VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:21 PM

I never saw this album listing before, even though it was added back in 2011. This must be the production that connected Toshiharu with Harumi and Shigeru, and it's also the first time the NoBrandSounds label appeared? Somehow, somewhere, I'll get this album.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:35 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I have a suspicion the release date is out of whack, since No Brand was apparently founded in 2002.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:38 PM

Have you entered any of the listed URLs found in the booklet? I wonder if they still work, and if there's any information to be found about M.N.E. Perhaps NBS was the name of Toshiharu's freelance service post-Technosoft? He may not have actually formed an NBS label until much later—though he did it with the same coworkers, and then guys like Hyakutaro jumped on-board as well.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonEnRegalia View Post
Have you entered any of the listed URLs found in the booklet? I wonder if they still work, and if there's any information to be found about M.N.E.
I did before that first post and didn't find anything that seemed useful, although that doesn't mean I didn't miss something. Absolutely no idea what M.N.E is or who was part of it.

I did just realize though that most of the track titles here are the same as or similar to those of Yamanishi's tracks on WANDERINGS from the game Yamaitsuki (病憑き), which was released in 2003.

Quote:
Perhaps NBS was the name of Toshiharu's freelance service post-Technosoft? He may not have actually formed an NBS label until much later—though he did it with the same coworkers, and then guys like Hyakutaro jumped on-board as well.
Yamanishi went to Gust after Technosoft. One of Gust's first sound guys, actually.

I honestly don't know that much about No Brand, but Shigeru Nagasaki is identified as the head in a few of the albums we have, not Yamanishi.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:08 PM

I knew about his involvement at Gust, yet this soundtrack and WANDERINGS shows that he clearly did something on the side—what baffles me is why this is called Metal Dust, when parts of the same soundtrack were re-released in WANDERINGS years later. And, then, the game's name was Yamaitsuki!

—Don't know what to think, then. If I ever interview Toshiharu, I'll have to ask him. Shigeru is identified as head of the label, though he's more subordinate to either Toshiharu or Hyakutaro on the actual albums. Truly obscure stuff.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
I knew about his involvement at Gust, yet this soundtrack and WANDERINGS shows that he clearly did something on the side—what baffles me is why this is called Metal Dust, when parts of the same soundtrack were re-released in WANDERINGS years later. And, then, the game's name was Yamaitsuki!
I really do think the 1994 date being incorrect is a much simpler explanation than one that means (1) No Brand existed nearly ten years before anyone thought it did and (2) Yamanishi wrote a bunch of songs around 1994 and then reused them nearly ten years later for a game. The makers of Yamatsiuki, Virgin Cream, is even mentioned on the insert, and their first known game according to ErogameScape was released in 2002.

Not saying 1994 is impossible, but a release year of like 2004 would clear up every single chronology problem of this album in a snap.

Quote:
Shigeru is identified as head of the label, though he's more subordinate to either Toshiharu or Hyakutaro on the actual albums. Truly obscure stuff.
Nagasaki did contribute music to several games, but it seems he handled management/production for No Brand (and especially Factory Noise & AG later) too. Certainly not unusual for an organization.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:05 AM

That last tidbit regarding VirginCream pretty much nails it in: this definitely couldn't have been released in 1994 if the game hadn't been made, and NBS hadn't been commissioned to do the music. It makes a lot more sense that way.

—Although, if this was Hyakutaro instead, then perhaps the 1994 date would be plausible, as he tends to make a lot of refuse material that he uses later (read: DUST BOX and Claymore). However, Toshiharu does a better job of applying his abilities to unique styles and compositions, and doesn't just relegate himself to a signature style as easily as Hyakutaro does. And, even if it was Hyakutaro, then what's to say about Shigeru and Harumi, who probably didn't meet up with either Toshi or Hyaku until much later?

In the end, 2004 is our sane bet, lol. And because we know that the same songs were used for Yamaitsuki, then this is an OST too.

Last edited by DragoonEnRegalia; Jan 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Edit clarification (Original Soundtrack)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 03:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh, 2004 was just a year I made up on the spot! Didn't have any proof that this was released in 2004 or 2003 or 2005 or whenever.

Turns out I wasn't thorough enough in checking out those links, or else I would've figured out that M.N.E is the circle Moon Night Echo (ムーンナイトエコー), the first of those links on the insert. Did some digging, found an old product ordering page from 2003 saying they started shipping on March 17, but that you could get it early at Sunshine Creation 19 on March 16. It does also confirm the album contains music from Yamaitsuki, although I'm not sure if the music is arranged or the original game sound.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 01:25 PM

That's a question best reserved for later, then, as finding a copy would be something else.