VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old May 28, 2013, 12:30 PM

I wonder if there is a way to ask square-enix for an official english tracklist via twitter, facebook or whatever
because ffiv and ffvi have one but not ffv :/

or maybe by making an online petition?
Old May 28, 2013, 12:49 PM

And by online petition, you mean something you could have just filled out yourself with a few hundred usernames and then submitted to them and say "Look at all the people who want this" and then they still don't care?

Those things don't do anything, man =/

Also, by official English tracklist, do you mean like the original FF6 OSV has in the booklet, and like FF3? Or is this specifically a remaster thing? Because the original OSV English tracklists don't match up with the Japanese ones, so they were always kind of weird to me.
Old May 28, 2013, 01:16 PM

I'm well aware that petitions have no great impact, but it's better than nothing (and that was just an idea)

they could maybe update ffiv and ffvi tracklists too
personally, I'd like a tracklist in the same vein as sfc ones (since ffiii isn't sfc, I'll omit it)

edit: if you mean ffiii fc/ds, because I'm not really a fan of kefka's domain

Last edited by Phonograph; May 28, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old May 28, 2013, 03:00 PM

Oh yeah, when I say FF3, I really mean FF3. Not the fake USA FF3 which was really FF6. Why do we do stuff like that... every time I see a Shin Sangokumusou soundtrack coming out, I have to remember to add a number to figure out which game they're on in the USA -__-
Old May 28, 2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
every time I see a Shin Sangokumusou soundtrack coming out, I have to remember to add a number to figure out which game they're on in the USA -__-
I don't find the "weird" naming of the Dynasty Warriors series so... weird. The first game was a fighting game released on PlayStation (Sangokumusou), and America/Europe simply stayed on that path with subsequent chapters. It actually looks like the Japanese have it weird, uselessly adding a Shin instead of adding a "2" which should have been there, sucks that they never released the Dynasty Warriors 2 Original Soundtrack as a standalone product, we had to wait for the Ultimate Box.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; May 28, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:15 AM

I didn't say it was weird, I was more implying that it's just lame. I know about the original Dynasty Warriors / Sangokumusou. I'm not sure how you're judging whether or not a part of the title is "useless" though, and in this case you're quite frankly just off-base with it because the "Shin" in the title actually makes a lot of sense considering, umm, they're totally different games. Like you mentioned, the first game is a fighting game. The "next" game wasn't a "next" game at all; it was a practically a completely new game, just using the same characters. But KOEI had been using those same characters since Genghis Khan, and they're still not calling the games that.

The original creators made a game that was so different from what it spun off of that they gave it a new name to distinguish it, and then it got to America and some guys thought that distinguishing it from a game totally different than it was "useless" just like you think, and hence the names don't make sense, and we're a number off.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:56 AM

Consistency, perhaps trademarks issues. Resident Evil 4, for instance, departed from the previous chapter in the series... Yet, they still called that crappy Resident Evil... Resident Evil. If we want to move the discussion to core elements, the subsequent chapters of Dynasty Warriors surely evolved everything, but kept the basic formula intact: you didn't get to fight general with your same allegiance, unless they had defected at some point - for story purposes - and the same thing happened in the original fighting game: you picked a general from Wu? You'd only fight folks from Shoku and Gi.

The numbering that Dynasty Warriors gets outside of Japan still makes sense, it may become confusing, but I blame it on the Japanese: instead of going "Shin" they could have merely gone with Sangokumusou 2->3->4... That PlayStation 2 game still counts as a sequel.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old May 29, 2013, 05:29 AM

The fact that the very first Dynasty Warriors is a traditional 1 on 1 fighting game is random trivia at this point. I'm surprised they haven't tried to remake it.

Me, I burned out on DW4 a long time ago and I was done after that. But that game had so much to do in it! They probably could've ended it after that and I would've been satisfied.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
instead of going "Shin" they could have merely gone with Sangokumusou 2->3->4... That PlayStation 2 game still counts as a sequel.
Right, just like Sengoku Basara X is a direct sequel of Sengoku Basara, which is the exact same case here but just the other way around: the army vs. army game came first, then the fighting game came later. And by your definition, they should have called "Sengoku Basara X", "Sengoku Basara 2" because it's the same series and uses the same characters. The argument makes no sense, man, they are completely different games.

Did you ever think of this? There could be a Sengoku Basara X 2. There could also be a Sangokumusou 2. And then you'd know that THOSE are the sequel to the fighting games, and are therefore fighting games themselves. Shin Sangokumusou is a NEW GAME. It has its own sequels.

Anyway, I'm not going to try to beat sense into you anymore, it seems pointless.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 05:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Anybody know what a remastered version is?

Last edited by Eriol; Aug 6, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 02:51 PM
Trusted Editor

Louder songs and more loops, if it's like the FF4 "remastered" album.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Louder songs and more loops, if it's like the FF4 "remastered" album.
I hadn't heard anything conclusive on the FFIV remastering. Is it just a loudness war thing? Boosting amplification en-masse without any adjusting of levels between the different tracks within a given tune? ... Has anyone done any good thorough analysis on this?

(all I've read about FFIV remaster was how they screwed up on the initial print and had to replace a disc ...)
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:15 AM

^ I've been too lazy. I've kind of wanted to since I know the music so well, but each time I am like, "eh screw it, I got the original...I'll just rock out to that".

I just wonder why they feel the SNES soundtracks need any type of remastering. To me, the FF SNES trilogy is some of the best sounding VGM ever put to disc. Obviously, FF4 benefits from loops, but FFV and FFVI were looped just fine.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I agree that the old prints sound fantastic. I haven't listened to the "remaster" yet ... so it's like ... how could it get better? The same question would remain true for Chrono Trigger.

FWIW I prefer the "remaster" version of Vagrant Story. Disc 1 track 3, the extended prologue music ... I think the drums come out better.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:19 AM

It's probably largely so that they have the SNES music available on the Square Enix label, unlike the Original Sound Versions. The most recent and most available versions will be theirs. I expect most people have been buying pre-owned copies of the original albums from other fans for years, for which Square Enix gets no money.

The one opinion I've encountered so far is not very positive. I'd like to do a volume-matched back-to-back comparison, but I don't think there are many people outside Japan who even have theirs yet.

I think both versions of Vagrant Story sound pretty nasty compared to the audio in the actual game.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:07 AM

True...I didn't even realize until recently that the 3 SNES OSV's were OOP.

Oh well, good for me. It means my original prints will go up in value. Not that they're going anywhere, but still.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:33 PM

The difference between original and remaster FFIV isn't huge. It's a clear difference but it's very far from anywhere near clipped, so no worries about 'loudness war' on it.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:07 PM

I haven't noticed any huge difference in volume from the original to the remaster, but there's definitely no brickwalling. I'm pretty happy with the subtle change and am glad that beyond looping, the difference isn't much. I mean, the SFC original prints were pretty well mastered, so there was only so much of a difference that I'd want to hear between masterings.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:04 PM

I really can't tell the difference between the OSV and Remaster for V. iTunes thought the Remaster OST was the OSV when the tracklisting came up, though, so no extra tracks or anything special.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:54 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I wonder if there is a way to ask square-enix for an official english tracklist via twitter, facebook or whatever
because ffiv and ffvi have one but not ffv :/
Your wish shall be granted: Click
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidBeast View Post
Your wish shall be granted: Click
oh great, at last =)
so no more "ahead on our way" etc

Last edited by Phonograph; Aug 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
oh great, at last =)
so no more "ahead on our way" etc
214 will remain The Prelude Of Empty Skies AFAIC, at least in my heart ^^;
Old Aug 18, 2013, 05:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The English track names seem to use the translation from the PS1 version as opposed to more recent ones (X-death > Exdeath, Reina > Lenna). Very strange.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:43 PM

They were like that in the GBA's FFV music player, too. Notice that for IV they still use Tower of Bab-il instead of Babel/Babil even though the latter is what's been used proper since the PSX translation.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:06 PM

Did the same thing Dancey did for FFIV Remaster OST tracklist - changed the english tracklist to the one that's on the back of the set.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 03:01 PM
Trusted Editor

Came across this typo as I was pulling translations for the Final Fantasy 30th 1987-2017 Bluray, verified with scans:

ビッグブリッの死闘 → ビッグブリッの死闘
Old Aug 26, 2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
The English track names seem to use the translation from the PS1 version as opposed to more recent ones (X-death > Exdeath, Reina > Lenna). Very strange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
They were like that in the GBA's FFV music player, too. Notice that for IV they still use Tower of Bab-il instead of Babel/Babil even though the latter is what's been used proper since the PSX translation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James O View Post
Did the same thing Dancey did for FFIV Remaster OST tracklist - changed the english tracklist to the one that's on the back of the set.
I did a little comparison between the different FF5 soundtracks. We have N33D-013~4 (original release and its reprints), FFFB-0001~6 (GBA soundtrack), N/A (iTunes, Spotify), SQEX-10381~2 (Remaster Version) and SQEX-50142 (Pixel Remaster soundtrack). Disregarding the few official English titles we got with the Dear Friends and Piano Collections albums, only the iTunes/Spotify releases, Remaster Version and Pixel Remaster soundtrack have official English track lists which in turn originated from the GBA versions Music Player feature. So these would have been translated by Erin M. Ellis or Tom Slattery. Here's a list of the discrepancies between the individual track lists (tracks only listed if there are changes in some way):

Code:
	GBA Music Player		iTunes			Spotify			Remaster Version	Pixel Remaster		Dear Friends/Piano Collections
1-01	Main Theme of Final Fantasy V	"			"			"			"			Ahead on Our Way
1-02	Opening Theme			"			"			"			"			A Presentiment
1-03	Four Hearts
1-04	Hurry! Hurry!
1-05	Reina's Theme			"			"			"			"			Lenna's Theme
1-06	Dungeon				"			"			"			"			Fate in Haze
1-07	Battle 1
1-08	Victory Fanfare
1-09	Requiem
1-10	Pirates Ahoy
1-11	Town Theme			"			"			"			"			Tenderness in the Air
1-12	Good Night
1-13	Sealed Away
1-14	Cursed Lands
1-15	Deception
1-16	Harvest
1-17	To the North Mountain
1-18	Close Call
1-19	Battle 2
1-20	Spreading Grand Wings
1-21	Royal Palace
1-22	Fire Ship
1-23	Run!				Run !			Run !			Run !			Run!			N/A
1-24	Sorrows of Parting
1-25	Library of Ancients
1-26	Reminiscence
1-27	Musica Machina
1-28	The Day Will Come
1-29	What?				What ?			What ?			What ?			What?			N/A
1-30	Mambo de Chocobo
1-31	Home, Sweet Home		"			Home, sweet Home	Home, sweet Home	Home, Sweet Home	My Home, Sweet Home
1-32	Music Box
1-33	The Airship
1-34	The Evil Lord X-Death		"			"			"			The Evil Lord Exdeath	N/A

2-01	X-Death's Castle		"			X-death's Castle	X-death's Castle	Exdeath's Castle	N/A
2-02	The Dawn Warriors
2-03	Battle at the Big Bridge	"			"			"			"			Battle with Gilgamesh
2-04	Unknown Lands
2-05	Moogles' Theme			"			"			"			"			Critter Tripper Fritter!?
2-06	The Castle of Dawn
2-07	Beyond the Deep Blue Sea
2-08	Legend of the Deep Forest	"			"			"			"			As I Feel, You Feel
2-09	Tycoon Waltz			"			"			"			"			Waltz Suomi / Waltz Clavier
2-10	Boko's Theme
2-11	A New World			"			"			"			"			The Land Unknown
2-12	Sealed Book
2-13	Slumber of Ancient Earth	"			"			"			"			Intension of the Earth
2-14	Prelude to the Void
2-15	In Search of Light
2-16	The Decisive Battle
2-17	The Final Battle
2-18	The Silent Beyond
2-19	Dear Friends
2-20	Final Fantasy			FINAL FANTASY		Final Fantasy		Final Fantasy		Final Fantasy		N/A
2-21	Ending Theme			"			"			"			"			The New Origin
2-22	The Prelude
2-23	Fanfare 1			N/A			N/A			Fanfare 1		Fanfare 1		N/A
2-24	Fanfare 2			N/A			N/A			Fanfare 2		Fanfare 2		N/A
2-25	I'm a Dancer			N/A			N/A			I'm a Dancer		I'm a Dancer		N/A
2-26	Piano Lesson 1			N/A			N/A			Piano Lesson 1		Piano Lesson 1		N/A
2-27	Piano Lesson 2			N/A			N/A			Piano Lesson 2		Piano Lesson 2		N/A
2-28	Piano Lesson 3			N/A			N/A			Piano Lesson 3		Piano Lesson 3		N/A
2-29	Piano Lesson 4			N/A			N/A			Piano Lesson 4		Piano Lesson 4		N/A
2-30	Piano Lesson 5			N/A			N/A			Piano Lesson 5		Piano Lesson 5		N/A
2-31	Piano Lesson 6			N/A			N/A			Piano Lesson 6		Piano Lesson 6		N/A
2-32	Piano Lesson 7			N/A			N/A			Piano Lesson 7		Piano Lesson 7		N/A
2-33	Piano Lesson 8			N/A			N/A			Piano Lesson 8		Piano Lesson 8		N/A

1-23	Run! (Introless Version)	N/A			N/A			N/A			N/A			N/A
"Run! (Introless Version)" comes immediately after "Run!" in the GBA Music Player, but I put it at the bottom here. As for the discrepancies, it's minor punctuation and capitalization stuff (" means the title is the same as what's to the left). Naturally, they went with the worst and most typo-ridden of them all to print on the Remaster Version (namely, the Spotify one) when they could have just used the clean GBA track list with the obvious name changes to Lenna and Exdeath that have been there in every English release starting from the GBA port, not to mention some Japanese materials. Stranger even, they kept Reina and switched to Exdeath in the English Pixel Remaster soundtrack track list. It's really odd sometimes how these things come to be.

Last edited by zierts; Aug 26, 2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 06:44 PM

Not to be a bother, but I am working on something VGM related and I have a section on FFV's music, but I can't seem to remember the other name for "Moogles' Theme"? Didn't it have another, unofficial name like "Critter Jitter Fitter" or something at one point, or am I misremembering?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 02:01 AM
VGMdb Staff

You're remembering correctly (almost), "Critter Tripper Fritter!?" is the English title used on the Dear Friends arrange album.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
You're remembering correctly (almost), "Critter Tripper Fritter!?" is the English title used on the Dear Friends arrange album.
THANK YOU! Now I don't feel insane. That's what I was looking for.

Edit:

Oh, that album is also where we get "Tenderness In The Air" and "Fate In Haze" as well. I could remember those ones, was a litttle rusty on the Moogle one.

Last edited by Brad Evans II; Jan 8, 2024 at 09:06 PM.