VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:33 PM
Trusted Editor

Tracklist on this is absurd, I will need help with this:

A little back info for the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gochis%C5%8Dsan

Let's start with the album title:

Gochisosan Original Soundtrack "Gochiso Note". I guess "Gochisosan" is an informal way of saying "Gochisosama" which doesn't have a literal translation in English other than a generic "Thanks" for food. I don't know what a "Gochiso Note" is.

01 フェルメント前奏曲 --> Ferment Prelude
02 ゴチソウノォト --> I don't know what "Gochiso Note" is or means.
03 少女倶楽部 --> Girls Club
04 でんしんばしらのやうな --> Denshinbashira no yauna --> According to this website (http://kan-chan.stbbs.net/word/lesson.html), yau is an older or some sort of alternative way to say you so I guess this could be translated as "Like Telephone Poles". It could realistically even be Telegraph poles, given the time period of the show (Taisho/Showa eras), but I still think that's a bit early?
05 モスリンマアチ --> Mosurinmaachi = Mosurin Maachi? Mosurin is Muslin but not sure it really fits with Maachi, and I'm not sure why there's a double 'a' sound? It could be Machi for town/village but I don't really know how that makes any more sense.
06 走レ乙女 --> Hajire Otome, no idea what "Hajire" is. Is it a name? Can Otome be used as an honorific?
07 イシンデンシン? --> Telepathy?
08 オムレットワルツ --> Omelet Waltz
09 閑雅な食慾 --> Refined Appetite, I'm not sure how to translate ga here.
10 クロケット ベシャメルソース -> Croquette Béchamel Sauce
11 YUTARO
12 朝五ツ --> Morning Five-things, is Itsutsu like a counter, so Five Mornings?
13 鴨のファンファアレ --> Duck's Fanfare, they double extended the 'a' sound here, too, so maybe above in "Maachi" it's also not intended?
14 ルリハ --> Ruriha, Luria? A name? I don't know
15 スノピカ --> Snowpeak?
16 志ル古な憂鬱 --> Shiruko na Yaatsu, not sure if Shiruko is a name and I doin't know how 'na' works here.
17 拝啓グルタミンさん --> Dear Glutamine-san ...?
18 すきなヒトデ --> Favorite Starfish
19 キネマ モザイク --> Kinema Mosaic
20 オルゴオルの死 --> Orgel's Death
21 イル デカダン --> Iru Dekadan, intentionally spaced?
22 NUKADOKOにて --> At NUKADOKO
23 感傷的活動写真 --> Sentimental Activity Photograph
24 殿方につきまして --> With Regard to the Gentlemen
25 貴方ヲ送ル --> Anata o okuru --> ?
26 イチゴイチエ --> Once-in-a-lifetime Opportunity
27 焼氷有り■の唄 --> Yaki Goori Arimasu no Uta ? There is also a weird symbol that I don't know the kanji for in between "no uta" and "arimasu". It's a perfect square with a striaght line from the bottom left to the top right.
28 帝大生とハイカラリボン --> Teidai-sei to haikararibon ?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
Gochiso itself means feast so Gochiso Note would mean recipes of superb dinners written in a notebook, but I think keeping Gochiso Note is fine.

Quote:
05 モスリンマアチ --> Mosurinmaachi = Mosurin Maachi? Mosurin is Muslin but not sure it really fits with Maachi, and I'm not sure why there's a double 'a' sound? It could be Machi for town/village but I don't really know how that makes any more sense.
マアチ should be March.

Quote:
06 走レ乙女 --> Hajire Otome, no idea what "Hajire" is. Is it a name? Can Otome be used as an honorific?
It's the imperative form of 走る. "Run, Girls" (I know Maiden is commonly used for Otome though).

Quote:
09 閑雅な食慾 --> Refined Appetite, I'm not sure how to translate ga here.
閑雅 means something ladylike, elegant, gracious blah blah blah

Quote:
12 朝五ツ --> Morning Five-things, is Itsutsu like a counter, so Five Mornings?
5 o'clock
am 5:00

Quote:
16 志ル古な憂鬱 --> Shiruko na Yaatsu, not sure if Shiruko is a name and I doin't know how 'na' works here.
志ル古 is an alternative writing of Shiruko, but no idea what it means as an adjective. 憂鬱 is Yuutsu (Melancholy), so literally "Shirukoish Melancholy".

Quote:
21 イル デカダン --> Iru Dekadan, intentionally spaced?
Regardless of spaces, it's not Japanese. "el Decadent" or whatever else.

Quote:
25 貴方ヲ送ル --> Anata o okuru --> ?
"I'll walk you home".

Quote:
27 焼氷有り■の唄 --> Yaki Goori Arimasu no Uta ? There is also a weird symbol that I don't know the kanji for in between "no uta" and "arimasu". It's a perfect square with a striaght line from the bottom left to the top right.
I assume you mean 〼.

Quote:
28 帝大生とハイカラリボン --> Teidai-sei to haikararibon ?
帝大生 means a student of Imperial Universities (帝國大学) which were the top universities of the Empire of Japan at that time. So "Imperial University Student And High Color Ribbon".
Old Dec 29, 2013, 03:03 AM

it should be "gochisou no oto"
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:26 AM
Trusted Editor

Okay, that's progress, thanks. Here's the current version (still some holes):

01 Ferment Prelude
02 Gochisou Note
03 Girls Club
04 Like Power Poles
05 Mousseline March
06 Run, Girls
07 Telepathy?
08 Omelet Waltz
09 Ladylike Appetite
10 Croquette, Béchamel Sauce
11 YUTARO
12 Five in the Morning
13 Duck's Fanfare
14 Bay Laurel
15 Calpis
16 志ル古な憂鬱
17 Dear Glutamine-san
18 Favorite Starfish
19 Kinema Mosaic
20 Orgel's Death
21 El Decadent
22 At NUKADOKO
23 Sentimental Motion Picture
24 With Regard to the Gentlemen
25 I'll Walk You Home
26 Once-in-a-Lifetime Strawberry
27 There's Fried Ice Song
28 Imperial University Student and a High Color Ribbon

Last edited by dancey; Dec 30, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:40 AM
Trusted Editor

So I guess they used the masu mark for masu instead of actually using masu or something, which makes 27 make more sense but I don't know why they did that. I guess that makes it "There's Fried Ice Song" or "Song of There's Fried Ice" but both of those sound awful in English.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
It seems to have triple-meaning, and if the katakana is ノオト, I'd also go with Oto (Sound), but with ノォト, I think it's still supposed to be Note. The protagonist in the drama actually has ノォト, and it's a notebook. I'm not pushing it though.

Quote:
04 でんしんばしらのやうな --> Denshinbashira no yauna --> According to this website (http://kan-chan.stbbs.net/word/lesson.html), yau is an older or some sort of alternative way to say you so I guess this could be translated as "Like Telephone Poles". It could realistically even be Telegraph poles, given the time period of the show (Taisho/Showa eras), but I still think that's a bit early?
I think yours is fine. The poles do appear in the drama. It appears 'like a power pole' is used to call a tall person around that era.

Quote:
So I guess they used the masu mark for masu instead of actually using masu or something, which makes 27 make more sense but I don't know why they did that. I guess that makes it "There's Fried Ice Song" or "Song of There's Fried Ice" but both of those sound awful in English.
If it sounds awful, why not keep it in Romaji.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 03:49 PM
Trusted Editor

Track 02
Cedille is right on ノォト; ノォト means ノート (note) and nothing else here.
It's Meiko's cooking (paper) notebook. See picture below.

She writes down recipes as well as other cooking ideas/discoveries.
Translation for track 02 ゴチソウノォト could then be Cooking notes...

Track 14
ルリハ = ルリ葉 = ローレル = (bay) laurel
http://www.mimaki-family.com/item/list3_5-85-780.html
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%...82%B8%E3%83%A5

Track 15
Snowpeak = スノーピーク
Cannot be this, at least in this show.
スノピカ is an advertisement that can be seen on a magazine in the drama. See below picture.

Same as Meiko's note, it should be in fact read from right to left, as カピノス. Many believes it revert to Calpis (カルピス). Ad design and typefront are really close.

Track 16
志ル古 = Shiruko
Not a character in the show. Might refer to a sort of 汁粉 (Shiruko)
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%B1%81%E7%B2%89
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%9B%...82%8B%E3%81%93
http://eitaro-fukagawa.com/?pid=5062177
Old Dec 30, 2013, 04:13 PM
Trusted Editor

That is some great info, so it really only leaves 16 as a question and what the 'na' is doing to Shiruko, which is well beyond my capabilities. I thought maybe at first it was another typo or just written wrong (like March and Fanfare both have the extra 'a' in the katakana for some reason) but with all these weird nuances maybe not.

Calpis looks absolutely correct: http://kimigayosubs.weebly.com/gochi...-week-two.html shows image examples matching an old Calpis advertisement and comparing to the one used in the show. Clever way to get around royalties, thanks for showing that.

Oh, and I think it makes more sense to leave "Gochisou" alone as it doesn't really have a direct translation, or one that really makes sense in English. I think the explanations provided here would suffice, but that's up to admins.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 04:20 PM
Trusted Editor

Also, according to that site (http://kimigayosubs.weebly.com/gochi...-week-one.html), track 26 is another play on words with a double meaning of the word for strawberry.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 04:23 PM
VGMdb Staff

May I ask where the new title comes from? Searching Google for "Sounds of Gochisou" returns only VGMdb.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 04:25 PM
Trusted Editor

Read the thread? I'm not going to update the title or the tracklist until the information compiled here is complete.

*edit* Sorry, that sounded snippy. It's a work in progress. I started updating as some more info became available but I don't want to keep updating it only to have to update it again. I think we're almost done.

Last edited by dancey; Dec 30, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:11 PM
VGMdb Staff

I did read the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey
I don't know what "Gochiso Note" is or means.
This doesn't explain why you removed it from the title and replaced it with something else.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:52 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
This doesn't explain why you removed it from the title and replaced it with something else.
Yes, it does.

Quote:
to

Quote:
Gochiso itself means feast so Gochiso Note would mean recipes of superb dinners written in a notebook, but I think keeping Gochiso Note is fine.
to

Quote:
(I changed it here because this sounded reasonable)

to

Quote:
It seems to have triple-meaning, and if the katakana is ノオト, I'd also go with Oto (Sound), but with ノォト, I think it's still supposed to be Note. The protagonist in the drama actually has ノォト, and it's a notebook. I'm not pushing it though.
to

Quote:
Track 02
Cedille is right on ノォト; ノォト means ノート (note) and nothing else here.
It's Meiko's cooking (paper) notebook. See picture below.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 06:10 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Okay, that's progress, thanks. Here's the current version (still some holes):

15 Calpis
You should not use Calpis as an English translation for track 15. Keeping Sunopika might be better. NHK doesn't own/pay copyrights for Calpis brand in this show. They just intended to do an ad in the form of Calpis used to do back then. Think of it like the "Pony" (Sony) brand found in many old (?) anime or more recently "Garugari-kun" (Garigari-kun) in CHAOS;HEAD video games.

Word play here is that modern Japanese mind will read from left to right ("Sunopika") while in fact, like in Meiko's cooking note, it should read from right to left ("Kapinosu").

Speaking of word play, and after reading Yoko Kanno's comment on the soundtrack (http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/...n/A008451.html, top news, 2nd paragraph, originally from news dated 17th October), it appears both Cedille and Phonograph were spot on on the translation for ゴチソウノォト. But I still think we should not use "oto (音) as sound/music but as note:
-> ノート (音符): the pitched sound (or a symbol for a sound) in music; thus referring to the soundtrack itself and making a parallel between music and cooking; sheet music / cooking book, instruments / cooking tools, etc.... (hope you get the idea, otherwise sorry for my poor English )
-> ノートブック: Meiko's cooking notebook (written ノォト in the show).

We have then one word with 2 meanings (even 3) that have same pronunciation. The English word "note", luckily, suits that Japanese word play quite well. I think it's definitely settled then
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:16 PM
Trusted Editor

I'm wondering if Shiruko na Yuutsu could bean something like "Sad like Sweet Red Bean Soup" or "Sadness over Sweet Red Bean Soup"? There is a synopsis on this blog here (http://netabare1.blog137.fc2.com/blog-entry-2911.html) for episode 22 that has something to do with shiruko, maybe it contains something useful? I can't make much of it.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 07:10 AM
Trusted Editor

*edit* nevermind, misread it
Old Feb 7, 2014, 06:36 PM

13 鴨のファンファレ -> 鴨のファンファ
20 オルゴルの死 -> オルゴルの死

02 ゴチソウノト -> ゴチソウノ
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:21 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
13 鴨のファンファレ -> 鴨のファンファ
20 オルゴルの死 -> オルゴルの死

02 ゴチソウノト -> ゴチソウノ
No on all counts, written incorrectly in the books and on the case.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:50 AM

what I was wanting to show with these colors is they used a certain size for ア and オ that you can replace by ー (it's the commonly used character)
and they used a smaller size for ォ like for saying it's not meant to be replaced by ー but by another character because if it was a オ, so it could be "note"

but "sounds of a feast" sounds better than "feast note(book)" (<-- for this one, if I were them, I'd have chosen another phrase like "cookbook" or "ryouri no hon" but maybe a bit different to have "gochisou")
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:31 AM
Trusted Editor

Ah okay I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to get edited.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:06 AM
VGMdb Staff

Title issue still needs to be solved. Not satisfied at the moment.

Also, credits for anyone that wants to add them:
Spoiler:
Old Jun 1, 2014, 09:39 AM

A decent effort by Kanno. It would be enjoyed more by listeners less familiar with her previous work. Pretty much everything here contains recycled strains and phrases and structures from her past work: I heard Turn-A Gundam, Brain Powerd, Napple Tale, Wolf's Rain, and more.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 09:03 AM

I found there is beautiful work here. Particularly towards the end of the soundtrack. I do agree that it does remind me of some stuff in the past, and maybe it is from some of those works that Jormungand mentioned. Regardless, great music is great music.

Highlights for me: YUTARO (aspects do sound familiar), Suki na Hitode, Kanshouteki, Tonogata