they are originally presented is more true to the source; also there could be cases where one cannot really say "how" it should be viewed; and finally, anyone can easily flip them if they want.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Personally, I think this should be taken care of by Javascript. I'll work on it soon.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:43 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Actually, we've been reorienting "Booklet Front" and "Front" to be readable, and leaving "Case Front" as the accurate view of how it would be viewed on the shelf.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:34 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Actually, we've been reorienting "Booklet Front" and "Front" to be readable, and leaving "Case Front" as the accurate view of how it would be viewed on the shelf.
I wasn't aware, but that seems sensible to me. Perhaps you should keep that as a note for a possible Album Scans guidelines thread.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Based on SS's newly proposed album title guidelines, and to be consistent with the other GBA Castlevania album, I'm swapping the album titles again.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:31 AM

For all the tracks listed without a composer.. those are done by KONAMI KUKEIHA CLUB, or am I wrong? I feel uncertain.. even while staring at the booklet.
Well, actually the thing that makes me wonder is why they are not listed as a composer if they did.

edit: I just looked at my tags for this soundtrack (forgot I had it), and I have the tracks as KONAMI KUKEIHA CLUB, so I am guessing it's safe to credit them.

Last edited by mercenary09; Apr 3, 2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Tracks 20~45: from Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

Tracks originally from:

Track 44: from Castlevania / Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (FC)
Quote:
Sound Composer:

Concerto of Midnight Sun / Soshiro Hokkai (tr20~41)
Michiru Yamane (tr42~44)
Does this mean that Yamane composed for either Castlevania or Castlevania III?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:27 AM

Yamane's credit should mean that she composed the original tracks (42 and 43) and arranged/newly composed borrowed tracks (44); the same should go for every other mention. The original composers are credited with "Original Sound Composed by KONAMI KUKEIHA CLUB".

(...Why didn't they just put BnC and AoM together? They're perfect for each other.)

Last edited by Despatche; Apr 13, 2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:59 PM

A pity this doesn't include a general arranger credit. Despite the composer discrepancies, all the Circle of the Moon tracks have a similar sound to them and most of the reused tunes have additional bits that the originals lacked. Yamane did something similar for VK2K2, anyhow, and still gets named.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:04 AM

Made me wonder why we have "byakuya no concerto" in one of the alternative titles. Romanizing the name should have "byakuya no kyōsōkyoku" (or kyousoukyoku, if you prefer) in it. "Byakuya no concerto" would make as much sense as "white night's kyōsōkyoku", right? I suggest that it be changed to the full romanization, not keep it as the half-romaji, half-translation it is now.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousto View Post
Made me wonder why we have "byakuya no concerto" in one of the alternative titles. Romanizing the name should have "byakuya no kyōsōkyoku" (or kyousoukyoku, if you prefer) in it. "Byakuya no concerto" would make as much sense as "white night's kyōsōkyoku", right? I suggest that it be changed to the full romanization, not keep it as the half-romaji, half-translation it is now.
sorry but it has sense to have byakuya no cencerto, the obi has the title written in japanese with its reading above (aka furigana) -> kyousoukyoku as concerto, so it won't be changed
however, katakana of concerto could be added in the japanese title
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:17 PM

I see both arguments. There is 狂想曲 (rhapsody) and there is 協奏曲 (concerto) and the second one is what's used here. However, both words are pronounced the same way (kyousoukyoku), so writing コンチェルト above 協奏曲 lets you know which one they meant. At the same time, the word 協奏曲 is not the word コンチェルト. It's kyousoukyoku, not koncheruto (concerto). I see that they were letting the reader know which one they meant, but that is the idea of furigana: it supplies information about readings, not how to write something. It's still written as kyousoukyoku, because that is 協奏曲.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think when we romanize a Japanese word, we are romanizing how to read it, not how to write it.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 01:43 PM

When I take a look at the Castlevania franchise page this album shows up as "Unclassified" for some reason, despite appearing as "Commercial, Arrangement" on the OSTs page. Can a trusted editor please fix this bug?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post
I see both arguments. There is 狂想曲 (rhapsody) and there is 協奏曲 (concerto) and the second one is what's used here. However, both words are pronounced the same way (kyousoukyoku), so writing コンチェルト above 協奏曲 lets you know which one they meant. At the same time, the word 協奏曲 is not the word コンチェルト. It's kyousoukyoku, not koncheruto (concerto). I see that they were letting the reader know which one they meant, but that is the idea of furigana: it supplies information about readings, not how to write something. It's still written as kyousoukyoku, because that is 協奏曲.
Late, but this is an extremely common phenomenon in Japanese media, and is handled in a very specific and very obvious way. What has been said is absolutely correct; you still write out the kanji and they have the same meaning, but you pronounce them in a completely different way, and romanization must follow this because it is a system specifically concerning the pronunciation of Japanese words. Furigana completely defines or even replaces how to pronounce the original word or phrase, which is also how we get so many great puns.

In Japan, Dragon Ball Super is indeed pronounced "dragon ball super", despite that big fat "超" kanji there normally having a totally different pronunciation. Similarly, the descriptor for Cyber Formula is always pronounced "future grand prix"; the spoken "future" completely stands in for the the clearly printed "新世紀" phrase. Likewise, over in Japan, the title of this game is always pronounced "byakuya no concerto". You are being told that "concerto" is a valid way of pronouncing "協奏曲" for the purposes of this game, and the simplified form of "白夜の協奏曲" is always "びゃくやのコンチェルト" without fail.

This is different, but related to, official translations. We have a fantastic example of that right here as well: you'll note the "Concerto of Midnight Sun" clearly on display in this album (it's in other places as well IIRC). You'll pretty much never hear that phrase in Japan because they use the above, and you'll never hear that phrase in the west because they have "Harmony of Dissonance". But you're given the impression that "Concerto of Midnight Sun" is an acceptable alternative to "白夜の協奏曲", if you ever wanted to use it. It's also closer to the source than "Harmony of Dissonance", because of its meaning... and because it is a title dictated by the same organization responsible for the main "白夜の協奏曲" title and also meant for the same market as the main. "Harmony of Dissonance", on the other hand, is a largely unrelated title dictated by a totally different arm of that organization for a totally different market, completely regardless of how much that arm understands or feels about the original title.

In fact, the meaning is irrelevant; if "Harmony of Dissonance" was the official translation and "Concerto of Midnight Sun" was the localized title instead, we would have the exact same situation, even though the "Harmony of Dissonance" phrase has nothing to do with "白夜の協奏曲". We even have an example of this on the album here; you see that "Castlevania" is replacing "悪魔城ドラキュラ" wholesale for CotM's mention, even though the two terms are only vaguely related in meaning. Part of this has to do with Konami temporarily rebranding the series "Castlevania" in Japan at this point, but this does not subtract from the point that "Castlevania" is being used as an acceptable alternative to "悪魔城ドラキュラ" here. And yes, this is despite "Castlevania" being created as a localized title by a different arm for a different market in the first place.

This is the power that a creator has over naming their work. This principle is not to be ignored or belittled for any reason, no matter how "insane" it may seem to get. I always hear this horror story of creators acting foolish just to troll people, and this is used as an excuse to degrade the entire principle. Thing is, titles are such a simple idea that it's not really possible to troll people in such a way without also trolling yourself. We're supposed to shun such creators anyway, like we do with those crazy Japanese light novel authors with their paragraph-long titles; this is basically a funny meme that keeps getting passed around authors, probably trying to outdo each other. For what it's worth, the official story is that the light novel meme started off as a way to grab the attention of buyers. Making a really long title is a pretty simple trick, all things considered. Western authors used to do it all the time, and it was not done to troll people at all like it is in Japan now, nor does it seem like it was done to distinguish a work seeing as pretty much everyone did it.

Last edited by Despatche; Jan 17, 2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 06:41 PM

Here's the titles listed in Harmony of Dissonance's Sound Mode for anyone who may have been curious.
Unrelated, but I found it odd that "血脈の印" was translated differently on the Amazon/iTunes releases for CoM/HoD & 64. The former translates it as "Sign of Bloodlines" while the later went with "Sign of Blood Relationship."

00 Title BGM 1
01 Title BGM 2
02 Name Entry
03 Prologue Theme of MAXIM KISCHINE
04 Entrance (Area BGM) Theme of JUSTE BELMONT
05 Marble Corridor (Area BGM)
06 Shrine of the Apostates (Area BGM)
07 Luminous Cavern (Area BGM)
08 Aqueduct of Dragons (Area BGM)
09 Chapel of Dissonance (Area BGM)
10 Clock Tower (Area BGM)
11 Skeleton Cave (Area BGM)
12 Castle (Area BGM)
13 Theme of DEATH
14 Boss (Loop Pattern A)
15 Boss (Loop Pattern B)
16 Boss (Loop Pattern C)
17 Epilogue 1
18 Game Over
19 Theme of DRACULA
20 Last Battle
21 Epilogue 2 Theme of LYDIE ERLANGER
22 Credits Theme of JUSTE BELMONT
23 Extra Stage Music 1
24 Extra Stage Music 2
25 Extra Stage Music 3 "Vampire Killer"
26 Extra Stage Music 4
27 Theme of MERCHANT
28 Theme of MAXIM KISCHINE
29 Theme of LYDIE ERLANGER
30 The Item Collection Room BGM

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jul 25, 2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 06:13 PM

Did this come with a registration card?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
Unrelated, but I found it odd that "血脈の印" was translated differently on the Amazon/iTunes releases for CoM/HoD & 64. The former translates it as "Sign of Bloodlines" while the later went with "Sign of Blood Relationship."
That's because Konami just took VGMdb's track lists when they added the Castlevania soundtracks to iTunes, Spotify and Google Play somewhere around May 7, 2019!

We had (and still have) different translations of the track title for Circle of the Moon and Castlevania 64, so the discrepancy is our fault.

The only *real* official translation of the title by Konami to this day is "Sign of Blood Pulse" which is a kanji-for-kanji translation that doesn't seem right. Per Circle of the Moon's JASRAC entry, we know it's pronounced "ketsumyaku no shirushi".
Old Nov 24, 2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
That's because Konami just took VGMdb's track lists when they added the Castlevania soundtracks to iTunes, Spotify and Google Play somewhere around May 7, 2019!

We had (and still have) different translations of the track title for Circle of the Moon and Castlevania 64, so the discrepancy is our fault.

The only *real* official translation of the title by Konami to this day is "Sign of Blood Pulse" which is a kanji-for-kanji translation that doesn't seem right. Per Circle of the Moon's JASRAC entry, we know it's pronounced "ketsumyaku no shirushi".
Wow, really? I thought there'd be a little more care when a company made a music DL available when the titles are in a different language. Still, I guess being careful or not being careful can be the same thing. "Icy Chin," lol.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Wow, really? I thought there'd be a little more care when a company made a music DL available when the titles are in a different language. Still, I guess being careful or not being careful can be the same thing. "Icy Chin," lol.
You mean the company that gave us gems such as "Bloody Teas" (yum)? I'm not sure all of their translations on digital services are lifted from VGMdb but the ones for this album definitely are.

I just found out there actually *is* another official translation: the Music Player feature in the Castlevania Advance Collection (in-game track lists may be slightly different, can't check). It translates 血脈の印 as "Mark of the Bloodline" but it also uses some VGMdb translations such as "Clockwork Mansion" and "Repose of Souls". The IGAvania track titles there are mostly adopted from these games' Sound Mode with slight changes. The Dracula XX translations are an odd mix of several official and unofficial sources.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
You mean the company that gave us gems such as "Bloody Teas" (yum)? I'm not sure all of their translations on digital services are lifted from VGMdb but the ones for this album definitely are.
I know I acted shocked, but I really shouldn't have, should I? I can't help but remember hearing that companies have lifted fan made titles from gamerips/SPC sets before, so....
Old Nov 28, 2022, 02:32 AM

Quote:
I just found out there actually *is* another official translation: the Music Player feature in the Castlevania Advance Collection (in-game track lists may be slightly different, can't check). It translates 血脈の印 as "Mark of the Bloodline" but it also uses some VGMdb translations such as "Clockwork Mansion" and "Repose of Souls". The IGAvania track titles there are mostly adopted from these games' Sound Mode with slight changes. The Dracula XX translations are an odd mix of several official and unofficial sources.
I can't comment on the in-game sound test for the Advance Collection, but the site listings for Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance appear to mostly match their GBA sound tests. The only discrepancies that I noticed were "Shrine of the Apostate" instead of "Shrine of the Apostates" and "Battle for the Throne" instead of "Throne Fights." The Dracula X tracks appear to line up with the titles used on the vinyl with the exception of "Wild Dance in Phantasmic Hell" ("Dance of Phantasms" on the vinyl) which is the more literal translation of "獄幻界乱舞." I'm not sure about Circle of the Moon, the iTunes release used "Clockwork Mansion" as well though. I think the only alternative translation featured on a official release was on the Super Castlevania IV vinyl which went with the more literal translation of "Mechanical Trick Mansion." "Mark of the Bloodline" is probably the best of the three official translations for "血脈の印," "Sign of Blood Relationship" and "Sign of Bloodlines" always sounded a bit strange to me.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 02:28 PM

For archival purposes, here are the twelve Castlevania albums uploaded to iTunes, Spotify and Google Play in May 2019:

Akumajo Dracula X Gekka no Nocturne Original Game Soundtrack SELECTION
Akumajo Dracula Mokushiroku (Original Game Soundtrack) [Selection]
Akumajo Chronicle Akumajo Dracula (Original Soundtrack)
Akumajo Dracula Circle of the Moon & Castlevania Concerto of Midnight Sun Original Soundtrack
Castlevania Original Soundtrack
Akumajo Dracula Yami No Juin Original Soundtrack Selection
Castlevania Akatsuki no Minuet & Akumajo Dracula Sougetsu no Juujika Original Soundtrack
Akumajo Dracula Gallery of Labyrinth Original Soundtrack Selection
Akumajo Dracula X Chronicle (Original Soundtrack)
Akumajo Dracula Ubawareta kokuin Original Soundtrack
Akumajo Dracula Judgment Original Soundtrack
Akumajo Dracula Harmony of Despair ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK SELECTION

Edit: There are at least four Castlevania soundtracks which had been released on iTunes in 2007 but which were later delisted. These had actual translations by Konami, though quite horrible ones at that:

Konami Game Music: Classic Castlevania (Original Game Soundtrack) [Castlevania FDS soundtrack = apparently tracks 19-30 from KICA-1005 and Haunted Castle arcade soundtrack = apparently tracks 33-47 from K30X-7705]
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (Original Game Soundtrack)
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (Original Game Soundtrack)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Original Game Soundtrack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
I'm not sure about Circle of the Moon, the iTunes release used "Clockwork Mansion" as well though. I think the only alternative translation featured on a official release was on the Super Castlevania IV vinyl which went with the more literal translation of "Mechanical Trick Mansion."
As I said, this album copied the VGMdb track list verbatim (excepting some punctuation changes probably dictated by the online services). Hence "Clockwork Mansion". Even "Mechanical Trick Mansion" comes from VGMdb which also looks to be the source for Mondo's Super Castlevania IV vinyl track list with one exception. As for the translations of that title, the first is plain wrong and the second is clunky and too literal. I'd translate "karakuri" as "contraptions" here, that's exactly what comes to mind for the tricks and traps in that stage. The other part is harder to convey in English. The stage is depicted on the rightmost edge of the game map. Block 4-1 starts out in a dungeon and ends up in a hallway with elaborate windows, but calling this a mansion is pushing it. Up until block 4-2, you're actually climbing the tower on the map but then the room rotates 180 degrees and you should be moving...downwards again? In block 4-3 you're in a tube-like hallway that rotates around you (probably still the tower), then in block 4-4 you move further upwards until you end up in the building with the large gates from the map, back at ground level with the forest next to it being visible. Now try to find a word that wraps all that up. Nintendo Power calls it the Outer Keep with the Endless Tower, the Rotating Chamber, the Spinning Hall and the Lower Tower. I'd probably go with something along the lines of "An Edifice Full of Contraptions" or "Edifice of Contraptions" for short.

Last edited by zierts; Sep 23, 2023 at 03:26 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
As I said, this album copied the VGMdb track list verbatim (excepting some punctuation changes probably dictated by the online services). Hence "Clockwork Mansion". Even "Mechanical Trick Mansion" comes from VGMdb which also looks to be the source for Mondo's Super Castlevania IV vinyl track list with one exception. As for the translations of that title, the first is plain wrong and the second is clunky and too literal. I'd translate "karakuri" as "contraptions" here, that's exactly what comes to mind for the tricks and traps in that stage. The other part is harder to convey in English. The stage is depicted on the rightmost edge of the game map. Block 4-1 starts out in a dungeon and ends up in a hallway with elaborate windows, but calling this a mansion is pushing it. Up until block 4-2, you're actually climbing the tower on the map but then the room rotates 180 degrees and you should be moving...downwards again? In block 4-3 you're in a tube-like hallway that rotates around you (probably still the tower), then in block 4-4 you move further upwards until you end up in the building with the large gates from the map, back at ground level with the forest next to it being visible. Now try to find a word that wraps all that up. Nintendo Power calls it the Outer Keep with the Endless Tower, the Rotating Chamber, the Spinning Hall and the Lower Tower. I'd probably go with something along the lines of "An Edifice Full of Contraptions" or "Edifice of Contraptions" for short.
My bad, I missed the earlier post where you explicitly stated that. Still, it's quite strange that they would lift fan translations right off of VGMDB rather than translating them officially. Especially since a lot of the digital albums appear to have at least a couple tracks that differ from both their respective in-game sound tests and those listed here, does this mean that they decided to translate some, but then not the rest for some unknown reason? Were the other more literal titles such as "Luminous Moss Cave" and several of Aria of Sorrow tracks also among those taken directly from VGMDB?

It really would be nice if they could just settle on definitive translations, it seems like nearly every track has at least two or more different titles. Like you have "Dance of Phantasms" on the vinyl, "Wild Dance in Phantasmic Hell" on VGMDB and iTunes and then there's DXC which didn't even bother to try translating it at all and just went with "Dark Desires." Still, I suppose this means that in most instances that the sound test titles such as "Insane Aristocracy" would be more "official" than their iTunes counterparts ("Young Nobleman of Madness.")

In regards to "カラクリ館" I'd personally probably go with something like "Trick House/Manor/Mansion" or "Trick Hall." A house or hall may not be the most accurate way of describing the location, but it isn't like the architecture of Dracula's castle makes a whole lot of sense anyway, being a "creature of chaos" and all. For whatever it's worth, I recall that Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire had a location titled "カラクリ屋敷" which was translated to "Trick House" in the English release.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Dec 17, 2022 at 09:11 PM.